Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEWBIE: Just picked up the Bird yesterday....help

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 10:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEWBIE: Just picked up the Bird yesterday....help

Sold my '79 T/A for my first experience with a 4th gen. 2001 6 spd WS6, 83K. Borla exhaust. Couldn't take the smile off my face on ride home!! til I got back and the check engine light came on and oil change light, car seems to ping a bit under hard accel, seems to run OK and previous owner "never" had an issue with light, any thoughts, haven't scanned codes yet.

also turn signals don't flash, just one DRL stays on, just bought bulbs and have not put in yet but not sure if thats the issue, are the DRL modules problems on these? do these cars have electrical bugs??? guess I should have researched more before buying this car but bought it not using reason, lusted after it! thanks for any help.......
Attached Thumbnails NEWBIE: Just picked up the Bird yesterday....help-photo.jpg  
Old 09-19-2011, 11:35 AM
Teching In

Turn signal is most likely one of the front bulb sockets.
Take her up to your local auto parts store and have them scan the code to get a better idea of whats going on with the ping
Old 09-19-2011, 11:38 AM
Launching!

welcome & congrats on the bird...

...yup those front light sockets can be a pain. keep us posted on the codes...
Old 09-19-2011, 12:22 PM
Teching In

oil change light is usually nothing. You can reset it by holding the trip meter stock thing lol. i dont remember exactly how, but its in the owners manual. After so many miles it will come on again. As far as the SES light i have no clue could be several things.

BTW if your talking about the your turn signals the best way i find to change those are to get under the car. Theres a plastic cover below the turn signal on the bottom of the car. Just take out 2 bolts, i think there 11mm and the plastic flap will fold down allowing you plenty of room to get to it.

I know this seems kind of obvious, but i didnt know this until i started searching around for a better way to get to the turn signals other then stick my hand through the big hole beneath the turn signal lol.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Thanks everyone , I just replaced the bulb and now both parking lights work but no DRL's, and no turn signals in the front, rears light up but don't flash, front does nothing, except parking lights work fine.....grrrrr

and pulled battery cables but check engine light still on....
Old 09-19-2011, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check to see if your DRL sockets have corrosion. One of mine did so I filed the contacts down a little with a needle file to remove the rust and it works find now.

Take the car to advance or autozone and get them to scan for free.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

for your engine light, take the trans am to your local chevy dealership. ask them if they can hook up their "tech2" to scan for codes and clear them out. For your flasher problems, u might want to cut out both front turn signals, and buy aftermarket. i had to do the same. water likes to get in their and corrode the socket. and also replace fuses if needed. the enginline might be triggerd by your o2 sensors going bad. thats about when mine did.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:14 PM
Teching In

This is Gettin fun.... Went to autozone to have them scan codes, when they did it wouldn't even power reader, they said obd port was disconnected or bad fuse? Why would port be disconnected, ses light still on, now what. Also messed with front signals and nothing, don't even light up with hazards. Just parking Lites work. Buts she's so beautiful I'm try not to loose it.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dont let all these pains discourage you from the car, once you figure everything out it will be a beast... Just keep tracing the problems and solve em.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Chaos07
Dont let all these pains discourage you from the car, once you figure everything out it will be a beast... Just keep tracing the problems and solve em.
agreed, its just new-used car maintenance that the previous owner wasnt interested in..
I got my baby z28 2 months ago, knew about a couple problems with it..
Just spent $400 on new front tires today....
next is brakes...dont know if i need rotors or pads...im pretty sure its both haha.
After that i got 3 codes for secondary air injection fault..
should have it all cleaned up by the end of the summer and in perfect condition for next summer.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:30 PM
TECH Addict

You will soon learn young grasshopper:

4th Gen LS1= MONEYPIT. Owning one is like having a hot *** wife that bitches a lot. When you can get her to shut the **** up and do her job, she's worth it.

Even if it ain't broke, you will still find **** to buy for it.

Welcome!
Old 09-20-2011, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JohnS Z28
agreed, its just new-used car maintenance that the previous owner wasnt interested in..
I got my baby z28 2 months ago, knew about a couple problems with it..
Just spent $400 on new front tires today....
next is brakes...dont know if i need rotors or pads...im pretty sure its both haha.
After that i got 3 codes for secondary air injection fault..
should have it all cleaned up by the end of the summer and in perfect condition for next summer.
Hit up Brakemotive, $165 for drilled/slotted rotors and pads (all 4!!)
Old 09-20-2011, 08:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

obd2 is a fuse...most likely the stereo fuse or cig lighter fuse
Old 09-20-2011, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Get the thing scanned and post the results!

Nice WS6 btw! Mind me asking what you paid?
Old 09-20-2011, 11:07 AM
Teching In

"obd2 is a fuse...most likely the stereo fuse or cig lighter fuse"

I'm definitely gonna check that after work!! that latest issue took alot of my sleep last night! thanks everyone, really appreciate..... drove it around yesterday a bit and its a beast! luv it but think I may be needing alot of help from this forum, but I hope not!!!! any other tips please let me know, gotta really start going through this site. heres a few more pics.
Attached Thumbnails NEWBIE: Just picked up the Bird yesterday....help-ws63.jpg   NEWBIE: Just picked up the Bird yesterday....help-ws64.jpg   NEWBIE: Just picked up the Bird yesterday....help-ws62.jpg   NEWBIE: Just picked up the Bird yesterday....help-ws61.jpg  
Old 09-20-2011, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

OP, I had very similar problems with my camaro when I bought it. Front turn signals wouldn't work, but the parking lights worked fine. Rear blinkers would light up but wouldn't flash. The problem was the flasher relay which is under the steering column. Pull off the panel under the steering column and I believe it is off to the right, someone can correct me if I'm wrong. The relay is round and silver, easy to get to and change, and I don't think it was more than $15. This would probably be worth a try for you.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:51 PM
Teching In

Just replaced turn signal flasher, now they blink but only the taillights,guess I'm gonna try replacing front bulb sockets, anyone know the part number? Autozone or napa, Thanks again
Old 09-21-2011, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ws6sixx
Just replaced turn signal flasher, now they blink but only the taillights,guess I'm gonna try replacing front bulb sockets, anyone know the part number? Autozone or napa, Thanks again
3157 is the PN for the blinker bulb for the front I believe...
Old 09-22-2011, 01:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

At 83k its time for some routine maintenance IMO. I would start with plugs, wires, fuel and air filters, and a set of 02s. Look into a coolant flush, transmission fluid and filter swap, and a rear end gear oil swap should keep you busy for a while and you might learn some about your new car in the process.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:25 AM
TECH Resident

Is exhaust only mod? Car looks good. Did you check the fuses to see if any are blown so you can get it scanned?