Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear of my car picks up when i launch?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 03:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear of my car picks up when i launch?

When i launch at the track the rear of my car picks up about 5 inches. I know my 60 ft is hurting from it. Just wondering if anyone had this problem before with thier f-body. Ive talked to bmr and they gave me a few things to try and also i have a few things from some local friends to try.

Heres my setup..

Front bmr k member
front 1 inch lowering lower control arms (Which im wondering if my car is to low in the fron to transfer weight to the rear)
stock 250k mile front struts
no front sway bar
bmr track pack short torque arm (im going to try to lower the front of the arm to change the center of gravity but i dont know if this will change anything because everyone runs theres high like i have mine.)
9inch ford rear with a spool and 3.20 gears(turbo car)
bmr adjustable lca's
relocation brackets adjusted all the way down (bmr advised me to try them up a notch which i am this weekend)
stock rear sway bar (i know i need a drag bar but come on)
stock rear springs
comp engneering rear shocks (they were set to 30/70 which i thought was 30% compression %70 rebound but i may of been wrong so i put it to the 50/50% setting,going to test that this weekend)
325/50r16 mt radials

ANy suggestions would help. I do think the drag bar would help but i just havent gotten the money at the secodn to get it.
heres some videos
This is a crappy angle but look at the guard rail when i launch your see it jump up
http://youtu.be/OmZfPP80uSA

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...VID00025-1.mp4
Old 09-21-2011, 05:14 PM
12 Second Club

are you thinking it lifts because of this video or do you gave an outside video of it doing it? i dont think your rear is lifting by looking at this vid, i think its the front of your car lifting causing the angle to change. here is a vid of my car launching, i know were not even in the same ball park power wise but i think your is not even squatting like mine, the rear looks stiff and the car is twisting off the line, if you get what i mean.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2Hh0Mrx554
btw mine is in the left lane
Old 09-21-2011, 05:30 PM
TECH Regular

I know it does look stiff! I may try my stock shocks on the rear soon too if I'm still having problems. But my last drag car (94 cammed bolt on lt1,t56,4.11rear) would feel like it would bottom out the rear suspension on a launch which was completely stock. I want that feeling back.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:37 PM
12 Second Club

im runnin stock springs and some shitty monroe sensatraks. i hate the way it rides on the street but it squats good and hooks good at the track. i cut 1.7 60ft on a 245/50r16 toyo proxy 4 street tire.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:00 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You don't want the shocks in the rear to be real loose. Keep the shocks in the rear pretty stiff and it will help keep pressure on the tire which will help with traction and get the car down the track. It is a huge misconception that you need the rear end to squat a bunch to get the car to hook. Also I would not worry about the front being so low, but I would look into some decent drag shocks like Strange or QA1 single adjustables. You can setup a car to sit low and still transfer weight well you just need some supporting mods to help.

Make those few adjustments we talked about and get back to the track and see if they help. Call me here at the shop and let me know how the car did and we can see if we need to make anymore adjustments.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 09-22-2011, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i can tell it picks up in the rear from the video. It does it for a split second. you gotta look real good.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by stroked383HSR
i can tell it picks up in the rear from the video. It does it for a split second. you gotta look real good.
I think that was just tire expansion honestly.. Looks more like the front tries to lift transfers weight rear too stiff "just a tad" rear walks a little and tucks back.

But hey it could just be me

Quick Reply: Rear of my car picks up when i launch?