New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought an 00 camaro for a good deal! Monsoon?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 06:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought an 00 camaro for a good deal! Monsoon?

Hey guys, just bought a black 00 z28 yesterday (ttops, leather) I'm away at work so I dealt with the bank over the phone and friends picked it up for me last night. Anyway is there a way this car doesn't have the monsoon system? I also had a formula 2000 cloth seats and that thing had it so I imagined the camaro does but my friend said it doesn't sound nearly as good ):
The car has 74,000 miles, flawless in and out, bought for 5500. (:
Old 09-21-2011, 06:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

should have it i think, have him look at the face and it should say monsoon in the corner. congrats on the find!
Old 09-21-2011, 02:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish mine didn't have the monsoon system... it'd make it easier to upgrade everything without having to rip all the monsoon junk out.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:39 PM

if i remember right, all Z28 and SS Camaros came with the Monsoon system as standard equipment. they sound OK in the hardtop coupe, but in the T-Top cars, they were just meh. getting rid of them is a pain in the rear. the reason being the wiring is setup only to work with the monsoon system. the monsoon system was actually made by Bose. so as is the case with many of the Bose product line, their stuff is usually some proprietary setup. so to get rid of the setup, you can either get rid of everything by re-wiring the car's sound system completely OR check companies like Crutchfield and see if they may have developed an adaptor or wiring harness that will work.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by soxin2008
Hey guys, just bought a black 00 z28 yesterday (ttops, leather) I'm away at work so I dealt with the bank over the phone and friends picked it up for me last night. Anyway is there a way this car doesn't have the monsoon system? I also had a formula 2000 cloth seats and that thing had it so I imagined the camaro does but my friend said it doesn't sound nearly as good ):
The car has 74,000 miles, flawless in and out, bought for 5500. (:

Monsoon sounds good??? That's news to me!

Anyway, it should be standard. Have them check the face of the head unit. It should say monsoon near one of the corners.

But, just to verify, have them pull the hatch panel and just ahead of the spare tire (more towards the front the the door), there should be a black bracket held with two bolts holding a small amp. If it exists, it's a monsoon system.