Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Got a run against a 5th Gen Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 02:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a run against a 5th Gen Camaro

On my way to the J.O.B. I was cruising the middle lane minding my own trying to achieve that ever elusive 28 mpgs. I saw the unmistakable tail lights of a 5th Gen ahead of me so I sped up a little to investigate. After I got along side I looked over but the driver didn't acknowledge me. I thought the hell with it so I gingerly cruised away. After getting maybe 6 car lengths ahead, He does a fly by which I though was odd, but hey I'm guessing he is down to run now. I speed up to catch up and drop it down to third and hold it there. My car is louder than his and I know he can hear me. We both have our window down and I ask him if he wants to run em'. He doesn't say anything back to me, just kind of gives me this weird head roll like "yeah okay". He looks younger than me and maybe he is being a little cocky.

We continued slowing down during our exchange to about 50ish when out of no where he just hits it before I even start honking the horns. I was already in the process of dropping to 2nd gear so I immediately hammer it and The Yeti bucks hard. TC is flickering as I stop his quick 3/4 length jump on me. I shifted to third slightly late so it bounced the limiter for a hot second but third gear proved too much as I turned his nearly one car lead to about a 3/4 to 1 car loss shortly after getting into 4th gear at about 115mph. I slow down as traffic is fast approaching but the Camaro guy just bails and jumps 3 lanes accross the freeway and hits the exit before ever lining back up. I wanted to say nice run, but instead I just gave him the hazards and went about my way.

My best guess is that he was pretty stockish as his car was much quieter than mine. Couldn't tell if he was auto or stick, but by the way he jumped so quickly I'm assuming it was a 6 speed.

It surprised me that I killed him much easier than the Charger SRT8 I ran in this thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/street-ra...-my-g8-gt.html. This is the second 5th gen I have run recently with the same result. Shame it took a step backwards in terms of performance compared to the last gen Camaros.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

i saw one run 13.9 all at the track yesterday

damn driver mod!
Old 09-12-2011, 07:49 AM
TECH Regular

Nice kill, judging by your listed 1/4 mile times you race a auto.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:57 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hugger1975
i saw one run 13.9 all at the track yesterday

damn driver mod!
Yeah I've seen a few 14 second runs from the stock auto guys at infeneon when I was running 12s. Driver Mod FTW all day at the track.

Originally Posted by sweetC5
Nice kill, judging by your listed 1/4 mile times you race a auto.
Fastest auto I have seen at the track I go to ran a 12.79. It was tune and intake in -500 DA. Every LS3 Camaro I have seen there is supercharged so there is no comparison.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:35 PM
TECH Regular

You roll raced, your MPH in the 1/4 is 107-108... those are SS auto numbers, LS3s run 110 plus stock. Mine with headers runs 112 at 3000ft... M6 cars are much faster, unless the guy cant drive for sh$t! You raced an auto.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good kill, i put a bus on the auto 5th gen i ran a few weeks ago
Old 09-12-2011, 01:23 PM
Teching In

You roll raced, your MPH in the 1/4 is 107-108... those are SS auto numbers, LS3s run 110 plus stock. Mine with headers runs 112 at 3000ft... M6 cars are much faster, unless the guy cant drive for sh$t! You raced an auto.
I have a question for you regarding 1/4 miles for auto's and sticks. My car is holding and redlining third gear through the traps which effects my MPH. What gear are M6's trapping in? How about autos?
Old 09-12-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Regular

Dont know about autos but my M6 is redlined at the stripe in 3rd, you can ethier hold it or shift 4th a tad early. Some people have ran faster shifting 4th and some have not, I just let mine bounce off the limiter. You seem to have the same problem, but as long its not falling on its face before the stripe your good. You pretty much want your car to be at redline at the stripe.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:14 PM

Good kill! I've been dying to race a stock LS3 Camaro. I figure it could go either way, but I bet it will be a good race.

You roll raced, your MPH in the 1/4 is 107-108... those are SS auto numbers, LS3s run 110 plus stock.
Mph in the 1/4 doesn't always tell the whole tale when it comes to roll racing. When my car was trapping 106 I raced a friend with a Mustang who trapped consistent 107 mph. From a dig on the street he would get out on me and I was just able to stop his pull at the end of the race, with him about 2 cars in front. From a 5 mph roll I was blowing by him so bad at 100 mph that people thought I sprayed him.

Usually you can get a good idea of how cars will do based on mph in the 1/4, and I'm not saying it wouldn't hold true in this case, but it's not a sure fire way to bench race.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:22 PM
Teching In

Dont know about autos but my M6 is redlined at the stripe in 3rd, you can ethier hold it or shift 4th a tad early. Some people have ran faster shifting 4th and some have not, I just let mine bounce off the limiter. You seem to have the same problem, but as long its not falling on its face before the stripe your good. You pretty much want your car to be at redline at the stripe.
Thanks for the info. My car is bouncing the rev before and through the trap which sucks. When I hot lap it shifts properly before the traps and I run faster every single time. Unfortunately it is impossible to hot lap at infineon, so with my new mods I assume my traps would be high 109s. I'll know when I make it up to sacramento raceway in November.

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Good kill! I've been dying to race a stock LS3 Camaro. I figure it could go either way, but I bet it will be a good race.
Find a local meet in your area and make it happen!
Old 09-12-2011, 04:35 PM
TECH Regular

they are heavy, that is why they are slower
Old 09-12-2011, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by The Yeti
Find a local meet in your area and make it happen!
It seems like everyone mods the 5th gens as soon as they get them around here. I swear you must get a set of headers when you buy one.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice kill. So far I have been disappointed with every 5th gen at the track. Even the supercharged one with the slicks/skinnies that comes on the trailer.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Mph in the 1/4 doesn't always tell the whole tale when it comes to roll racing..
this.

good kill op. i want to find a stock(ish) 5th gen ss car to run. i think i'd have a decent chance from a slow roll. i haven't seen any at the track here except a h/c/i car that made 525whp and only trapped 118 .
Old 09-12-2011, 11:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by s346k
this.

good kill op. i want to find a stock(ish) 5th gen ss car to run. i think i'd have a decent chance from a slow roll. i haven't seen any at the track here except a h/c/i car that made 525whp and only trapped 118 .
There was a guy at our track with a 5th gen that had full bolt ons, a TVS 2300 maggie and line lock making over 500rwhp and he was running 12.7s and 12.8s at 112. That is terrible.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:34 AM
11 Second Club

Nice kill Ike! Glad to see you pulled a new SS. I still have yet to run one but I don't think I would have a problem edging one out. I'm guessing it was a manual but he needed the driver mod.

Btw, you see the GTG thread I posted on Norcal? You should make it out if you can! And if your feeling generous copy and paste it on your G8 forum too
Old 09-13-2011, 07:57 AM
TECH Regular

That is pretty bad considering me and a few others around here run those times with headers and intakes! The problem with the car's are the owners not the cars! Most of these guys never had a muscle car before and never been down the track, last time I was at rt66 this guy had an auto SS and he ran a 16 The guys that know what there doing run good numbers, like myself. One of the guys from my club has full bolt ons and a tune, he traps 116 and run 12.50s on street tires all day. Theres nothing slow about that, nore was my 12.60 pass last week... I was neck and neck with a supercharged GTO with nittos. He ran a 12.40 so I was right on his bumper.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:52 AM
Teching In

That is pretty bad considering me and a few others around here run those times with headers and intakes! The problem with the car's are the owners not the cars! Most of these guys never had a muscle car before and never been down the track, last time I was at rt66 this guy had an auto SS and he ran a 16 The guys that know what there doing run good numbers, like myself. One of the guys from my club has full bolt ons and a tune, he traps 116 and run 12.50s on street tires all day. Theres nothing slow about that, nore was my 12.60 pass last week... I was neck and neck with a supercharged GTO with nittos. He ran a 12.40 so I was right on his bumper.
Driver mod FTW. I bet it will take quiet some time until the prices come down on these 5th gens for them to get in the hands of better drivers.

I test drove one at a GM In Motion show, an I couldn't believe how slow it felt. It was an auto. Considering it is built on the same Platform as my G8 and has a motor that stock puts down just as much to the wheels as my tuned car it felt super sluggish. They are an odd animal to figure out to say the least.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:03 AM
TECH Regular

Ya auto's have a bad trans tune, and allot of them get bad gas and the computer pulls timing its a well known problem. The M6 is really the only way to go in my book anyway! Most guys that are aware of the issue do a fuse pull to reset the fuel and timing and it makes a huge difference, theres a huge thread about that on camaro5.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sweetc5, what was your 1/8 et & mph on that 12.60 pass? da? did you have the car dynotuned? if so, what kind of hp did it make?

Quick Reply: Got a run against a 5th Gen Camaro