Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Hydraboost Brake Setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hydraboost Brake Setup

I'm interested in the idea of doing a hydroboost setup on my 96. Doing a search on this board didn't yield me much info. In other words, I haven't seen too many who have gone this route.

I'm looking into it because right now, my huge booster is out of the car as work is being done right now under-hood. I had the ABS removed, bought an SJM kit and decided that it would be nice to decide on the brake booster while I'm in there.

I think they provide for a much cleaner look, less cluttered bay, and from what I've been told, add to much greater stopping power. I already have Baer brakes up front.

I would like to know if anybody has installed a used kit from the late model chevy trucks, or astrovans (I see a lot of these on Ebay). It would be great to have a cheaper alternative to something like this:http://www.hydratechbraking.com/tech.html
Old 09-22-2011, 04:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too would like to know if anyones done this, or if its even possible in our cars. Bump
Old 09-24-2011, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

I know on a third gen f-body you can use a unit from an astro van. I don't know if it will work on a fourth gen.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:34 AM
Coal Mining Director

I've been running the Hydratech unit for 2 years. Much better stopping power at +170 now. Holds the car well at the line while building boost.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool, some feedback.

I'm almost certain the 3rd and 4th gen have different sized units, but I'll double check. Good info.

onfire, you have any pics of your setup? Was there any modifications done aside from swapping the stock booster and the hydratech? IIRC, it runs roughly $700ish right? It seems that the hydratech would cut out any second-guessing.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:02 PM
Coal Mining Director

Originally Posted by Evaporate
Cool, some feedback.

I'm almost certain the 3rd and 4th gen have different sized units, but I'll double check. Good info.

onfire, you have any pics of your setup? Was there any modifications done aside from swapping the stock booster and the hydratech? IIRC, it runs roughly $700ish right? It seems that the hydratech would cut out any second-guessing.
I'll take a pic tonight and post it. The good thing is the extra room everywhere with the HB vs the factory set-up...and more room is nice with a turbo car.

It was a bolt on. Had to bleed the unit per the instructions to get it to work properly. I would buy it from a vendor that knows brakes since HB themselves will not talk to you.

After installing it, I looked at my 2007HD truck....exact same unit in the truck from GM.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:47 PM
Coal Mining Director

Install pic.
Attached Thumbnails Hydraboost Brake Setup-photo-large-.jpg  
Old 09-26-2011, 02:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onfire
Install pic.
That is Really clean...
Old 09-26-2011, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for coming through with the pic onfire.

That is clean. Interesting to hear that your gm truck has the same booster.

Quick Reply: Hydraboost Brake Setup