Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

2nd gear is MIA or KIA

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 01:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2nd gear is MIA or KIA

Alright, so my car used to be an a4 car and i just finished up a t56 swap about a month ago. 2nd gear has been kind of stubborn sometimes to go into second gear. I hadnt thrashed it much because it wasn't allowing the clutch to disengage above 4 grand. Well, to fix that, bought myself a tick (which to date has been my favorite mod on my car or any of my friends cars), anyhow being the young kid am i, i disregard the fact that 2nd gear may be hurt and i go ahead and do a 6k powershift on it anyhow. It doesnt engage this time though and now wont go into second at all unless is at just the right rpm or if i tap it against the gate a couple times. I wish i could afford a rebuild but Im in a situation where i can probably just fix whats broken and be done with it. Im an automotive technology major and ive pulled manual transmissions apart before and assembled them where they actually shift. My question is do you think it is the synchro or the blocker rings on the trans. Also i forgot to add, i just drove the car this morning and it was kind of having a hard time shifting into first while moving, even at around 5-10mph, also kind of feels like i have to push it in harder or pull on it harder to switch gears. Any advice or direction would definitely be appreciated. Im just trying to find the best course of action for my situation.
Thanks
Old 09-26-2011, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In case anyone is interested, I tore it down to rebuild it. 1-2 synchro hub was ground down flat on one side and all 3 keys were absolutely destroyed, mangled to hell. And the shift fork pads were cracked and on their way out. So yeah...it got messed up pretty nice. Parts come in today to repair it, so fingers crossed that I put it together well