Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water pump exploded

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 06:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pump exploded

Had the strangest thing happen to me yesterday. I was driving, actually decelerating towards a red light when I heard (and felt) a loud thump from under the hood. Immediately I got an SES light, power steering froze up and the car shut off. Pushed it to the side of the road and popped the hood only to find that the serpentine belt had indeed snapped. Today I put on a new serpentine and heard an awful metal on metal grinding noise and came to find that the water pump pulley had seized and that snapped the serpentine. Now I'm off in a search for a new water pump, preferably not electric because I know those are very expensive. Does anybody know of a belt driven water pump that doesn't cost too much over the price of an OEM pump that could possibly push a little more coolant through or was more efficent than the OEM one? Prices and links would be appreciated. Thanks.

Travis
Old 03-08-2004, 03:57 AM
TECH Resident

There has been one released lately that claims almost exactly what you want. It was supposed to push more water and have an improved design for efficiency.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ght=water+pump
Old 03-08-2004, 11:34 AM
On The Tree

Default water pump

hey i got a brand new gm water pump for sale retail is like 300 buckz i think ill let it go for 175 shipped pm me and let me know
Old 03-08-2004, 12:04 PM
FormerVendor

Shoot me an e-mail I may have something for you.

Nate
Old 03-08-2004, 01:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

would just a frozen water pump make your car stop dead in its tracks? This is hard to believe since people have run with no belt all the time.

Quick Reply: Water pump exploded