Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP cold starting knocking noice 02' trans am

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 11:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy HELP cold starting knocking noice 02' trans am

I have a 02' trans am and it has about 8,800 miles. It has developed a cold starting knocking noice and I can't seem to find out where it is coming out from. I've checked the belt tentioners and they seem to be fine. The noice almost sounds like it's coming from inside the engine, I hope i'm wrong. I live about 300 miles from a real dealership that can help me with professional diagnostic help. Has anyone had a similar problem?
Old 03-07-2004, 11:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by martransam
I have a 02' trans am and it has about 8,800 miles. It has developed a cold starting knocking noice and I can't seem to find out where it is coming out from. I've checked the belt tentioners and they seem to be fine. The noice almost sounds like it's coming from inside the engine, I hope i'm wrong. I live about 300 miles from a real dealership that can help me with professional diagnostic help. Has anyone had a similar problem?
I think most people here have this knocking. Could be a lifter tapping or just plain ole piston slap. Most of these cars have it. It's just something that kinda normal on startup. DOES IT GO AWAY AFTER THE CAR IS WARM? Or at least get quieter.

If so, it's normal.
Old 03-07-2004, 12:25 PM
Teching In

Thanks for your reply. The knocking noice does go away when the engine gets warm. My engine is completely stock and I have heard that the stock lifters are not very reliable. I guess I should'nt worry about it too much, but it sort of unsettling to think we pay a pretty buck for our engines to sound like that. Well, thanks for the info. I'm going to attempt to go to my nearest dealership and see how that day turns out.
Old 03-07-2004, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car makes the same noise. 13000 miles. Iguess its normal
Old 03-07-2004, 02:56 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Most of us have it, those of us who do don't like it, but we live with it because we love how the LS1 RUNS!
Old 03-07-2004, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

Yepper....It's the infamous Piston Slap. Usually gets real noticeable between 8K - 12K miles. Some are not as bad as others. Mine sounded like a duramax diesel so they put in the redesigned rings and pistons and had them fitted.

So far so good. Mine was also bad enough that 4 of the 8 spark plugs had to be replaced as well as an O2 sensor. This according to my GM Tech. I am assuming it was because of the blowby during the piston slap. GM did all 8 cylinders with all new coated pistons and new ring packs under warranty.

Hopefully your is not as bad.
Old 03-07-2004, 04:40 PM
TECH Addict

It's the infamous Piston Slap

We all have it...
Old 03-07-2004, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by XtinctHawk02

We all have it...

Not true.....Some only last seconds others last for several minutes. Some even claim that they have never had it.

So do your research B4 you go calling people weird. Not only would it make you look smarter but you would feel smarter too.
Old 03-07-2004, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

go to PISTON SLAP.COM you will find it very helpful.!! vettes and vipers my kick my *** but a ricer will never own me.!!!
Old 03-07-2004, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I also suffer from a pretty bad case of piston slap. And yes it's normal on our defective engines, I have heard plenty of f-bodys that don't have it, so according to most people they prolly have a problem.....right??? And our rattling engines are the good ones!!!! yea right. Go to the dealer with as much info and knowlege you can gather and tell them what is wrong. Some have gotten new motors or pistons and some like me got an extended warranty....but i'm not done with them yet, in the last 5,000 mi since the extended warranty it has gotten a bit louder and lasts much longer.....Good luck!! you will need it dealing with the dealership
Old 03-07-2004, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by XuhQshinR

Not true.....Some only last seconds others last for several minutes. Some even claim that they have never had it.

So do your research B4 you go calling people weird. Not only would it make you look smarter but you would feel smarter too.
I haven't noticed it on my LS1 yet
Old 03-07-2004, 08:25 PM
TECH Addict

Let's get something straight before you reply. The sign says "WERD not weird! Read before you reply!! Looks like you need to do your research before replying
Old 03-07-2004, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by XtinctHawk02
Let's get something straight before you reply. The sign says "WERD not weird! Read before you reply!! Looks like you need to do your research before replying
You are correct. I am sorry. No sleep...too much work....Sick all friggin weekend, Gotta fly out on another job tomorrow and work another 36 hours straight.

I will own up to the fact I can't see anything straight at this point.

Again I am sorry and you are correct on that one XtinctHawk02.

Do I need a job that allows me regular sleep and less travel?...You betcha I do!

I aint gonna lie to ya...I could use a good a$$ Whoopin though

Just ask my wife....she damn near hates me when I am sick as it doesn't happen often but when it does I need to just hide in a cave!

Take care and thanks for correcting me on my mistake
Old 03-07-2004, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

You are correct. I am sorry. No sleep...too much work....Sick all friggin weekend, Gotta fly out on another job tomorrow and work another 36 hours straight.

I will own up to the fact I can't see anything straight at this point.

Again I am sorry and you are correct on that one XtinctHawk02.

Do I need a job that allows me regular sleep and less travel?...You betcha I do!

I aint gonna lie to ya...I could use a good a$$ Whoopin though

Just ask my wife....she damn near hates me when I am sick as it doesn't happen often but when it does I need to just hide in a cave!

Take care and thanks for correcting me on my mistake
No Prob!!!
Completely understand.
replied back to your pm.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:52 AM
Teching In

Default 02' ram air knocking noice being diagnosed

Yepper....It's the infamous Piston Slap. Usually gets real noticeable between 8K - 12K miles. Some are not as bad as others. Mine sounded like a duramax diesel so they put in the redesigned rings and pistons and had them fitted.

So far so good. Mine was also bad enough that 4 of the 8 spark plugs had to be replaced as well as an O2 sensor. This according to my GM Tech. I am assuming it was because of the blowby during the piston slap. GM did all 8 cylinders with all new coated pistons and new ring packs under warranty.

Hopefully your is not as bad.
I went this morning to a very small chevy/pontiac dealership that I thought "maybe" could help me. I WAS WRONG!!!!! Now don't get me wrong, I am not the judgemental type but their mechanics made my grandfather look like a 50 year old. All they did was look at my car in "Awe" as if they have never seen an LS1 engine before. Ultimately, I made a decision not to leave my car with them. I decided to go to another place where they sell specialized tires (of all places) and they appeared to have plenty of suggestions that seem possible to me. PLUS they take extended-warranty. I use to have a 94' trans am and I finally remembered that they replaced a water pump with no problems or hassels. THERE IS STILL HOPE that I might not have to travel 300 miles. One of the mechanics in this tire shop owns a 02' Camaro SS and he was totally understanding of my situation. I'll keep you all informed of how it goes I need to drop it off this afternoon and I should have an answer by tomorrow. One other thing according to this mechanic he said that most LS1 engines do have that piston slap but that it should not be very loud. Suggestions like an oil pump, lifter, belt tentioner, a bad piston ring were brought up. Write to you all tommorrow
Old 03-08-2004, 11:27 AM
Launching!

I had it too. GM said it was normal but its crock. I got my extended warranty company to give me a new engine.
Old 03-08-2004, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds good, be shure to let us know how it goes. Make shure you get something in writing if they find a problem, I was just looking over my documents for this issue and I have nothing stating that they found anything wrong with my car, so this spring when I get my car out and bring it in for the pinion seal i'm going to make them explain on paper why they extended my warranty
Old 03-09-2004, 02:19 PM
Teching In

Default LS1 knocking noice diagnosed

Originally Posted by AK's WS6
Sounds good, be shure to let us know how it goes. Make shure you get something in writing if they find a problem, I was just looking over my documents for this issue and I have nothing stating that they found anything wrong with my car, so this spring when I get my car out and bring it in for the pinion seal i'm going to make them explain on paper why they extended my warranty
Well, the verdict is that my car is fine. The Diagnostic test revealed nothing wrong with my car. Like I said before, the knocking noice only sounds when it is started. Once it gets warm it goes away. One of the mechanic who works there owns this sweet 02' Camaro SS and when he turned on his car to show me how his engine sounded. Well, there was no surprise, his car sounded the same. I guess it made me feel a bit better, but it's still a bit unsettling. I'll tell you all something though, one day without my car was bad enough I couldn't wait to get it back and drive......Still, I'll keep an ear out for that noice. If it ever gets real bad or if I start to notice other problems I know what to do. (Good thing for factory warranties and extended warranties) Anyway, Thanks for everybody's imput on the knocking issue.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:48 PM
TECH Junkie

i did the same crap with getting it checked otu and all was good my noise goes away after a min or two and i dont thin its a big deal some oils make it sound better than others i noticed when i swiched form mobil 1 to amsoil 0-30 it got a bit louder but 12k hard miles and all is good
Old 03-10-2004, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

I bought my '02 ss with non-synthetic and the slap was very audible at startup for about 1 min or so. Now that I switched over to Mobil-1 10w-30 synthetic the slap is barely noticable.