Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

5/6 gear issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5/6 gear issues

I'm in the middle of a long road trip in a cts-v and have started to get a 5th and 6th issue. I'm not too savvy on transmissions just changed fluids/routine maintenance. Problem is after I let off the gas and get back on it in 5/6 only, I get a harsh clunk that sounds kinda in the bellhousing-ish (sorry). It doesn't do it if I ease into though. All mounts are poly and fresh. Seems to be unrelated to the clutch. I'm 1000mi from home should I just change fluid and baby her home? Fluid/additive(?) recommendations? Thanks for your input guys.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:08 AM
TECH Resident

Check and see how much play you have in the driveshaft.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:15 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Based on it being 5-6, I'd grab new blocker rings and fork pads.
Easy install in a day. And better to do it ASAP than wait for the synchro & gears to grind teeth.

06 had some transparent internal upgrades.
You'll have a more durable blocker ring material afterwards.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:24 AM
On The Tree

Definelty could use a new driveshaft, but they run about 1k for the v and the oem will just fail again :-( Will check into fork pads and blocker rings jmd, thanks again guys.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like the 5/6 driven cluster gear is losing its tight press fit on the mainshaft. When this happens, you have slop between the mainshaft splines and the splines on the 5/6 cluster gear. Mine did this plus had 80MPH vibes in 5th and sixth only. The mainshaft and (poorly engineered) 5/6 cluster gear had to be replaced. In other words, time for a rebuild.

Here is a link to my thread about the 5/6 gear issue assuming that is what your problem is.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...vibration.html
Old 09-19-2011, 10:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 4doorvetteLV
Problem is after I let off the gas and get back on it in 5/6 only, I get a harsh clunk that sounds kinda in the bellhousing-ish (sorry). It doesn't do it if I ease into though. Seems to be unrelated to the clutch.
Why do you say it's unrelated to the clutch? The dual-mass CTSv flywheel/clutch isn't typical to what most people here have every experienced. Clutch problems will first show themselves in the overdrive gears because of the mechanical advantage that they put on the input of the trans.

Sounds to me like you're just starting to see the signs of a worn clutch and/or failing dual-mass flywheel..
Old 09-20-2011, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

I say its unrelated to clutch because its an ls7 clutch/flywheel with about 10k miles on it. The dual mass turd was chattering quite a bit before it was replaced with what should have came stock in the car. Back to the tranny, I'm in the DC area on vaca right now and theres a guy on Craigslist who rebuilds and upgrades tr56/60s only. He wants $1500 out the door with a core swap or $500 to rebuild mine less parts (time is kinda of short too though, gotta be in FL late Fri). Thinking of going one of these routes. Your thoughts guys?
Old 09-20-2011, 09:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 4doorvetteLV
I say its unrelated to clutch because its an ls7 clutch/flywheel with about 10k miles on it. The dual mass turd was chattering quite a bit before it was replaced with what should have came stock in the car. Back to the tranny, I'm in the DC area on vaca right now and theres a guy on Craigslist who rebuilds and upgrades tr56/60s only. He wants $1500 out the door with a core swap or $500 to rebuild mine less parts (time is kinda of short too though, gotta be in FL late Fri). Thinking of going one of these routes. Your thoughts guys?
Gotcha..

That's probably Rick.. He'll treat you right.

Quick Reply: 5/6 gear issues