General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

DD Weight Reduction..

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 02:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default DD Weight Reduction..

So I've read through the weight reduction sticky on the Drag Racing section and didn't know where to put this so that's why this is here. Car is a 98 firebird formula in my sig with pictures in my garage. Has a bunch of mods but last time I weighed it it was a PIG at 3820. Since then I have gone from the stock exhaust to pacesetters and duals but not a whole lot else weight wise has changed. It is my daily and I love my stereo/air con. but dont care about much else. What can I take out and change in it to shed some weight off the pig?
Old 09-22-2011, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

Alot of guys take out the spare tire but honestly I would keep it. It only weighs around 50 lbs and IMO its not worth getting stranded without it over 50 lbs. Other things people take off is bumper supports or random trim pieces but honestly if the car is a DD I would just leave it alone because I would hate to drive a car with random trim pieces missing or without carpet when its not even going to add up to that much weight taken out.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Another thought would be the wheels possibly? Judging by your sig pic, it looks like you have TTII's with maybe 315's out back? I'm sure that setup isn't the lightest and if weight is that much of an issue to you, sizing down to maybe some non-chrome C5 Z06's or OEM 97-00 WS6 wheels might be a good start.

Other stuff could be removing all the sound deadening under the carpets and everything, power steering, A/C, heater, center console, rear seats, ABS, stereo etc., etc. However, I don't know how that would workout if you daily drive your car. It can be done though if you're that hardcore.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dang man, 3,800+?! Mine was around 3,600lbs when I got it smogged...how is yours so much heavier than mine? (Oh, I do have light weight racing windows )

Since then I've removed the spare tire and the crappy jack. I figure I'm always local, plus I have towing on my auto insurance, and if I go on a road trip I might just pop it back in.

But after that, I have no interested in deleting AC, heat, powersteering, but maybe ABS.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry guys, I was in a rush to post this and didn't give all the info. I have taken the spare and jack out of the car

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
Another thought would be the wheels possibly? Judging by your sig pic, it looks like you have TTII's with maybe 315's out back? I'm sure that setup isn't the lightest and if weight is that much of an issue to you, sizing down to maybe some non-chrome C5 Z06's or OEM 97-00 WS6 wheels might be a good start.

Other stuff could be removing all the sound deadening under the carpets and everything, power steering, A/C, heater, center console, rear seats, ABS, stereo etc., etc. However, I don't know how that would workout if you daily drive your car. It can be done though if you're that hardcore.
That's what I'm thinking is that the wheels have added quite a bit but are there any other wheels that are significantly lighter and not significantly more expensive that run in 9.5 and 11 inch width? Don't really wanna drop down on that. The A/C, heater, and stereo are sticking around. Is there any way to delete power steering without getting a new $600 rack? And how much does all the sound deadening weigh?

Originally Posted by V68Sweep
Dang man, 3,800+?! Mine was around 3,600lbs when I got it smogged...how is yours so much heavier than mine? (Oh, I do have light weight racing windows )

Since then I've removed the spare tire and the crappy jack. I figure I'm always local, plus I have towing on my auto insurance, and if I go on a road trip I might just pop it back in.

But after that, I have no interested in deleting AC, heat, powersteering, but maybe ABS.
Haha I know right? Chubby piggy over here..lol..yeah exactly and my car has such wide wheels and is so low I wouldn't put the spare on anyway haha. I'd get rid of the power steering before ABS..freeway traffic can be pretty random and I've dealt with manual steering before, not too bad.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wrote this in another thread, maybe it will help

since ur talking about DD stuff this is whats been done to my car minus the dumps

before axle dumps shed about 50 pounds by removing the axle-back stuff,
cat removal nets about 15 lbs
egr/air removal nets about 10 lbs
removing floormats net about 5-8 lbs
removing glove box nets about 2.5 lbs
removing owners manual nets about 1-2 lbs
rear seat removal nets about 20 lbs
spare tire and jack nets about 35 lbs
removal of both sunvisors nets about 2 lbs
washer pump/resevoir/fluid nets about 12lbs
ashtray/cubbyhole pad/and lighter 1.5 lbs
Old 09-23-2011, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

also those wheels, although look badass, are one of the heaviest wheels out there, non chrome zr1's or z06 wheels will weight considerably less, the least heavy are the saladshooter & snowflake wheels, but obviously will look like electrified green dog diarrhea. Also consider firehawk wheels
Old 09-23-2011, 08:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LeanPocket
i wrote this in another thread, maybe it will help

since ur talking about DD stuff this is whats been done to my car minus the dumps

removing owners manual nets about 1-2 lbs
rear seat removal nets about 20 lbs

also those wheels, although look badass, are one of the heaviest wheels out there, non chrome zr1's or z06 wheels will weight considerably less, the least heavy are the saladshooter & snowflake wheels, but obviously will look like electrified green dog diarrhea. Also consider firehawk wheels
Thanks man. According to that I've already shed 110 with the cat less dumps, AIR/EGR, and tire/jack. I'll have to take the washer reservoir/pump/fluid out next since I don't use it.

Anyone know the difference in weight of the GM zr1 and GM z06 wheels to the replica ones? I wanna keep the 11 inch rear and 9.5 inch front..
Old 09-23-2011, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LeanPocket
removing owners manual nets about 1-2 lbsrear seat removal nets about 20 lbs

The ownders manual?? 1-2 lbs?? Is yours made out of metal?

Lol, not trying to hack on your list, I actually really like the list, but this just made me laugh.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:12 PM
TECH Regular

Lol, not trying to hack on your list, I actually really like the list, but this just made me laugh.
The owners manuel is approx 1.30 lbs
Old 09-23-2011, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...tion-list.html

I used this list as a ballpark guideline, If im not mistaken its a sticky

Originally Posted by 01 CamaroSS SLP
yes, this would be accurate

Originally Posted by 1Psycho
Thanks man. According to that I've already shed 110 with the cat less dumps, AIR/EGR, and tire/jack. I'll have to take the washer reservoir/pump/fluid out next since I don't use it.

Anyone know the difference in weight of the GM zr1 and GM z06 wheels to the replica ones? I wanna keep the 11 inch rear and 9.5 inch front..
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...l-weights.html
Old 09-23-2011, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

btw op, ur formula is VERY heavy at over 3800lbs, my guess would be the wheels? stereo stuff?
Old 09-23-2011, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01 CamaroSS SLP
Oh, I failed at my attempt to zing

I feel that if you are so desperate to subtract 1.3 lbs from your car, then why not skip a meal, keep your head shaved, and take a pee before you drive your car?

Then again, if you're dragging the car, then every bit helps. Plus you're probably far enough along with your technical abilities that you don't need the manual haha
Old 09-23-2011, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh, I failed at my attempt to zing

I feel that if you are so desperate to subtract 1.3 lbs from your car, then why not skip a meal, keep your head shaved, and take a pee before you drive your car?

Then again, if you're dragging the car, then every bit helps. Plus you're probably far enough along with your technical abilities that you don't need the manual haha
yeah in the end it doesn't really matter if it was just the manual,
however once you start adding up, and adding up.. and adding up .. soon 1 lbs, turns into 100lbs. So it all adds up in the end

in all practicality, all that stuff I listed above is the most DD worthy weight reduction without sacrificing luxuries such as A/C, stereo, air bags, power steering, carpet, trim panels, ect

btw OP you might want to look into lexan glass, i think the entire piece weight like 15 lbs or something silly like that and you can't even tell it isnt glass

or removing your fog lights, i seen some people re-route those to vent the brakes
Old 09-23-2011, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

OP if ur willing to spend some money,

some lighter weight parts include a highflow lid (if u haven't done so already), i think the mti clear lid was the lightest?
chromoly suspension parts
underdrive pulley and belt
lowering springs, although i think urs is already lowered
dry cell battery
carbon fiber driveshaft
electric water pump
light weight racing seats
Old 09-23-2011, 05:09 PM
TECH Regular

If there's one thing i would like to do to my interior is to get some racing seats, i think that would look nice, bring weight down and better comfort. Good idea leanpocket.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

I'll give you guys something to shoot for on a dd with all ammenities. I'm at 3050lbs (with drag type wheels) my 18's only weight about 20lbs more. The only thing taht is a little iffy I've done is remove the airbags. Both will total @ 25-30 lbs. Still has all sounddeadening except for about 10lbs. Still has all interior, ac, cruise, abs, pb, ps, stereo, windsheild washer and even bumper supports.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
I'll give you guys something to shoot for on a dd with all ammenities. I'm at 3050lbs (with drag type wheels) my 18's only weight about 20lbs more. The only thing taht is a little iffy I've done is remove the airbags. Both will total @ 25-30 lbs. Still has all sounddeadening except for about 10lbs. Still has all interior, ac, cruise, abs, pb, ps, stereo, windsheild washer and even bumper supports.
Damn, that's light! Personally I'd leave the airbags in. What did you remove or replace to get that low???
Old 09-23-2011, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

do you have a list of what you removed? done a lot of grinding?
Old 09-23-2011, 06:55 PM
Launching!

DAMn, so where did the huge loss of weight come from!?

Quick Reply: DD Weight Reduction..