Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M6 to Auto?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 09:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default M6 to Auto?

I am seriously considering a manual to auto trans swap, question is which auto for me and how $. Future goals are 600-750rwhp (supercharged) with a full weight car. It is not a daily driver but its not a race car either. I don't do much highway driving unless I am driving to the track. I want a trans that will last and that I do not have to worry about. Also what would be a good converter.

4L60E: I know they are not the strongest, would I need to have an A4 harness.

TH350: I see some guys running this. Do the TH350 and TH400 shift like a fully automatic or do you have to shift like a man with no clutch.

TH400: I am thinking this to be the best, but uses alot of horsepower and how streetable is this trans.

What to I do with my clutch pedal. How hard is it to space the brake and gas pedals out like a stock A4.

Thanks
Old 03-07-2004, 12:46 AM
TECH Junkie

you could be creative and use the clutch petal for a line lock setup
Old 03-07-2004, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

4L60E will require you to install a stand alone tranny computer, or to get a different PCM and wire the tranny into it.
TH350-Excellent tranny, but will need to be upgraded with a better sprag and drum.
TH400-Big dogs use big transmissions, but the big dog likes to eat power. I still recommend this transmission to anyone that DOES NOT plan on using the car for daily driving duties, or cross country trips. Also it's a waste of your time and money if you don't plan on getting above 500 rwhp or more.

Obviously you would want a bigger stall to help build some boost with your supercharger. 4400 stall/2.7 str/transbrake/reverse manual. You shift it manually, and when you grab a gear, the tranny snaps into that gear instantly. No hesitation, no topping off in rpm, you shift-it snaps.
Old 03-07-2004, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would do a search and PM the people that have done it. If it were me, i would sell the M6 and get an A4