Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4K on T brake on a 3600 stall will it hurt it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 08:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4K on T brake on a 3600 stall will it hurt it?

On a high end billet converter will it bend the vains or do any other damage if you take it past the stall speed on the Trans brake? My billet converter goes to 4000 and builds 8lb's boost on the brake, is that a problem or should I set up a 2 step to limit it to 3600?
Old 09-21-2011, 01:08 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It won't hurt it. It's just building boost and pushing past the converters stall. That being said I would still use a 2 step to set it a couple hundred rpm before the max stall speed so you get a nice flash and hit off the line.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:35 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Isn't that exactly what is supposed to happen? I thought with a brake it would always overstall the converter, else there wouldnt ever be a load on the tranny to begin with. (IE: it has to push through the stall speed). Am I not understanding this right?
Old 09-21-2011, 10:17 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it is a billet piece then it has good internal components. Who built it?

If they tig welded each fin at every location that could and should be welded then you won't hurt it. Torque converter stall speeds are not an exact science gang. even the best of the best builders will tell you they can only get it close to the desired stall speed the first time out. From there it's like any other component of the race car... it needs to be fine tuned. Meaning, if it isn't stalling at the correct rpm then it will need to come out and be sent back to the builder for some tweaking.

Now, the real question how does the car perform with that converter? Was that converter built for your specific application or did you get it used from someone else?

g
Old 09-21-2011, 10:28 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gilbert@Ace Racing
If it is a billet piece then it has good internal components. Who built it?

If they tig welded each fin at every location that could and should be welded then you won't hurt it. Torque converter stall speeds are not an exact science gang. even the best of the best builders will tell you they can only get it close to the desired stall speed the first time out. From there it's like any other component of the race car... it needs to be fine tuned. Meaning, if it isn't stalling at the correct rpm then it will need to come out and be sent back to the builder for some tweaking.

Now, the real question how does the car perform with that converter? Was that converter built for your specific application or did you get it used from someone else?

g
The converter shop in Lake Havasu, it's the builder that Jake's Performance uses, yes built for my specific application. It works great on the street, haven't taken it to the track yet, had to wait for a stronger driveline. Just for fun, I tried launching it on the street at 4lb's w/drag radials and it left 10ft of solid black marks and the car rolled out at about 5 miles an hour.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:30 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DietCoke
Isn't that exactly what is supposed to happen? I thought with a brake it would always overstall the converter, else there wouldnt ever be a load on the tranny to begin with. (IE: it has to push through the stall speed). Am I not understanding this right?
Yes to a point, but it's possible to bend the vains on the stator, I'm just not sure what that point is, I'm asking for a little hand holding here it's new territory.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:07 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

It's good info for me too, since my trans is the first brake i've ever messed with.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:51 PM
10 Second Club

Any opinions from the sponsors?
Old 09-23-2011, 10:24 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stator fin will not bend. If it is an aluminum part, it can crack or shatter. If it is a steel stator, you cannot hurt it. The Typical failure for a staor is for the sprag inside it to grenade.

You will not hurt your converter by taking it past the rated stall speed. However, your car is probably not going to be as fast as it could be if it is blowing through it. What did the converter manufacturer say? Did you call the guy who built it?
Old 09-23-2011, 12:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The fact that it is going past its rated stall speed does not mean it is damaging it. The stall speed all relative to input torque, and turbo cars are the hardest to build for. So, assuming the converter is built correctly, you are ok. You might want to use a 2 step for consistency and softer launch, that is another story....

Chris
Old 09-30-2011, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Circle-D
The fact that it is going past its rated stall speed does not mean it is damaging it. The stall speed all relative to input torque, and turbo cars are the hardest to build for. So, assuming the converter is built correctly, you are ok. You might want to use a 2 step for consistency and softer launch, that is another story....

Chris
i agree, converter tech has changed a lot, well, more like strength! most of the builders will list a flash stall speed, and it all depends on torque output. there will always be controversy, some list what it will stall on the foot brake, some a flash stall, some on the brake. unless it is custom built to your spec. "if you tell the truth to the builder" it should be close to what you asked for. i learned over the years just not to ask. i just tell them what i have and what i want to do with it. they build it and i smile!

the nice thing about a two step is you can leave however hard the track conditions will hold.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:09 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by madmax4499
i agree, converter tech has changed a lot, well, more like strength! most of the builders will list a flash stall speed, and it all depends on torque output. there will always be controversy, some list what it will stall on the foot brake, some a flash stall, some on the brake. unless it is custom built to your spec. "if you tell the truth to the builder" it should be close to what you asked for. i learned over the years just not to ask. i just tell them what i have and what i want to do with it. they build it and i smile!

the nice thing about a two step is you can leave however hard the track conditions will hold.
Makes sense, it's hard to "tell the truth" sometimes when you have a turbo car, they build so much torque that it's hard to know within a few 100 rpm where your going to be. A few changes like a/r on turbo, afr, timing and you could be a good 500-1000rpm above what you thought.

My converter works fine and as I get the motor dialed in I'm seeing more torque lower in the rpm, now with some tweeking I've seen 14lb's @ 4500 on the brake.

Quick Reply: 4K on T brake on a 3600 stall will it hurt it?