Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exclamation Buzzing noise when shifting & shift rattle - ls1 T56

2000 t/a
ls1 m6
157k miles
Factory Hurst shifter

Shift Noise:

I just had the clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, master, slave w/throw-out bearing, pilot bearing and all hydraulics replaced a week and a half ago. As well as the transmission fluid with GM manual transmission and transfer case fluid (p#: 88861800). (Originally I had a problem with the slave sometimes not disengaging the clutch)

I never really noticed it before but now after having this done I can hear a very quiet buzzing noise when engaging some gears before letting out the clutch (maybe it has nothing to do with the clutch change, i just never noticed it before).

Quietly say "vvvvVVVVvvvv" to yourself and that's what it sounds like; it almost sounds like I'm hearing the gear synchro working, although I'm not sure what its supposed to sound like. Anyway, it does this mainly going into 5th or 6th gear. I sometimes hear it in 3rd, but it depends on the speed. In 1st and 2nd I hear nothing. Of course when I shift faster though (instead of casually shifting), I don't hear it as much.

All the gears work good and I don't have any issues getting into them. Since getting the car back from the clutch replacement the shifts seem to have improved slightly, although it may be because of my shift habits and the new tans fluid.

I never remember hearing this before and my job has given me a very good ear for noises, I'm almost sure I would have hear this before it it were happening; has anyone had this problem? Is it a sign of impending problems with the transmission?

Shifter Rattling:

Also, when I'm in 4th gear say at Highway speed and go to step on, or when just under a heavy load my shifter now rattles a bit - if I put pressure on it when this is happening it stops but it is really annoying. Also, sometimes it rattles in 3rd also but not as much. I've checked my shifter bolts and made sure they were tight (stock hurst shift, if it matters?); I even tried putting a small layer of thick paper where the bolts hold down the shift lever and it still does it.

I searched and found that people have had this issue but can't seem to find a clear solution. Is it a engine or transmission mount causing the rattling? is it an internal problem with the transmission? again I didn't have the problem before getting the clutch, etc. changed.

I have no drivabillity issues with the car.

Can anyone shed some light on these issues?
Old 09-19-2011, 07:25 PM
Launching!

small update: It seems like every gear makes this light growling, buzzing noise when shifting at some point (except when starting in 1st of course): but at some engine/car speeds it doesn't seem to make the noise. It only happens when up-shifting also, and I can feel it in a very light sense.

Anyone know whats going on here?

Can the trans fluid be causing this? should I switch the trans fluid back to a generic, regular DexIII ATF Instead of what I got from GM?

I saw some posts that mentioned the pilot bearing causing a similar niose; I'm not a tranny expert or expert by any means but how could could the pilot cause the noise if it only happens when shifting, just wondering. If it matters, mine is new, I got it from WS6 store when purchasing the clutch as recommended to me by the sales guy I spoke with, and it has maybe 400-500 miles on it. I have no vibrations or noises when reving the engine, or pressing in the clutch, letting it out, etc.

Please help, I don't want to ruin anything... the car has already cost me enough, lol.

Edit: Not driving the car much because the gear shifting growl/buzz seems to have worsened. It was happening a big in reverse a few times today (in quick, repeated bursts) ever after it was engauged and the car was moving.

Last edited by j498; 09-20-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:02 PM
Launching!

Update: FIXED.

The pilot was in fact bad. The shop who originally did the work somehow lost the replacement pilot I had, and because they lost it, didn't realize they didn't put it in.... SO, the original pilot bearing with 157k miles was still in there when they took it apart to check. Anyway, a new one is in and the trans seems good now. Hopefully this info helps someone with this noise/problem if they happen to experience it and suspect the pilot.

I do still have a gear shifter rattle but I think I can live with that for now.

I wanna give a big thanks to Ws6 store/ RPM speed and Tick performance for answer my questions about this issue. Awesome guys... now go buy more of their stuff.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have some noise too, like a gear rattle / light buzzing sound. Car runs great just noisy. I too had the entire clutch system replaced. It could be your shift **** too is rattling loose. I put some pipe thread tape on mine and then screwed the **** on, made it slightly quieter.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great info on the fix, thanks. Mine sounds the same with original clutch system and I've read threads on here about the pilot bearing causing the shifter rattle. Upgrading to a monster soon
Old 04-16-2012, 09:00 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm I have pretty much the same issue with my car. I just picked it up from a private seller who had a Monster Stage 2 installed at some point, and it also has a WS6 store short stick shifter. I get a metallic zzzzz'ing sound when shifting in to 5th, at least that's only where I've noticed it at this point, and I also get a rattle in 2nd and 3rd when getting hard on the throttle. I wonder if I have the same issue with the pilot bearing. Anyone have any idea if this is necessarily bad for the car, or is it just going to be a minor annoyance until I can get it fixed?
Old 05-10-2012, 08:04 PM
Launching!

I'm late in seeing this post, but its more than just an annoyance and definitely not good for the car.

I'm no mechanical engineer, but from what I now understand if the pilot is bad it will not let the trans input shaft correctly freewheel from the engine when the clutch pedal is down and the clutch is disengaged, which would normally all you to change gear. The ZZzzzZzz'ing noise is the gear synchronizer wearing as its still receiving some power from the engine (due to the bearing being bad) while you're trying to change gear.

Get it changed or checked out before it's too late.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:51 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Bad pilot can eat up the input shaft where it rides pretty quick... then you are looking at having to replace the input shaft in the trans. OP I hope they checked your input shaft there where the pilot was or the same problem will likely return shortly.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

how can you tell is the input shaft is bad? visually?
Old 05-11-2012, 12:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by stroked383HSR
how can you tell is the input shaft is bad? visually?
You can tell by lokking at it as well as measuring it.

I had the exact same problem last year and it was due to a worn out pilot bering possibly due to a slightly sloppy mainshaft bearing clearance in the tranny. By tightening up the mainshaft clearance just a bit, the input shaft should not be as sloppy and the pilot bushing wont have to work as ahrd to keep the input shaft aligned.

Glad you fixed it.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just saw this thread as well.
If you still have the GM manual trans fluid in there , change it out. It is a gear oil & not compatible with the synchronizer system. This is likely the cause of the delayed/ noisey shifting you hear. Simple Dex III spec ATF is what you need.

Quick Reply: Buzzing noise when shifting & shift rattle - ls1 T56