Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

ls6 oem pressure plate and upgraded disk

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 11:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ls6 oem pressure plate and upgraded disk

ok i need a clutch for my drift ls1 car. im thinking ls6 clutch, but i want to ditch stock disk. is it ok to get say a 6 puck disk and use it with oem pressure plate?? motor will be stock with bolt ons. please advise.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:47 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Couple reasons why you shouldn't do this. First, disc thicknesses can vary and you don't know that the lift/release of the stock pressure plate will be enough to fully disengage it. Second, combining a disc with an aggressive friction material with an OE flywheel pressure can be catastrophic(ie exploding) as other manufacturers in the past have found out. Especially if you're going to be drifting the car where the clutch is going to see extreme heat.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:24 PM
TECH Resident

I have done exactly why you asked. I used stock ls6 PP with a 6 puck "brass pucked" disc. It worked well but maybe I got lucky. Also it was very crappy to drive lol tons of chatter. It was very much an on/off switch. I hated it
Old 09-21-2011, 08:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
Couple reasons why you shouldn't do this. First, disc thicknesses can vary and you don't know that the lift/release of the stock pressure plate will be enough to fully disengage it. Second, combining a disc with an aggressive friction material with an OE flywheel pressure can be catastrophic(ie exploding) as other manufacturers in the past have found out. Especially if you're going to be drifting the car where the clutch is going to see extreme heat.
your website is quite impressive. i was thinking act but i could try monster
Old 09-22-2011, 11:08 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

A Monster Clutch would be a much better idea. Pick your power level and never look back: http://www.tickperformance.com/brand...er-Clutch.html
Old 09-22-2011, 11:45 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by sr57e
your website is quite impressive. i was thinking act but i could try monster
Thank you, feel to contact me with any questions. Chris, 817-750-2000
Old 09-22-2011, 11:56 AM
FormerVendor

We currently supply a number of drifters with our Stage 3 and Stage 4 clutch kits. These are complete assemblies that eliminate the SAC-type (self-adjusting cover) LS6 pressure-plates that are commonly problematic, expecially when driven aggressively or raced. You will need either a stock LS1 flywheel or one of our Billet Steel or Aluminum flywheels with this option. Check the link below for specifics and I will be happy to assist you with any questions you may have.

BTW, in what series are you running? We work with all the major drift series and will be at the XDC event this weekend. If you are there drop by the booth and you can see the available options. Thanks!

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Chevy/Camaro/2001/Single
Old 09-22-2011, 11:41 PM
Teching In

yea ill be there. im building me another car after 2 years being off the track. can the stage 3 6 puck be used with say fidanza? i prefer a rev happier motor. also the monster clutch, could i just pick it up? better than paying 50 for shipping
Old 09-23-2011, 11:21 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by sr57e
yea ill be there. im building me another car after 2 years being off the track. can the stage 3 6 puck be used with say fidanza? i prefer a rev happier motor. also the monster clutch, could i just pick it up? better than paying 50 for shipping
If you're in the area of course. I'd recommend our billet steel 18lb flywheel as it won't warp like the steel insert in an aluminum flywheel. We actually have our 11" Ceramic clutches with lightweight flywheels in a few drift cars. Our Level 3 would would great as well.

Quick Reply: ls6 oem pressure plate and upgraded disk