Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 to LS2 Swap problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 to LS2 Swap problems

Ok, so I have a 98 Z M6 that I pulled the LS1 out of. I got a LY6 VVT motor with L92 Heads. Got rid of VVT. I replaced the timing cover with a LS2 and I definitely have the correct LS2 Double Roller Timing set with the one raised spot. I extended the wiring from the harness. Completely installed and cranked it up. Went to the tuner and he says the cam sensor isn't responding properly. It is throwing a code for both low and high voltage! I have checked my wiring and have polarity between my connections. I did the wire swap in the harness. I even put quick connects in the wiring and tried every combination of wiring. The car is also throwing a code for the the idle air control, which is new, and the TPS, which is also new. I have no clue what to do. I have already disassembled the front of the motor and checked the cam bolts and I have the correct timing set. The sensor is good. I swapped it out with a GTO and it worked fine in the GTO. I have done all of the things I can figure to do. I am wondering if maybe the ECU is shot....How do I check? Has anyone had this problem? HELP!!!! I am ready to light the damn thing on fire and get a go-cart!
Old 09-19-2011, 02:42 PM
8 Second Club

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Did you account for the 58 tooth wheel on the crank?
Old 09-19-2011, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You have to switch the outside two wires on the harness , leave the center 1 alone . You should be good to go then .
Old 09-20-2011, 10:20 AM

I swapped the reluctor wheel. Had a shop do it. Does the alignment of the reluctor wheel matter? Is it supposed to be lined up a certain way, and if it were off would this maybe be my problem....The crank sensor seems to work fine as far as the computer shows and my tuner said it seemed to be working properly. I already tried all the wiring on the cam sensor harness...
Old 09-20-2011, 10:56 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Alignment of the crank reluctor is definitely important! Did you clear the codes after swapping the outer two cam sensor wires?

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 09-20-2011, 08:14 PM

I didn't clear the codes. It is runnin bad though no matter how I swap the wires. Doesn't want to idle. Pops and gives me hell starting. Especially when warm. It starts right up when cold. I can tell by the way it starts that when I swap wires it makes no difference. What are the voltage values @ cam sensor? I'm sure it pulses, but how rapidly and how much votage should I be getting to and from the cam sensor? I'm sure the creluctor wheel was done properly. Done by a shop that does those...

Quick Reply: LS1 to LS2 Swap problems