Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

t56 wont go into gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 09:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t56 wont go into gear

Ok so I was getting ready to move my car out of the garage and it wouldnt go into any gear at all. So I shut the car off tried to put it in gear and it went in so i pulled the car out. So when i went to pull the car back into the garage it wouldnt go into any gears so i got on here and searched and seems like some people have had the same problem. The clutch pedal seems the same as it did when i got the car so im not sure if this has been going on for awhile or not. I checked the fluid and it was super super dark not the honey color it is supposed to be. Dont know if this info is relevant but when i first got the car my dad and i took it to the track and my dad was doing a super good pass and a little before he was getting ready to go through the trap he was shifting into 3rd and it like locked up so he slammed it into 4th and still finished with a 13.3. I made a few passes after that and it seemed to be fine for me. So any input is greatly appreciated, im guessing a slave or master. Does that sound like the case?
thanks in advance
Old 09-15-2011, 09:23 PM
Teching In

IF it will shift into gear with engine off sounds like your clutch is not working properly. Maybe try changing the fluid this is achieved by bleeding system from slave cylinder bleeder screw. Just google how to bleed clutch on your specific car. This might help your problem clutch master cylinder fluid needs to be changed sooner than dealer recommends. IMO I would get all black fluid out and go from there DOT4 brake fluid only.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:01 PM
Teching In

hey.. just lettin you know.. im havin the same problem... i did the drill mod, changed the fluid, put a new 300 dollar tick master cylinder and replaced the slave and the pilot bearing... and he said the clutch flywheel all of it looks good still and im still havin the problem...
Old 09-16-2011, 10:42 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could maybe be bad synchros? not an expert but when i had trouble shifting it was because my synchros were bad.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:22 PM
Staging Lane

i know it isnt the syncros because they dont just go all at once usually its a wear with the syncros they will grind and what not before they go out. mine never grinded. Hmm if you are having the same problem maybe we can resolve this together. im going to try to replace the master first since i will not have to remove the tranny for this and i figure i should replace it anyways. then if that doesnt solve it then im going to drop the tranny do the slave, clutch and flywheel. and see if that cures it.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by transamKB24
hey.. just lettin you know.. im havin the same problem... i did the drill mod, changed the fluid, put a new 300 dollar tick master cylinder and replaced the slave and the pilot bearing... and he said the clutch flywheel all of it looks good still and im still havin the problem...
What exactly is the drill mod? and hmm thats weird. did you do this or did an tech?
Old 09-19-2011, 04:18 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had the same problem - I replaced the master and it as still happening, the problem ending up bearing the slave.

Get the car off the ground and try engaging 1st without letting out the clutch, if your wheels start to spin you're having a clutch disengagement issue (what happened to me) - in my case it was the hydraulics.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default T56 won't go into gear

What did your problem end up being?

I had a similar issue last night. I drove just fine to a car show. On my way home after stopping at a light I could not get the clutch to go into any gear.
With the engine off I was able to put it in all gears. I started it in first and was able to get going and eventually I got it into 2nd and 3rd at one point during the trip home after trying multiple times. When I got in my driveway I could not
get into my garage since I need to drive in, then back up then drive in strait. I tried many times and could not get it in any gear, all the forward gears doing nothing and trying reverse would grind.
I let the cat sit there 25 mins, came back out and had no issues getting it into first, then reverse, then first again to park it.
My T56 is a GTO version and the clutch has 1500 miles on it. Master is also that old.
Anyone know what would cause this random issue?
Old 10-22-2013, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Rare96WS6
What did your problem end up being?

I had a similar issue last night. I drove just fine to a car show. On my way home after stopping at a light I could not get the clutch to go into any gear.
With the engine off I was able to put it in all gears. I started it in first and was able to get going and eventually I got it into 2nd and 3rd at one point during the trip home after trying multiple times. When I got in my driveway I could not
get into my garage since I need to drive in, then back up then drive in strait. I tried many times and could not get it in any gear, all the forward gears doing nothing and trying reverse would grind.
I let the cat sit there 25 mins, came back out and had no issues getting it into first, then reverse, then first again to park it.
My T56 is a GTO version and the clutch has 1500 miles on it. Master is also that old.
Anyone know what would cause this random issue?
Man its probably your slave I changed the slave clutch and master all at once.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default slave?

If my slave was bad, wouldn't my reservoir be low due to fluid leaking? It is still full and clear/barely amber colored.

Quick Reply: t56 wont go into gear