Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Underdrive Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Underdrive Pulley

What is the real reason for people doing this? Does it help the power curve? What is the biggest advantages for people doing this modification. Ive noticed it a lot in people sigs.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:05 PM
12 Second Club

The basic idea for it is to "free up" more hp. It's a very minimal gain to my knowledge. All of your belt driven accessories rob power from the engine such as power steering, a/c, oil pump, ect. The aftermarket underdrive pulley is smaller than the stock i believe and is supposed to turn those accessories easier. Anyone can jump in and correct me if im wrong. Hope this helps.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by impulsegoat
The basic idea for it is to "free up" more hp. It's a very minimal gain to my knowledge. All of your belt driven accessories rob power from the engine such as power steering, a/c, oil pump, ect. The aftermarket underdrive pulley is smaller than the stock i believe and is supposed to turn those accessories slower. Anyone can jump in and correct me if im wrong. Hope this helps.
I think this may have been what you meant...
Old 09-27-2011, 03:57 PM
Launching!

IMO it seems shops push them when they do cam work on a car. I've seen claims of 8-10whp from an UDP, but its rare you seem someone do "just" and UDP with no other mods to be measured (and dynoed before and after with just the mentioned).

The only graph I've found that was simply a UDP before and after, netted an 1-2whp gain across the board. It basically looked like two lines drawn on top of each other with the UDP having an average slight gain.

I'd love for the sponsors that claim 8-10 throw a graph up just a UDP before and after, but I doubt I'll see one.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:11 PM
11 Second Club

I don't think it's really worth it. Had them on my Z28 and if I did gain anything it wasn't anything to care about. Besides watching the Alternator half *** charge.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by camaro98z28
I don't think it's really worth it. Had them on my Z28 and if I did gain anything it wasn't anything to care about. Besides watching the Alternator half *** charge.
Thanks for the responses, i was just curious....i figured it was more of a mod to just "do," because its possible it could give you a little extra.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:16 AM
Launching!

Sound like a waste of time and money to me...

Quick Reply: Underdrive Pulley