Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need some help with the trans

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 09:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need some help with the trans

I've got a few concerns with the transmission. Preface - When I bought the car the seller said the clutch is probably on it's way out. His reasoning was that if you give it too much gas when starting out in first it's a little rough. The car is mostly stock minus the intake and cat-back. Has 103k miles. No idea of history other than the guy owned it from 30k miles on and since 05.

What I've noticed:

1. The clutch holds well, it will spin the tires slightly in third at ~70mph wot. There's no slippage that I can tell.

2. Car will occasional have a very slight grind when going into third during moderate driving (~2500 rpm shifts) Only happens maybe once every 50 shifts.

3. Car has gear noise in the trans at idle with the clutch engaged. If I disengage the clutch the noise stops. Car will also make whirring/gear noise in 1st-4th gears. It's not overly loud but you can hear it. It's louder when the car has reached full operating temperature.

4. If shifting into second at moderate to heavy throttle (4000rpm shift) it sounds like the clutch may slip a little going into second. It's a rough sound as if you would rub two brake pads together or something. Or like tires spinning slightly in small gravel/sand. This is also the same sound/feeling as the "roughness" referred to above if you try to take off too quickly. My guess is just typical clutch slippage.

I haven't tried a full shift from 1st to 2nd yet. Kind of scared since I stripped the teeth off of my ring/pinion in my old car last time I did that. I know I have probably 100rwhp less than I did then plus 3.43 gears opposed to 4.10. But still not wanting to spend the money on a new set of gears this early into ownership.

So what's the consensus? I'm going to change the trans fluid here soon to see if it clears up the noise and figure I'm closing in on a new clutch. I'm just hoping I don't need a rebuild.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I bet the pilot bearing is garbage and the input shaft bearing needs replacing to.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im with him. Plates sound ok since no slipping mine r on their way out when I drive her hard after a min or so shes slips some
Old 09-23-2011, 11:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So new problem arose. If I put the shifter in 3rd gear and let my hand off before I realease the clutch, sometimes it pops out of 3rd. So far everytime I've tried to put the car in 3rd (from a standing stop), take hand off, slowly release clutch until it starts to engage, it will pop out of 3rd.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed: similar issue with 4th.