Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 swap into 88 chevy HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 swap into 88 chevy HELP!!!

ok, this is going into my 88 chevy half ton, but, i will also use it to gain the knowledge to do the 6.0 swap into my 85 T/A with single turbo and t-56.

i an getting a mail order turn from SpareEcm on eBay. And I would like to rework the harness myself. I think it will be very rewarding and i'm very interested in learning how to do it. I do however do have a few questions, and i will try to keep them at a minimum. First of all, I will outline everything about my swap.

I am currently driving a 1988 Chevy half ton with a 4.3 TBI and 2wd 700-r4 tranny. the engine runs rough and the tranny smokes on the highway... i have a girlfriend 300 miles away, and i need a reliable ride to see her. The hot rod part of it is optional. lol!

I intend to not have A/C, it is a single cab, and the airflow through it is plenty good enough for me being 20 years old. it's doable for now.

i do not want electric fans. I am going to use the stock fan that came on the engine.

I would like to wire a fusebox directly to the harness so that the only hookups i will have will be power, ign and constant hot, ground, and guages.

my problem, and first question, when i called the junkyard about the engine (not a local JY, they are a-holes to me) they said it was from an 01 Tahoe. but when i picked it up they said 02 Tahoe. Will this year difference be a problem with pin outs?

also, what all tinkering does it take to the 5.3 truck harness (out of 01 or 02 tahoe) to be a standalone harness? I understand that a fusebox is one thing for ignition hot and battery hot leads. what elseis there?

I was sent here by the forum i was on previously, TGO, because it was not for a 3rd gen swap.

Please Help!
thanks for looking!
Croozer
Old 09-20-2011, 10:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by croozer9854
ok, this is going into my 88 chevy half ton, but, i will also use it to gain the knowledge to do the 6.0 swap into my 85 T/A with single turbo and t-56.

i an getting a mail order turn from SpareEcm on eBay. And I would like to rework the harness myself. I think it will be very rewarding and i'm very interested in learning how to do it. I do however do have a few questions, and i will try to keep them at a minimum. First of all, I will outline everything about my swap.

I am currently driving a 1988 Chevy half ton with a 4.3 TBI and 2wd 700-r4 tranny. the engine runs rough and the tranny smokes on the highway... i have a girlfriend 300 miles away, and i need a reliable ride to see her. The hot rod part of it is optional. lol!

I intend to not have A/C, it is a single cab, and the airflow through it is plenty good enough for me being 20 years old. it's doable for now.

i do not want electric fans. I am going to use the stock fan that came on the engine.

I would like to wire a fusebox directly to the harness so that the only hookups i will have will be power, ign and constant hot, ground, and guages.

my problem, and first question, when i called the junkyard about the engine (not a local JY, they are a-holes to me) they said it was from an 01 Tahoe. but when i picked it up they said 02 Tahoe. Will this year difference be a problem with pin outs?

also, what all tinkering does it take to the 5.3 truck harness (out of 01 or 02 tahoe) to be a standalone harness? I understand that a fusebox is one thing for ignition hot and battery hot leads. what elseis there?

I was sent here by the forum i was on previously, TGO, because it was not for a 3rd gen swap.

Please Help!
thanks for looking!
Croozer

Not to go against what you want to do BUT, For ease of use a PSI Conversion Harness is cheap enough to justify using. You can move forward with other things like installing that engine and driving it. Though doing your own harness is doable, Many others on here have done it.

But look between the lines, there are many people on here that after doing there harness are tracing down gremlins and problems that dont make any sense, Dont get me wrong some have done it with no problems.

my .02
Old 09-24-2011, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm just starting to do a swap for my 89 pick up its a 5 speed any suggestions i ve heard novak is a good place do i need to get a special harness for this or just a stand alone i converted the truck to a solid axle in the front and a 77 full floater 14 bolt in the rear so im used to doing conversions but this is new to me i already have a 5.3 litre any cam suggestions for a truck always looking for new hps

Quick Reply: 5.3 swap into 88 chevy HELP!!!