Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon Code E20

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 09:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Monsoon Code E20

Hey Fellas...
I guess I'll tell you the story. Although it may be pointless. I was driving, got a ring on the cell phone and muted the stereo which was playing a store bought CD (not burned). I forgot the stereo was muted and I turned off the car as I turned into my friends house. Started the car back up and the CD started playing again. Still not wanting to listen to it, I turned it off. I arrived to another destination and shut the car off again. When I came back out to my car to listen to the CD again, it gave me the code E 20. The Monsoon system plays other CD's fine. Because the original CD was muted for 5-6 minutes, does this mean it will no longer play in the CD player?

If any of this doesn't make sense, I can brief it up here
-muted stereo with CD
-CD no longer plays and E 20 code thrown.

Thanks in advance.
Ed
Old 03-07-2004, 12:12 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Just that CD doesnt play, or all CDs.

I have gotten a similar error before (maybe same one, I dont remember the code) and my h/u still works fine.

If its just that CD, Have you tried it in another player?

Here is something weirder:
Mine's been acting up lately on cold mornings. If I leave a CD in there overnight, it'll play properly the next monring. If I remove that CD and try to re-insert it or another CD the player wont take it and returns an error (E20,E21,E22... I dont remember). After the car warms up, everything is normal again.

If your car is still under warranty and the radio isnt woring, you can get it replaced for free. My h/u is the second one already. The display on the first one was acting funny. If this keeps up, I may get this one replaced as well.

--VIP1
Old 03-07-2004, 10:04 AM
TECH Regular

This is the first time I've had this problem. Its only the one CD that doesn't work. Ive tried reinserting it and it still wont play. Its weird though because earlier, this CD did work in my car, but as of 64- last night, it doesn't work in there any more.
Ed
Old 03-08-2004, 08:59 PM
TECH Regular

It has now done it to another CD. It seems to pick the times when it want to do this. Sometimes it will play a CD, sometimes it wont. Double checked the code it E20...if anyone has any clue...speak, please.
Ed TTT
Old 03-11-2004, 07:34 PM
TECH Regular

TTT For the last time.
Ed
Old 03-11-2004, 10:46 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

You have a 2001 Formula right? Its probably still under warranty. Complain to the dealer and get it replaced under warranty.

--VIP1
Old 03-12-2004, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Was it a burned CD?
Old 03-12-2004, 03:02 PM
TECH Regular

I believe the warrant just ran out like as of Jan. 1st...thus things are starting to go. I am going to check though. It is happening with all CD's...burned and bought
Thanks guys
Ed
Old 03-13-2004, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lightbulb

Cassette Errors
E10 : Tight tape error Cause(s): A restricted cassette tape transport or broken cassette drive belt Correction: Substitute a different cassette tape. If there still is an error code, service the unit at an ACDelcoŽ Service Center.
E11 : Broken Tape Error Cause(s): A broken cassette tape Correction(s): Substitute a different cassette tape
E12 : Communication Error Cause(s): A vehicle/radio communication problem or an internal radio communication problem Correction(s): Disconnect the battery voltage to the radio then reconnect after a few minutes. If there still is an error, service the unit at an ACDelcoŽ Service Center.
E13 : Tape Communication Error Cause(s): The micro-processor is reading the speed pulses from the tape deck either too fast or too slow. Correction(s): It the tape player is still playing a cassette, try a new cassette. If there is still an error, service the unit at an ACDelcoŽ Service Center.
E14 : Wrapped Tape Cause(s): The tape is wrapped around the capstan. This means a tape is wound up in the tape player. This error message could appear when a CD adapter is being used. Other causes could be old or damaged tapes. Long playing (90 or 120 minute) tapes are thin and can stretch easily creating this condition. Correction(s): Try playing a known good quality tape. Remove the CD adapter.
Cln Tape Indicator Cause(s): This message appears after 50 hours of accumulated tape play. Correction(s): We suggest cleaning the tape head. Then reset the radio by depressing the eject button for five seconds. Cleaning the heads will not reset the "Cln" display. To reset the "Cln" display, push and hold the eject button for five seconds. The display will return to its normal display.

CD Errors
E20 : Focus Error Cause(s): The CD player cannot focus on the disc or there is an internal focus problem. Correction(s): Try cleaning the disc or using a new disc. Make sure the disc is loaded correctly. The road could be too rough or there is too much humidity. If the problem is not corrected, service the unit at an ACDelcoŽ Service Center.
E21 : Tracking Error Cause(s): There is a problem with reading the disc Correction(s): Try cleaning the disc or using a new disc. Make sure the disc is loaded correctly. The road could be too rough or there is too much humidity. If there is still an error, service the unit at an ACDelcoŽ Service Center.
E22 : Motor Error Cause(s): The CD motor is not handling the compact disc properly. Correction(s): Service or exchange the unit at an ACDelcoŽ Service Center.
E23 : Communications Error Cause(s): There is a vehicle/radio communication problem or an internal radio communication problem. Correction(s): Disconnect battery voltage to the radio and then reconnect after a few minutes. If there is still an error, send the unit to an ACDelcoŽ Service Center.

LLAI CD Changer Errors
E30 : Focus Error Cause(s): The CD player cannot focus on the disc or there is an internal focus problem. Correction(s): Try cleaning the disc or using a new disc. Make sure the disc is loaded correctly. The road could be too rough or there is too much humidity. If there is still an error, service the unit at an ACDelcoŽ Service Center.
E31 : Tracking Error Cause(s): There is a problem with reading the disc. Correction(s): Try cleaning the disc or try using a new disc. Make sure the disc is loaded correctly. The road could be too rough or there is too much humidity. If there is still an error, service the unit at an ACDelcoŽ Service Center.
E32 : Motor Error Cause(s): The CD motor is not handling the compact disc properly or defective magazine mounting screws are interfering with the mechanism. Correction(s): Reload the magazine. If there is still a problem, replace the magazine. If the problem continues, back out the mounting screws. If the condition is corrected, replace the screws with shorter screws or add washers to the existing screws. If this condition still exists, service the unit at an ACDelcoŽ Service Center.
E33 : CD Changer Communication Error Cause(s): There is a vehicle/radio communication problem or internal radio communication problem. Correction(s): Disconnect battery voltage to the radio and then reconnect after a few minutes. If there is still an error, determine if the problem is with the radio, the harness or the changer. Inspect for correct voltage at all connectors. If there is still an error, service the unit at an ACDelcoŽ Service Center.
E34 : Changer Door Open
E35 : Changer Magazine Empty

FMI 10-Disc Changer Errors
E01 Cause: This indicates a malfunction of the disc changer functions. Correction: Before sending the unit in for service, perform the following procedure:
Press the reset button on both the changer and the remote. The reset button on the changer is located on the front panel of the unit. It can be activated with the tip of a pin.
If the unit does not operate after resetting it, remove the magazine by inserting a business card between the magazine and the mechanism. The lock lever will disengage to allow the magazine to eject.
Make sure all CDs are in the magazine and none remain lodged in the carriage. If, upon removing the magazine, a CD is found lodged in the carriage, remove all CDs from the magazine and reinsert the magazine into the changer.
Press the eject button. This should cause the lodged CD to move from the carriage into the empty magazine. The magazine should automatically eject and normal operation will return.
If the changer fails to resume normal operation, send the unit to an ACDelcoŽ Service Center.
E30 Cause: Excessive temperature Correction: Let the temperature of the changer resume to the normal range.

Last edited by 2KThunder; 03-13-2004 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Bold
Old 03-13-2004, 02:58 PM
TECH Regular

Wow...thanks a lot. Where did you find that? I went to the dealer today and found out that I am going to have to get a whole new head unit. The good thing is that warranty hasn't run out...I still have 4 months.
Ed
Old 03-13-2004, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

No problem. Good for future reference. It came off FirebirdV6.com
Old 11-21-2019, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by 2KThunder
Cassette Errors
E10 : Tight tape error Cause(s): A restricted cassette tape transport or broken cassette drive belt Correction: Substitute a different cassette tape. If there still is an error code, service the unit at an ACDelcoŽ Service Center.
E11 : Broken Tape Error Cause(s): A broken cassette tape Correction(s): Substitute a different cassette tape
E12 : Communication Error Cause(s): A vehicle/radio communication problem or an internal radio communication problem Correction(s): Disconnect the battery voltage to the radio then reconnect after a few minutes. If there still is an error, service the unit at an ACDelcoŽ Service Center.
E13 : Tape Communication Error Cause(s): The micro-processor is reading the speed pulses from the tape deck either too fast or too slow. Correction(s): It the tape player is still playing a cassette, try a new cassette. If there is still an error, service the unit at an ACDelcoŽ Service Center.
E14 : Wrapped Tape Cause(s): The tape is wrapped around the capstan. This means a tape is wound up in the tape player. This error message could appear when a CD adapter is being used. Other causes could be old or damaged tapes. Long playing (90 or 120 minute) tapes are thin and can stretch easily creating this condition. Correction(s): Try playing a known good quality tape. Remove the CD adapter.
Cln Tape Indicator Cause(s): This message appears after 50 hours of accumulated tape play. Correction(s): We suggest cleaning the tape head. Then reset the radio by depressing the eject button for five seconds. Cleaning the heads will not reset the "Cln" display. To reset the "Cln" display, push and hold the eject button for five seconds. The display will return to its normal display.

CD Errors
E20 : Focus Error Cause(s): The CD player cannot focus on the disc or there is an internal focus problem. Correction(s): Try cleaning the disc or using a new disc. Make sure the disc is loaded correctly. The road could be too rough or there is too much humidity. If the problem is not corrected, service the unit at an ACDelcoŽ Service Center.
E21 : Tracking Error Cause(s): There is a problem with reading the disc Correction(s): Try cleaning the disc or using a new disc. Make sure the disc is loaded correctly. The road could be too rough or there is too much humidity. If there is still an error, service the unit at an ACDelcoŽ Service Center.
E22 : Motor Error Cause(s): The CD motor is not handling the compact disc properly. Correction(s): Service or exchange the unit at an ACDelcoŽ Service Center.
E23 : Communications Error Cause(s): There is a vehicle/radio communication problem or an internal radio communication problem. Correction(s): Disconnect battery voltage to the radio and then reconnect after a few minutes. If there is still an error, send the unit to an ACDelcoŽ Service Center.

LLAI CD Changer Errors
E30 : Focus Error Cause(s): The CD player cannot focus on the disc or there is an internal focus problem. Correction(s): Try cleaning the disc or using a new disc. Make sure the disc is loaded correctly. The road could be too rough or there is too much humidity. If there is still an error, service the unit at an ACDelcoŽ Service Center.
E31 : Tracking Error Cause(s): There is a problem with reading the disc. Correction(s): Try cleaning the disc or try using a new disc. Make sure the disc is loaded correctly. The road could be too rough or there is too much humidity. If there is still an error, service the unit at an ACDelcoŽ Service Center.
E32 : Motor Error Cause(s): The CD motor is not handling the compact disc properly or defective magazine mounting screws are interfering with the mechanism. Correction(s): Reload the magazine. If there is still a problem, replace the magazine. If the problem continues, back out the mounting screws. If the condition is corrected, replace the screws with shorter screws or add washers to the existing screws. If this condition still exists, service the unit at an ACDelcoŽ Service Center.
E33 : CD Changer Communication Error Cause(s): There is a vehicle/radio communication problem or internal radio communication problem. Correction(s): Disconnect battery voltage to the radio and then reconnect after a few minutes. If there is still an error, determine if the problem is with the radio, the harness or the changer. Inspect for correct voltage at all connectors. If there is still an error, service the unit at an ACDelcoŽ Service Center.
E34 : Changer Door Open
E35 : Changer Magazine Empty

FMI 10-Disc Changer Errors
E01 Cause: This indicates a malfunction of the disc changer functions. Correction: Before sending the unit in for service, perform the following procedure:
Press the reset button on both the changer and the remote. The reset button on the changer is located on the front panel of the unit. It can be activated with the tip of a pin.
If the unit does not operate after resetting it, remove the magazine by inserting a business card between the magazine and the mechanism. The lock lever will disengage to allow the magazine to eject.
Make sure all CDs are in the magazine and none remain lodged in the carriage. If, upon removing the magazine, a CD is found lodged in the carriage, remove all CDs from the magazine and reinsert the magazine into the changer.
Press the eject button. This should cause the lodged CD to move from the carriage into the empty magazine. The magazine should automatically eject and normal operation will return.
If the changer fails to resume normal operation, send the unit to an ACDelcoŽ Service Center.
E30 Cause: Excessive temperature Correction: Let the temperature of the changer resume to the normal range.

I've owned my 2001 trans am for 19 years and never had an issue with the 12 CD changer until now it is receiving the e32 message. I removed the magazine multiple times as well as the fuse for the CD player. I don't want to buy another magazine since I don't think that is the issue. Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: Monsoon Code E20