Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 Camaro w/ LS2, can not get both motor mount bolts installed...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default 69 Camaro w/ LS2, can not get both motor mount bolts installed...

OK....so I got some time to work on the car today and thought I would test fit the engine. Everything cleared except I can not get both of the motor mount bolts in. I am using S&P adapter plates and stock motor mounts and if you look at the picture below it is off by about 1/2". I loosened the engine stands to no avail, and there is no play to be had in the adapter plates or mounts.

I don't know which SBC engine stands I have, but fwiw they worked with the motor mounts on my carbed motor. I looked at the Energy Suspension mounts, p/n 3-1114G, and the holes are slightly elongated which would help. Has anybody else encountered this?

Old 09-16-2011, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same problem with my 73 Camaro. Click on the link to my build in my signature. Start at post 11 and read through post 38 to see how I solved it. Theres some other extraneous info within those posts, but that will put you on the right track.

Bottom line with what I think causes this with some plates is the position of the holes that your factory SBC mounts bolt to are too high on some plates. Obviously my car uses clamshell mounts, which would be different from what you're using, so I can't tell you the carshop plates I used are the answer. But the principal of the problem should be the same. Good luck and let me know if I can help out further.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GC99TA
I had the same problem with my 73 Camaro. Click on the link to my build in my signature. Start at post 11 and read through post 38 to see how I solved it. Theres some other extraneous info within those posts, but that will put you on the right track.
Thanks....I have a feeling a new set of motor mounts are in my future....
Old 09-17-2011, 01:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is common many times.. You should try to relocate the Frame stand a bit.. usually redrill the Crossmember about and 1/8" to 3/16" of inch outwards, that will usually allow the bolt through.
I had to do that for my Nova. The holes well usually end up being oblong, you can drill, a file or router bit.

BC
Old 09-17-2011, 09:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Update....I loosened the engine stands, then removed the motor mounts and elongated all five holes. It took a couple times but I got the bolts in! They still need a bit more, but you can get the bolts in....I will elongate them a little more when I pull the engine.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Works everytime.. ! glad to see your moving forward now.. Keep us posted..

BC

Quick Reply: 69 Camaro w/ LS2, can not get both motor mount bolts installed...