Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Outdoors winter storage :/

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 08:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outdoors winter storage :/

Hey guys I am currently located in Germany and it snows bad here.. Sense I have owned my camaro it's only been in Cali and Vegas weather, never snow. Now I read the stickie on how to store ur car for winter indoors , is there any helpful advise on how to store it out doors? Right now everyday that I don't use it (mon-fri) I leave it under a tree with the car cover. Now when it snows I was gonna clean it, wax it, fill it up, put stabil, oil change, fuel filter, and wrap it with my car cover now then put a high dollar all weather car cover over it, then put it under a canopy tent that I have. I was thinking the gaps from the bottom of the car to the ground I was gonna put 4x4 wood on all sides so no snow get s under the car.. Now is there any other ideas to help me ??? Ugh I hate not having a garage !! I just don't want any damage too it .. I was even thinking of putting a car cover over it then wrapping the whole car with plastic wrap.. At whare houses they wrap pallets in it, any one know what I mean? Then I was gonna put the other cover over the plastic wrap .. But idk please guys help me out
Old 09-14-2011, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, first do not park it under a tree or a canopy/tent thing. Snow is heavy; it breaks tree limbs and collapses canopies and car ports. One of those things falling on your car will do far more damage than a little snow. My best advise put a heavy cover over it and just make sure to go clear it off as soon as the snow stops. Snow by itself will not do any real damage; it's driving in the snow and getting road salt all over your car that will kill you.

We have major snow storms in Baltimore every year, and my car, being my daily driver, stays out in all of them. Nothing bad has ever happened to it from snow.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

ok sweet, so heavy car cover..now if i am not gonna use the car at all, is there anything else i should do??
Old 09-15-2011, 12:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Mouse traps. Don't use poison, and check often for sprung traps.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:15 AM
TECH Resident

Lol^^^ ?? Thanks ....
Old 09-15-2011, 09:01 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bounce dryer sheets are supposed to be good at keeping away the mice. Spread them through out the interior. Wouldnt be bad to also spread some mothballs around and under the outside of the car.

I raise mine up and place it on cement blocks about 3-4" up. I do this cause i have it parked on gravel, if your parked on cement i wouldn't bother.

Like was stated already, use a good quality cover, and brush off the snow.

Otherwise i do most of what is mentioned in the indoor storage tips thread, with a few of these added extras.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

Ok thanks for the advice.. and yeah it will be on cement. So do I take out the battery to? I'f so the battery doesn't go dead or bad ? I have the optima red batt.. Should I change all the fluids? Or just the oil and fuel filter? And when I start using it again mid April ish do I change the fluids again? Thanks for the help guys this means alot... Also anyone know some good named brand covers? 250.00 range ...
Old 09-15-2011, 10:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard good things about the SLP cover. They run like $160.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:04 AM
TECH Resident

Personally, I believe having the car covered when it sits outside is a crap shoot. The only reason I say this is due to wind! You may want to look into one of those more form fitting covers and one you can put tie downs on or something similar. The last thing you want is a cover flapping/blowing back and forth wearing on the paint. I mean, to be honest, if you have an open area to park it with nothing around to land on it, you are almost better to just let it get snowed on. Cause if through out the winter any dust or whatever gets blown under that cover, it's going to scratch. But like I said, it's a crap shoot either way. The only reason I put a cover on my car in the winter while it's in the garage is because I have a very small garage and in the winter time I work on my snowmobile in there as well, so stuff is always flying around in there! LOL.
Good Luck. Did you ever price out a storage area or something.
Oh, and Mice Traps are a must. I've tried mothballs, dryer sheets etc. They friggin eat the $hit. Gotta kill them little bastards.
Oh and let's not forget that these things were built to handle some weather! LOL. Like others have said, it's mainly the salt that kills them.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

SLP car covers are not meant for outside storage. Covercraft car covers makes very high quality and durable covers. Check out their website and ask them questions, their customer service is pretty damn good
Old 09-16-2011, 11:49 PM
TECH Regular

I've personally never used the dryer sheets, just read about it. Also apperantly it is a must that you use the bounce ones, the others dont seem to work.

I pull the battery and bring it inside, and change the oil. In the spring i just drain it and run it through one more time to get some oil up top in the engine.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:03 AM
TECH Resident

At ls1 4 evr, I get what ur your saying about the car cover flying all over.. Right now I poked a tiny hole where the car cover, covers the wheel. And I put a lil rope through the hole and tie it to the rim on all four sides.. And two more holes and tie it to the exhaust. And put elastic bands on my front and rear , it goes from driver side to passenger side and under. So the cover is held down pretty darn tight .. Lol it's just a pain taking it all off when I use the car on weekends.. But I am gonna ck out storage things too .. See if the base offers anything.. Car craft, I will check out.. And I have a original slp ss cover but it just seems to thin... So I leave it alone
Old 09-17-2011, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I heard getting a moisture absorber and putting it inside the car and switching it out every month or so is a good idea.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

if you really want to get serious... they have a clear heavy duty "storage bubble" .. they go for a few hundred bucks.. really worth it imo

google "storage tips" and you will find huge lists of what is recommended.. i have been to germany as well with mine, and i didnt have a garage...and i deployed 3 times so i know all about storing the car, and she looks pretty good..
Old 09-17-2011, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just pull into my spot, dryer sheet the hell out of it, disconnect the battery, and close it up.

Come back in the spring, connect the battery, pull it in the garage, take dryer sheets out, wash it, wax it, drive it.

IMO covers scratch the clear coat because of the wind.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:06 PM
TECH Resident

Ok thanks guys .. Gonna ck the tips out .. Means alot ...
Old 09-17-2011, 03:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

mine sat outside in the snow for a few years.. nothing bad ever happened.

now, my friend put a car cover on his, and rusted in places where the cover "stuck" to it...

also.... +1 on the mouse traps.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

baking soda... keeps the car from smelling musty..
Old 09-17-2011, 06:29 PM
TECH Regular

As you can see from some of the replies, if your going to cover it, your going to have maintain it. Clear the snow, and make sure you it isnt loose in areas flapping about etc. It isn't a thing you can just leave and forget about for all winter.

I store 3 cars all winter with covers and have never had an issue. Pretty harsh winters at that.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:37 AM
TECH Resident

Ok jay p ... Yeah I will make sure to keep up with it thanks for the help ..

Quick Reply: Outdoors winter storage :/