Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 freshen up?

Old 09-22-2011, 08:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 freshen up?

Hi Guys,

I am about to do a LS1 (1999) swap into a 92 rs convertible. I have the complete donor car. It runs great (no smoke, no noise, good power) but has high miles 180,000. Do you guys think I should do anything to it while its on the stand? I'm kinda on a budget and not sure if I should even touch it. I've built some sbc engines in the past so I have experience when it comes to engine building but not anything LS1 specific. Maybe just some things to watch out for and maybe a few things to look at that might problem areas with an LS1 with this many miles.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:26 PM
TECH Regular

what are your plans for it? now is the time to put a cam in it if you want. you can also pull the pan and check out the bearings, maybe change the oil pump and timing chain. i would change the oil pump pick up tube oring. the few craigslist engines i have boughten had some serious sludge goin on in the pan.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:34 PM
Teching In

I'd like to get the car up and running well stock. Eventually some LS6 stuff, maybe when it comes back apart for paint. For now just stock.

Just pop a rod cap off and look at the bearing? Also what is a good source for LS1 parts. Like brgs, oil pump and some of the other things you mentioned.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:41 PM
TECH Regular

i buy all my stuff from texas-speed. doesnt say where you're located, but that will make a difference where you'll want to get stuff from as far as shipping. but yeah, just take a rod and main cap off and inspect everything. that o-ring that i mentioned is really cheap and can cause major problems. also when you get the pan off look at the gasket, and see if you need to change any others. good luck.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:47 AM
Teching In

What about intake gaskets or head gaskets? Is there ever any trouble with piston rings at this mileage? Anybody else have any ideas that may help me?

Thanks

Search this Thread