Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS(very big) 350z take 4????

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 06:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS(very big) 350z take 4????

I've decided not to sell the car as of today. =) I also decided that I don't want the turbo anymore. Its too much for daily driving and the car turned into more of a chore than a pleasure. I've put too much money into the car at this point to let it go for pennies so I've decided to keep it and go back to NA/nitrous. The plans are as follows:

418 cubic inch LS3 block with small bore LS7 heads/NA cam, a bunch of nitrous, and changing pretty much everything. My car was so much fun NA and nitrous the first time around when it was only making 398/503 NA/Nitrous. This time around with the heads/cam combo it should make around 600whp on engine alone..+ a 200 shot of nitrous =). Im going to be making the car much more street friendly as well. Im ditching the external monster pump in favor of Cjs twin 255s, putting heat and AC back in the car, and doing some other minor things like putting a nice radio back in the car(one I can actually hear) The car should still make close to 800whp with nitrous and to be honest, it will be a much more usuable HP which in turn should make the car faster...and ill be dropping the extra 300lbs I gained bringing my car back to around 3100lbs where it was last time it was NA. Ill be posting the build here slowly as I build things up.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds like you have a good plan.. but if you dont mind me asking why leave turbo? Im in the process of leaving nitrous to go turbo.. I understand its a DD but is there a big reason why?? alot of issues??
Old 09-12-2011, 06:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats cool idea,my ls1 is now a 383 stroker with running just a 100 shot and im making almost 600rwhp it is awesome street car i love my car i just need a few things to have it all done.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:52 PM
10 Second Club

It sucked. When my car was NA/nitrous..it was a ******* blast. If I had to do it again, I would of done this in the first place. Turbos are cool..if you want to spend more time fixing and tweaking than actually driving. Going turbo made me so miserable, I almost got out of cars completely. And for anyone saying I was doing something wrong, I wasnt. Even when the car was running perfect and nothing was breaking in half, the car was more of a chore to drive than a joy.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Snyper
It sucked. When my car was NA/nitrous..it was a ******* blast. If I had to do it again, I would of done this in the first place. Turbos are cool..if you want to spend more time fixing and tweaking than actually driving. Going turbo made me so miserable, I almost got out of cars completely. And for anyone saying I was doing something wrong, I wasnt. Even when the car was running perfect and nothing was breaking in half, the car was more of a chore to drive than a joy.
I think if you do it long enough you are bound to get to that point. Hell I once sold my fast car for the same reasons. But now I'm back in a project that has fully spiraled out of control it started as camed 5.3 project. (see sig) Good luck on the project keep the cam streetable and I would run a 3.9 stroke to get more meat on the pistons and ringlands. Good luck
Old 09-12-2011, 07:18 PM
10 Second Club

Eh, I want a bigger cubed engine this time around. And I don't see why it would have a problem with a 150-200 shot at all. Ill be running a 125 shot on the street 99% of the time and a 200 for the dyno and track.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well,..I kinda understand where your coming from dude. Only way I can, is from the experiences myself. Turbo KITS,..are typically simple. Small turbos, restrictive piping, compromises in power in trade of easy installation. Kits like on the cars we make,..are not really kits at all. Meaning you gotta R&D everything at your cost, at your time,..trial and error,, fix this, move that,..melted this, melted that,.. I know. I often thought about giving up on the vette but,..I know, deep down, the turbo setups, are the most efficient ways to make power, for us anyways. We have tried the cam only setups,..fun right?.....then the heads cam intake, full exhaust,..one of the funnest most useable setups in my opinion... awesomeness...I miss my C5 heads and cam setup(450rwhp)...that setup with a procharger,...was a BLAST....if you could get around the ******* BELT issues.....(big bucks)..otherwise, sick, fun setup..... The BIG INCH motors,..one of the most brilliant things to drive(big inch LS1 with proper gear ratios) are totally BRUTES.....add some spray on top....and on the street,...almost unbeatable setup it is. I don't think we ran into a car bac in the day that would beat the sprayed big inch Z06 my cousin rocked for so many years.

Problem with bottles are, well, any hardcore user knows the several issues that go along with spray. freeze/refill/pressure/need of plate or direct port to be proper...plus what it does to pistons,... blowers have belt issues,...plus they use HP to make the power...plus the belt tension on the drive system of the motor...stressful on the motor.... and turbos,... well, once they're on, and setup, they should be issue free.....but, when your custom, there is no such thing as issue free. Oil issues, drain issues, boost issues, hose ****,..etc.

Often, I thought about getting rid of the vette in general,..maybe getting an NA Z06 but....I know, that living in South Florida, i'd run into some car that I wanted to beat,...and i'd soon miss my TT FRC. Sure, I could go built motor and spray but,...to do that right, your talking money no matter what. Sure, your gonna have a ******* blast NA but,..the spray will have it's draw backs as well.

Not trying to deter you,..just know that at the level you are at, and where you wanna be with 800 wheel on spray,...I don't think there is a problem free setup.... unless your talking about a fully, completely built drivetrain,..etc...which is big money no matter how you slice it. Just make sure it's something you wanna do. Since my TT vette, we've got 6 personal turbo cars in some sort of build stage, 4 of which are LSX powered, 3 of which are running. Trying to make power, I don't think there is a better way.

Looking forward to seeing your car, regardless of setup. Trying to talk a good friend of mine into doing an LSX swap in his G35 thats pretty much a race car.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:48 PM
10 Second Club

I do have a complete fully built drivetrain that the turbo setup forced me to build. My car is built around the engine and will be able to handle it. But like I said, Im so eager to get back to NA from turbo I cant even explain it. To be honest, for how "race" my setup was, it was fairly reliable. I traded AC and heat for one thing..that I want back. Also, like I said, "driving" the car wasn't fun anymore. I used to engage in childish and immature shinanigans that I could no longer do with the turbo setup and the only time the car was fun was getting onto the highway from 60-1++. The best part about the turbo setup was telling people I had it turbo'd..other than that, I am fully confident that im making the right choice. The horsepower will be much more useable and controllable with my foot..instead of LAG LAG LAG SPINNNNNN SHIFT (repeat 1st-4th)
Old 09-12-2011, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

makin me feel better about going with my nitrous 402/ls3 setup in the ta.. havent sprayed yet, and it makes 500hp na, but i always had that thought in the back of my mind (should i have boosted it?)
Old 09-12-2011, 07:54 PM
10 Second Club

Well learn from my mistake. lol
Old 09-12-2011, 08:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well sacrificing ac, is not an option in a street car, for that, I understand. As for not hooking,....maybe thats the cars short wheel base..but i'd hook @ 35mph on the street making 780 on a near stock drivetrain. The NA nitrous setup, on spray,...won;t be as useable I don't think man.... on/off... a 550rwhp NA motor, is a beast at all rpms by itself...
Old 09-13-2011, 11:50 AM
Teching In

Sounds like you needed a proper boost controller for your old setup. Something that can control the boost so it was more linear and not so "on/off" like an AMS-1000. Like said before, nitrous will likely be worse cause it will have the same on/off feel and hit much harder! Now on the big power N/A motor, well, thats just plain fun! Either way you go is up to you (and sounds like you have your mind made up) but from the sounds of it either way will be awesome!
Old 09-13-2011, 11:57 AM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One word - Magnacharger

Good luck, sounds like it will be a great setup.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:15 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by okc pope man
Sounds like you needed a proper boost controller for your old setup. Something that can control the boost so it was more linear and not so "on/off" like an AMS-1000. Like said before, nitrous will likely be worse cause it will have the same on/off feel and hit much harder! Now on the big power N/A motor, well, thats just plain fun! Either way you go is up to you (and sounds like you have your mind made up) but from the sounds of it either way will be awesome!
Guys listen, im not sure any of you have driven a big engine, big turbo car before if you are talking about traction being helped by anything other than slicks and a race track....ESP with a shitty IRS suspension, where the contact patch is reduced every time the rear of the car squats. I had(have) a great boost controller, but when you have a car that makes over 700whp by 10psi, no matter how slow the boost comes on, its too much. Like I said, I was running twin 3lbs springs in my wastegates and in 1st gear it would make under 3psi, and even then it was too much. The engine makes over 400whp itself before the boost. As far as the on/off from nitrous, when using it, I will be at a speed where the extra 150hp won't affect traction at all. I never had a problem in the past with it, and now that I have really good suspension and great tires, I should be fine. I've had every form of FI, and going back to NA and nitrous (no matter how many times I have to fill the bottle) has proved to not only be the most fun, but the most reliable out of the bunch.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Glad to see you're sticking with the Z, regardless of engine/power adder... when it comes down to it, you've simply spent too much time wrenching on the various nuts & bolts of the Z to let it slip away and have you start alllll the way from scratch again with another platform.

Lookin' forward to the updates!
Old 09-13-2011, 10:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Snyper
Guys listen, im not sure any of you have driven a big engine, big turbo car before if you are talking about traction being helped by anything other than slicks and a race track....ESP with a shitty IRS suspension, where the contact patch is reduced every time the rear of the car squats. I had(have) a great boost controller, but when you have a car that makes over 700whp by 10psi, no matter how slow the boost comes on, its too much. Like I said, I was running twin 3lbs springs in my wastegates and in 1st gear it would make under 3psi, and even then it was too much. The engine makes over 400whp itself before the boost. As far as the on/off from nitrous, when using it, I will be at a speed where the extra 150hp won't affect traction at all. I never had a problem in the past with it, and now that I have really good suspension and great tires, I should be fine. I've had every form of FI, and going back to NA and nitrous (no matter how many times I have to fill the bottle) has proved to not only be the most fun, but the most reliable out of the bunch.
Own and operate plenty of 800++ rwhp(+) cars on the street for some time, planting power on the street is possible, not trying to change your mind or bust your *****, just ment, I understand you(high hp IRS street car thats had every form of FI as well)-troubles included), I think you shoulda stuck it out but, nobody knows YOUR car like you, and its your choice, so do it up, and have fun man.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:35 AM
Launching!

sux to see you giving up or having a change of heart. I learned alot from your fi builds and applied alot of that to my own z.....think im going to cry a lil bit lol
Seriously, if ur not happy with the current setup change it...... fk dat sht, to many knuckle buster and tooo much time n money spent to be unhappy.

Quick Reply: LS(very big) 350z take 4????