Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I run my car w/o EGR?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 11:34 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Can I run my car w/o EGR?

Here's the deal. I have a 2000 Z28 and I bought the non-EGR zo6 intake. I also have some headers ordered w/o EGR or AIR fittings, but they aren't in yet. So if I want to install the intake right now, will I be able to drive it with that EGR hose hanging up there? I assume the EGR is operated by a valve, so is the valve normally open or normally closed? If it is normally closed I guess I could electrically disonnect the valve and it should be ok. I don't have an EGR blockoff plate since I got the race-style headers.

Also, I know I will get an SES light with the EGR and AIR removed, but will it be an instrusive code (will it cause the car to run like crap)? Same question for the rear O2 sensors, will they give an intrusive code before I get the PCM reprogrammed? Thanks for the help.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just take it all off.It will run fine. It will just trow codes
Old 03-07-2004, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

This may help
http://www.ls1camaro.net/sections.ph...ticle&artid=70
Old 03-07-2004, 11:48 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the help, much appreciated, I guess I will head to the store and pick up some metal flashing for some block off plates and go ahead and rip it all out.
Old 03-07-2004, 12:29 PM
Teching In

I don't have an EGR or an Air Pump on my Camaro. No problems other than throwing codes that you'll have to turn off with LS1 Edit.

Car ran great!

Later,
Dave
Old 03-07-2004, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

ditto. I tossed my EGR and AIR pump, tossed a check engine light but the car runs fine. Program it out with LS1 Edit.
Old 03-07-2004, 12:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

had the same done when my headers went in. on 2000 models the egr sucks to get at , alot easier to just shut it of with edit and remove it all
Old 03-07-2004, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

I just installed my headers today, yesterday I took all the egr and air crap off then I took the 15mm bolts that came off the egr bracket and screwed them down into the air holes on the stock headers. For the egr fitting on top of the intake I used a 1 3/8 expand plug it ran fine. Make sure whatever you do that you block off those air hole on the exhaust when I started my car without the bolts in the holes it was shooting out flames.
Old 03-07-2004, 10:01 PM
Staging Lane

Well, I got the intake installed and the AIR and EGR are completely removed. I have an SES light, but I will get it all programmed out later on. Car runs great, seems to have more midrange and a little more top end power with the LS6 intake, but I haven't done a dyno yet. Thanks for all the help.