Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS7 Clutch Swap, eh?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 01:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS7 Clutch Swap, eh?

For you guys that have swapped from your stocker to the ls7 clutch, tell me a little about it, still working good?

Was thinking about getting a spec stage 1, but i'm thinking the LS7 clutch might be a better route. What do you think? All i have done is just a lid, 3.73s and a cut out, and nothing coming soon except a tune and maybe 4.30 gears. MAYBE headers and a small cam way down the road lol
Old 09-22-2011, 02:10 AM
TECH Addict

a few sponsors on here recommend against using the ls7 clutch in our cars, it's designed to work with a different slave and lots of people end up with disengagement issues whether they realize it or not which leads to increased synchro wear

on the other hand tons of people claim they have no issues at all, so do a little more research and see who you believe

and on a side note I have a diamond stage 2 which would probably fit your needs (actually stage 1 would be plenty) and budget, I'm very happy with it
Old 09-22-2011, 02:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
a few sponsors on here recommend against using the ls7 clutch in our cars, it's designed to work with a different slave and lots of people end up with disengagement issues whether they realize it or not which leads to increased synchro wear

on the other hand tons of people claim they have no issues at all, so do a little more research and see who you believe

and on a side note I have a diamond stage 2 which would probably fit your needs (actually stage 1 would be plenty) and budget, I'm very happy with it
Thanks for the reply! I was talking to a buddy/mechanic of mine earlier today about needing a new clutch, but after reading up decided to not go back with the stocker. He is the one who will be putting in the new clutch, and is also the one who brought up the LS7. From what he said, it would be easier on him to put it in (as he is going to install it for cheap), plus itll hold plenty of HP compared to what i have done with a little play room. But im still keeping my options open, itll be a month or two before ill be financially ready to purchase a new clutch.

I'll look into the diamond. How many miles do you have on it so far?
Old 09-22-2011, 07:27 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was never sold on a LS7 just simply due to the fact that the "rating" was based on a much lighter car and to me the weight of the car can absolutely an effect on stressing the clutch, as well as not having as good as 1st gear compared to Z06's which can again effect how the cluth is operated.

Some people use it and are fine and love it but IMO its a crap shoot. I am not a huge SPEC fan either but that level of clutch you should be fine. Look at Monster as well as they seem to have a good rep around here.

I use a Textralia OZ-700 which is a KILLER setup but not cheap and not something you "need" but def love it.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Monster clutches are great
Old 09-22-2011, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by therealcreeper

+1, I've been reading/hearing this alot lately.

I've been torn over getting an LS7/LS6/Spec/Monster for the last couple of weeks. Read enough horror stories about the LS7 not performing well at the strip, not sure the LS6 would hold up to my future plans, and basically decided to pick between a Spec/Monster. That's what I'd suggest.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have had a ls7 clutch in my 99 trans am for about 30k miles now. My car has made 385rwhp and 377rwtq for the past 6k miles and it has never once slipped on me and it drives just like stock! I recommend the clutch I love mine
Old 09-22-2011, 09:46 AM
TECH Resident

My ls7 drove like stock, but would slip after about 5k rpms. My car is full weight and makes about 420rwhp. I only recommend it for people that are stock and don't plan on doing any mods other than bolt ons.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:04 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Keep in mind that the LS7 clutch was designed around a C6 Z06 hydraulic system, so often retro-fitting them into LS1 F-Bodies results in disengagement issues since the stock master cylinder is such a joke. If you're going to do an LS7, step up to our Adjustable Master Cylinder Kit as well.

I suggest Monster Level 1 clutches over LS7 Clutches for a myriad of reasons. Read about it here: http://www.tickperformance.com/produ...3A-450%29.html
Old 09-22-2011, 12:17 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the replies, though this has made my decision a crap ton harder to make lol.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:06 PM
FormerVendor

Our Level 1 will get you taken care of now and should you decide to do a cam/headers down the road. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me. Chris, 817-750-2000

Quick Reply: LS7 Clutch Swap, eh?