Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

How bad really is power shifting? T56

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How bad really is power shifting? T56

Sums it up guys, How bad is it really? Also when should you change clutch fluid?
Old 09-22-2011, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

I did it my ta and no problem, I change the fluid every two weeks in it...
Old 09-22-2011, 09:56 PM
Staging Lane

Depends on the driver. Is it good for the transmission? No, but if done right it won't make a huge difference over the life of the transmission.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO, the biggest thing is having a clutch that fully disengages. Anything that has a history of a spongy pedal or occasional sicking is a disaster in the making.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Third gear is going to be your issue.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:26 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Power-shifting with a properly functioning clutch & hydraulic system is abuse, no question, but power-shifting with a clutch that isn't fully disengaging could be disastrous. Once you've got a quality master cylinder and a clutch/slave that is up to the task, power-shifting is the only way to go. You simply leave too much speed on the table by not doing it. Check out a few videos of our customers power-shifting using our Adjustable Master Cylinder Kit here: http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...or-ls1-f-body/
Old 09-23-2011, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kingd_202
I did it my ta and no problem, I change the fluid every two weeks in it...
You change the fluid every two weeks??!!! Is that normal? damn how do you get it out?
Originally Posted by Joey@Tick
Power-shifting with a properly functioning clutch & hydraulic system is abuse, no question, but power-shifting with a clutch that isn't fully disengaging could be disastrous. Once you've got a quality master cylinder and a clutch/slave that is up to the task, power-shifting is the only way to go. You simply leave too much speed on the table by not doing it. Check out a few videos of our customers power-shifting using our Adjustable Master Cylinder Kit here: http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...or-ls1-f-body/
Sounds good, I started a little but stopped because I don't wanna deal with problems down the road. Also how bad is downshifting to third on the highway at 80mph with stock 3.42 gears. I used to do it quite a bit but stopped as well
Old 09-24-2011, 09:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke
You change the fluid every two weeks??!!! Is that normal? damn how do you get it out?
Just open the bleeder on the clutch slave(need a 7/16 socket & ratchet for the bleeder), let all the fluid drain out of the reservoir. Then you can wipe out the reservoir with a rag as theres usually some black stuff in there. Then continue to add brake fluid to the clutch reservoir until a small 12 oz bottle of brake fluid is empty. That should get most of the old fluid out of the system. I recommend using dot 4 fluid as it has a higher boiling point. Changing it every 2 weeks is too often. Even once a year is too often but if you track the car a lot it isnt a bad idea. If your clutch fluid keeps turning black your master cyl is on its way out.
Sounds good, I started a little but stopped because I don't wanna deal with problems down the road. Also how bad is downshifting to third on the highway at 80mph with stock 3.42 gears. I used to do it quite a bit but stopped as well
I would be more concerned about changing the trans fluid if I was powershifting the car a lot.

Originally Posted by DAVESS02
IMO, the biggest thing is having a clutch that fully disengages. Anything that has a history of a spongy pedal or occasional sicking is a disaster in the making.
Very true. Thats why I highly recommend getting a Tick master if you plan on powershifting.

Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan
Third gear is going to be your issue.
If everything else is in good shape(clutch & hydraulics) the shifter is the biggest factor IMO. Missing 3rd is the most notoriously missed gear but my 5.0 shifter hits it pretty good. I heard the MGW does too.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
Just open the bleeder on the clutch slave(need a 7/16 socket & ratchet for the bleeder), let all the fluid drain out of the reservoir. Then you can wipe out the reservoir with a rag as theres usually some black stuff in there. Then continue to add brake fluid to the clutch reservoir until a small 12 oz bottle of brake fluid is empty. That should get most of the old fluid out of the system. I recommend using dot 4 fluid as it has a higher boiling point. Changing it every 2 weeks is too often. Even once a year is too often but if you track the car a lot it isnt a bad idea. If your clutch fluid keeps turning black your master cyl is on its way out.
Im sorry for the bother but where can I find the clutch slave at? I really appreciate it man.

Also thats good to know because I have changed the trans with mobil 1 synthetic about 15k ago
Old 09-26-2011, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke
Im sorry for the bother but where can I find the clutch slave at? I really appreciate it man.

Also thats good to know because I have changed the trans with mobil 1 synthetic about 15k ago
The clutch slave is inside the trans bellhousing. The bleeder screw is just above the clutch line recessed in a small opening in the trans.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:16 PM
Staging Lane

The slave is located at the 10 o'clock position on the bellhousing, if you were looking directly at your flywheel from under the car.

There is a 1" x 1" window where the bleeder screw is recessed about 1/4" into the bellhousing. make sure you dont drop the socket into the bellhousing, before I purchased the tick master and speedbleeder, I taped the socket on the extension very well before bleeding.

If you ever need to change the slave, buy TICKS speedbleeder. It makes changing the clutch fluid a 5 min, one man job.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:43 AM
10 Second Club

^^Do what this guy said. Do it now why you can and able too!!!
Old 09-27-2011, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
The clutch slave is inside the trans bellhousing. The bleeder screw is just above the clutch line recessed in a small opening in the trans.
Originally Posted by NHRATRANSAM64
The slave is located at the 10 o'clock position on the bellhousing, if you were looking directly at your flywheel from under the car.

There is a 1" x 1" window where the bleeder screw is recessed about 1/4" into the bellhousing. make sure you dont drop the socket into the bellhousing, before I purchased the tick master and speedbleeder, I taped the socket on the extension very well before bleeding.

If you ever need to change the slave, buy TICKS speedbleeder. It makes changing the clutch fluid a 5 min, one man job.
Originally Posted by blu byu EH
^^Do what this guy said. Do it now why you can and able too!!!
Thanks a bunch guys, also how often should I change the clutch fluid and what are the outcomes of not doing it? The car has 73k on it. I bought it with 50k and never did it
Old 09-27-2011, 09:48 PM
10 Second Club

I change it when it's black or getting black.

Quick Reply: How bad really is power shifting? T56