Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Remove 1997 F350 Front (passenger) Axle

Old 09-15-2011, 08:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Remove 1997 F350 Front (passenger) Axle

I have a 1997 F350 that I'm trying to replace the passenger side front axle U-Joint. I have it all apart except that I cannot get the axle out. I believe that there is a C-Clip that holds the axle in the carrier, but I cannot see a clip, when I push the axle in all the way it hits on the spider pin. I cannot see how to get the spider pin out. I know that there's some sort of pin that locks it in place and can see the hole it goes in, but does the pin screw out, and if it does, is it a Allan wrench, star wrench, or does one just drive it out with a punch? I'm stuck on this job as I cannot get the axle out and I don't want to damage anything. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Prescott ...
Old 09-15-2011, 11:34 AM
Teching In

Turns out it's a roll pin, used a punch to drive it out. Now when I push the axle in all the way it can go, I still can't get at the C-Clip, do I have to take the spider gears out to get at it? Or is axle just being difficult and there isn't really a C-Clip there? I don't want to take out the spider gears as they're a real PITA to get back in, especially when one is laying on the ground. Anyone?
Old 09-15-2011, 01:15 PM
Teching In

Well I answered my own question, gave the axle a few good (superman) yanks and it popped right out (all off balance, flew across the yard, look for film on U-Tube ... should go viral ... freakin hilarious.). No C-Clips.

Search this Thread