Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much power am I losing??

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 07:00 PM
STF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How much power am I losing??

I installed a set of Pacesetters and an ORY. Where my header and my y-pipe meet on the drivers side my exhaust leaks. Is that killing my power or is the loss minimal?
Old 03-08-2004, 04:06 AM
TECH Resident

Why would you think that it is killing your power? Are you getting any codes? People run open headers and they actually gain power, so unless you have and efficient y-pipe that only uses scavenging from both banks to flow good, I think an exhaust leak would do little to hinder performance.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:37 PM
Staging Lane

I had that same problem with my Pacesetters and my X-Pipe. Then common consensus is to got to Lowe's or something and get some "HVAC foil tape", comes in a big roll. It was in our stores paint section, where all the tape is. This worked great, just wrap over the meeting point and you got it. it will smoke and stink for about a day, then nothing. Works well.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:07 AM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by Carrotop79
I had that same problem with my Pacesetters and my X-Pipe. Then common consensus is to got to Lowe's or something and get some "HVAC foil tape", comes in a big roll. It was in our stores paint section, where all the tape is. This worked great, just wrap over the meeting point and you got it. it will smoke and stink for about a day, then nothing. Works well.
I bought the HVAC tape. Do I unhook the y-pipe and put it on the collector or wrap it around the y-pipe and the collector at the same time?
Old 03-11-2004, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

I wrapped mine around the whole thing then clamped it back. 2 coats at least IMO. Then when you are finished start it up and immediately check that connection point with your hand before it gets to hot! Should work!