New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How and should I remove ac?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How and should I remove ac?

Hey guys, got a really bad coolant leak that seems to be from the radiator itself and not the hoses so I am going to be installing a new radiator tonight.... My ac system never stays charged and blows real cold so not having the money to get whatever needs repaired to keep it from leaking I am tempted to remove the system while i have the radiator out... Not sure what all I need to do.

I know most people make a block off plate to put on the firewall and a dummy pulley to replace the ac compressor pulley.... I am in a rush so if I were to remove the ac I would prolly just leave the box inside the dash and firewall and just unbolt the lines for now. I would take from there forward out, the smaller ac radiator and compressor plus all the lines etc...

My big question is why do people use a dummy pulley to run where the compressor is? That smaller belt is only for the ac, why not run it without the second belt and just the serpentine for the vehicle? Am I missing something?
Old 09-15-2011, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Theres no need to run a dummy pulley, pull the condersor, evaporator, lines and compressor and your done. The firewall plate is for heat.

Quick Reply: How and should I remove ac?