Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60e wont shift out of park

Old 09-18-2011, 09:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 4L60e wont shift out of park

Went to load my car on a trailor today and it wont shift out of park (4L60e A4).

I have:
The alternator off
ICM/Coil bracket off
Battery hooked up
No oil in motor

Is there a ground or something that I have off?
The brake pedal feels stiff, and I cant press it down much and when I turn the key forward it doesn't release the pressure.

Any ideas on wtf is going on here?
Old 09-18-2011, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See if u can pull the shifter handle/grip off, most likely u lost the little clip under the handle. it happened to me once. if u do there will b like a smaller plastic tube the sticks out from inside the shifter tube that u depress and shift.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:27 PM
TECH Junkie

I was able to put it into neutral when I pushed the car into the garage a few months ago so Im not sure how I would have lost the clip. The brake pedal is firm/pressurized also.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a cable that comes out of the column (interfaces with the ignition switch linkage) that runs down to the shifter lockout mechanism. As I remember, it is not electronically actuated...maybe it came loose somehow down by the shifter?? I can't remember exactly how it interfaces with the brake pedal though?? Something to look at though.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Brake pedals get stiff when the motor isn't running so that's not the issue. Are you saying the trans handle wont come out of park or the handle moves to N but the car wont roll?
Old 09-19-2011, 03:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Brake pedals get stiff when the motor isn't running so that's not the issue. Are you saying the trans handle wont come out of park or the handle moves to N but the car wont roll?
I realize it gets stiff when the motor isnt running but shouldnt it eventually "loosen up" over time? The car hasnt moved in 3 months and the brake pedal is firm (it moves some but not much)

The handle wont come out of "P".

I'm wondering if it's because I cant compress my brake far enough?
Old 09-19-2011, 03:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Sounds like an issue with the shift lock mechanism. The ignition has to be on, and the brake depressed for R to be selected. I would jiggle the key to see if that solves the issue. The brake pedal does not have to go down very far at all for it to release the hold on the shifter.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

look on the bracket of the brake pedal there is a brake light switch should be a 2 wire deal just jump the harness with a wire and see if that solves your problem, if so go buy a new brake light switch and replace it
Old 09-19-2011, 09:29 AM
TECH Junkie

I forgot to put in the OP that I am trying to do this with the engine off (car not started). Sorry for leaving that out. Any more ideas?
Old 09-19-2011, 12:21 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the battery charged? If not, start with a fully charged battery.

Originally Posted by artic99z28
look on the bracket of the brake pedal there is a brake light switch should be a 2 wire deal just jump the harness with a wire and see if that solves your problem, if so go buy a new brake light switch and replace it
Then if that doesn't do it, try this and see what happens. The brake switch shift interlock is not releasing the solenoid at the shifter.

g
Old 09-19-2011, 12:25 PM
TECH Junkie

The battery thought came to mind to me in class today. It is a brand new off the shelf battery so I didn't consider it at first, but I'm going to take it back to oreilly's and have them throw it on the charger for me this afternoon.

Usually something simple that makes you look like an A-hole, right?
Old 09-19-2011, 12:35 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
The battery thought came to mind to me in class today. It is a brand new off the shelf battery so I didn't consider it at first, but I'm going to take it back to oreilly's and have them throw it on the charger for me this afternoon.

Usually something simple that makes you look like an A-hole, right?
Nobody thinks you are an a-hole my friend. If you don't know the answer to a question and you are trying to find the answer, you would look like an a-hole if you didn't ask.

g
Old 09-19-2011, 02:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Haha yeah I know. lol.

I did just have the battery tested and it checked out as good, couldnt get so lucky!
Old 09-19-2011, 02:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gilbert@ace racing
nobody thinks you are an a-hole my friend. If you don't know the answer to a question and you are trying to find the answer, you would look like an a-hole if you didn't ask.

G
+1
Old 09-19-2011, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

I had the same problem and it turned out to be the solenoid thingy controlled by pushing the brake. What I did was pull the center console peice off to get to the shift linkage and just popped it off the shift lever. So now the key lock out still works just dont have to press the brake to shift.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by camaroz28lt1at
I had the same problem and it turned out to be the solenoid thingy controlled by pushing the brake. What I did was pull the center console peice off to get to the shift linkage and just popped it off the shift lever. So now the key lock out still works just dont have to press the brake to shift.
Would it be as easy as replacing the solenoid? Where is it located?
Old 09-19-2011, 04:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

This is not an "electrical" problem as our cars DO NOT REQUIRE a battery to be pulled out of park. Yall are losing it. As a matter of fact, its doubtful that any car on the road needs a functioning battery to be put in neutral..... I mean for safety reasons and all.

The electrical switch that is on the brake pedal tells the computer to unlock the converter in auto cars and activates the brake lights. THAT'S IT.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:43 PM
TECH Junkie

So its more than likely something mechanical in the shifter itself I bet. I'll have to start digging I guess.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:56 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
This is not an "electrical" problem as our cars DO NOT REQUIRE a battery to be pulled out of park. Yall are losing it. As a matter of fact, its doubtful that any car on the road needs a functioning battery to be put in neutral..... I mean for safety reasons and all.

The electrical switch that is on the brake pedal tells the computer to unlock the converter in auto cars and activates the brake lights. THAT'S IT.
I don't mean to call you out. But I beg to differ. the car in question is equipped with a shift interlock solenoid. It will keep the shifter from releasing park if it is not deenregized.

Based on the OP's description of the situation, I would now remove the console or shifter access panel and then try to understand wht is not releasing the shifter. If the solenoid is receiving a signal from the brake switch, then the issue quite possibly could be the plastic release rod located under the button on the shifter itself.

g
Old 09-19-2011, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i had the same problem as once said, just asking if the shifter handle can b pulled up/removed w/o any force?, didnt know if Master tomas tried that, if so than the c like clip came out and u would not b able to depress the shifter button..it connects the shifter handle to the stem, brake pedal can become stiff after many trys to figure out whats going on as that is habitual, good luck..

Last edited by z28241; 09-19-2011 at 11:29 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4L60e wont shift out of park