Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holley VS GMPP oil pans

Old 09-17-2011, 06:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holley VS GMPP oil pans

Any thoughts on the 2? can't beat 150 bucks for the gmpp pan but the holley holds up to 6 quarts. I'm going to be swapping out the stock oil pump for a high pressure pump and am hearing I need to be careful and not go to small on the pan. Also, I'll be moving the motor 1 inch back and all this is going into a 88 Monte
Old 09-17-2011, 09:44 AM
On The Tree

Funny. I just got the GMPP pan for my '88 monte SS. As you said, can't beat the price.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't have the Holley pan, but I have some GMPP's in different vehicles and another on the shelf for a friend. The main difference between the two is the sump depth. I need to cut the sump out of one of my pans and move it up or buy the Holley pan for his project.

My problem is the $250 difference is a LOT of money for about 1.5 inches of clearance, no dipstick, no windage tray and no gasket. For me, I'll probably be pulling out the tig welder and getting busy since the guy already bought it.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

SSlick, Whats even funnier is we both live in Illinois and doing a ls swap, I sold the 406 I had and planned to use and bought a brand new ls1 longblock. Dont know about you but I'm getting all confused about motor placement and headers one person says yeah this fit great other person says no way hits like crazy.

Gofast, were any of those installs you did by chance on a 80's gbody? Really want to keep that oil pan near the crossmember and not down below as I'm also dropping the front end
Old 09-17-2011, 12:49 PM
12 Second Club

As you might have researched the placement of the engine will effect how the headers fit. The further you move the engine back the more clearance you will have with the passenger side header, depending on whose headers you are going to buy. If you try to go the cheaper route and buy camaro long tubes you will probably have to modify the passenger side like i did. I had a exhaust shop move two tubes on the passenger side to clear the frame near the lower control arm area. I know brp makes headers to bolt in without modifing. Also if you have a column shift you have to modify that near the collector because that will hit also. I was one of the lucky last people and have John B. oil pan and motor mounts, he modified a camaro oil pan and it sits right at the crossmember height. If i had to buy an oil pan now i would by the g.m. pan and shorten the sump so it would not hang down, otherwise it would always be on my mind if i would hit something with it.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i have the older JZM / RetroLSx pan which is now marketed by Holley (for my Nova project, my Chevelle has a CTS-V pan), They purchased the rights and design... from what I could see or my opion on the two and what GM did to market something.

The JZM/Holley pan was designed from scratch to be a Retro pan to fit and work out for older cars and trucks from the start. I has a shallow lower sump and short from rear to front, which has worked out well for many 60's and 70's cars/truck for both front and rear steer setups. Only con I can see is that it used a deeper front sump and can use a full windage tray as compared to a F-Body pan which uses a 3/4 windage pan and about 1/2" shallower on the front sump. With a F-Body pan you can get the engine a bit lower in mounting, that trans lates to possible less trans and firewall clearnance issues. But the front sump is about the same as most other Truck and LS2 type pans and only translates to a bit higher engine mounting. But for those that live and die but the inch, it is a lot to them.

For the Muscle Pan Kit. GM wanted to market a pan / kit. So they took the LH8 / Hummer 3 pan cause it was close to something that would fit into older cars/truck due to the smaller rear sump but about 1" - 1 1/2" deeper than a F-Body or JZM/Holley pan (or evan the Vette LS2/3 pans). It will work for many applications in older car/trucks.. But for any Car/truck that is lowered or slammed down. Forget it.. the Lower Sump will hang below the front crossmember almost all the time. Crunch Time !!..

just my 2 cents..

BC

Last edited by bczee; 09-17-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:46 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Every time I see a GMPP pan, it is doubling as a skid plate............

Don't forget to check out the Mast Pan.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The pics i have seen in first gen fbody it hangs over an inch below the cross member, depending on the mounts that are used. I just picked up a JMZ/Holley pan because of this. What engine mounts & headers are you guys using with the holley pan? Also, what trans cross member? Just sent my 68 firebird to paint this week.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Every time I see a GMPP pan, it is doubling as a skid plate............
I have one in my Thunderbird and it is even with the crossmember. Granted everything on that car is custom, but I didn't change the trans tunnel at all and the engine sits at the same height Ford placed the V6 that came from it.

RenoReno2... Nope, I haven't done a G-Body... yet. I have talked to some people about it but things haven't work out yet. Taking into account what I know of those cars I don't think it would fit without hanging below the crossmember. One person to look at is The_Merv. He built a Monte SS and used the GM pan, but his car isn't super low.

The next car I build will probably get a Holley pan for the reasons bczee stated above. However this time around I'm probably going to cut and TIG the GM pan then call it a day, the client is on a tight budget and he already has this pan.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bczee
...For the Muscle Pan Kit. GM wanted to market a pan / kit. So they took the LH8 / Hummer 3 pan cause it was close to something that would fit into older cars/truck due to the smaller rear sump but about 1" - 1 1/2" deeper than a F-Body or JZM/Holley pan (or evan the Vette LS2/3 pans)...

BC
Hey BC,

How's that Hummer 3 pan compare to the older truck pan on depth? I'm forced to use the truck pan and it's 2" below the crossmember. It's prolly safe as long as I don't pull a 4 ft wheelie or blow both front tires at the same time...
Attached Thumbnails Holley VS GMPP oil pans-100_1080s.jpg  
Old 10-10-2011, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

Well I went to the gmpp shootout in Indy on Saturday and checked out the Mast as well as the holley. Mast they had for sale for 399 and the holley was going for 350 so I ended up picking up the holley. The Mast was really nice but 50 bucks is 50 bucks... Also picked up the bmr a arm package as well as a driveshaft loop for a really good price. Was hoping to see some trans companies out but no such luck. Was a little disappointed had a pocketful of cash and no where to spend it =)
Old 10-11-2011, 01:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Hey BC,

How's that Hummer 3 pan compare to the older truck pan on depth? I'm forced to use the truck pan and it's 2" below the crossmember. It's prolly safe as long as I don't pull a 4 ft wheelie or blow both front tires at the same time...
Sorry to get back to you late, the H3 pan is about an inch or so shorter than the full size truck pan. The truck pan is in the 8" range while the H3 is around 7. The oil pan sticky has additional info on all common pans I'm aware of.

Originally Posted by RenoReno2
Was a little disappointed had a pocketful of cash and no where to spend it =)
What a terrible problem to have.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

unless your car is lowered the GMPP pan will work fine on your monte.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the GMPP pan in my '70 Camaro that is slightly lowered in the front. I'm constantly on the lookout for big bumps and anything sticking up in the road. I end up swerving around a lot. It's not as bad as the truck pan, but it still hangs a couple of inches below the cross-member. Careful street driving or track use only = ok. Daily driver...no.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 167 Likes on 97 Posts

Here are some pic's of putting a Holley Pan on a 06 GTO LS2 that is going into a 66 Impala.....

Level with the crossmember.....

Old 10-11-2011, 04:55 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I'll be lowering the frontend about 2.5 to 3 inches and an inch in back. the money the pan cost was worth it imo for a piece of mind
Old 10-15-2011, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RenoReno2
SSlick, Whats even funnier is we both live in Illinois and doing a ls swap, I sold the 406 I had and planned to use and bought a brand new ls1 longblock. Dont know about you but I'm getting all confused about motor placement and headers one person says yeah this fit great other person says no way hits like crazy.
That is crazy! I'm in the same boat. Lot's of information out there. Can be hard to dig through it all and figure out what makes the most sense to you? Trail and error I suppose
Old 10-16-2011, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It also depends on what motor mounts you plan on using. Some will lower themotor more than others. I'm using Dirty Dingo brackets that allow you to position the motor once it's in with regular energy suspension mounts and the gmpp muscle car pan.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Holley VS GMPP oil pans