Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e crossmember please

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 03:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e crossmember please

I've done the search multiple times looking for a crossmember to work in my 68 firebird. I can't find anything definitive. I've read my buddy mocked up a th400 crossmember a and it was close or you should be able to use a t56 with a one inch spacer. There have been a lot of "close" " I can't remember" and "should". Short of taking the car (impossible) to a shop to have one made, does anyone know what does work? The 700r4 member from CPP that is manufactured by bowtie overdrives is too short unless I use different mounts and it is offcenter - apparently on purpose but way to far for my taste. I can't find a manufacturer that makes one just for the 4l60e and after using this one I can't see how they can make one for a 700r4 and 4l60e. i know they are supposedly the same case but the mount location tells me otherwise. Maybe the 4l60 was but the 60e isn't. My mounts put the bellhousing in the "stock" location. I could really use some help here as this has held me up for weeks as I only get so much time. If a th400 member does work and you know it does work, let me know. If a t56 member or other stick member works but needs a spacer between the crossmember and tranny mount then let me know and give me the details. I and every other guy looking for this info now and in the future will appreciate it.
thanks
Scott
Old 09-22-2011, 04:24 PM
11 Second Club

http://www.brphotrods.com/mm5/mercha...gory_Code=CNV1

they make one
Old 09-22-2011, 06:17 PM
Staging Lane

Yes they do and thanks for the reply but from what I understand its pretty cheap and flimsy. Its a last resort right now.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I ordered one from Street and Performance. It is pretty heavy duty, but the only thing I don't like about it is it bolt to the bottom of the subframe versus sitting on top. THe bracket ends are long and have slotted holes so you can adjust it quite a bit (several inches).
Old 09-22-2011, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks. How does it bolt to the bottom of the frame? I could see a bracket going from the top and over the side with slots in that to be bolted to what I see there. I can see the main part of the crossmember in the catalog but not the rest.
Anybody used the th400 crossmember?