GOOD Houston area manual tranny rebuilders?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GOOD Houston area manual tranny rebuilders?

Anyone know of any good local stick tranny builders around the Houston area? I just frag'd my 02 Z06 tranny, its hung up in 4th so I assume all the 3/4 stuff is shot (with only 25k miles mind you)..... I may just ship it off to Tick Perf. but I would prefer someone local....and not someone that is going to gouge my eyes out....

Thanks in advance....
Old 09-23-2011, 04:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If/when you find someone, let me know as I've been curious as to if one existed in the area as well.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:56 PM
TECH Addict

Macks manual trans off Cullen is who I used.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default 6speed rebuild

Steve@England Green built mine, still going strong after two years, he used to work at MTI
Old 09-23-2011, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I vote LMR's Scott Garmon

G G G G G G Garmon!

edit: g g g g g g garmon doesnt work at LMR

Last edited by jdoyle; 09-23-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:58 PM
Teching In

Evans transmision in conroe, he does awsome work and very affordable, and he stands by his work. 936 788 5779
Old 09-24-2011, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys! I will check into some of these.... England Green is close to me I may hit them up.... I also might just have them pull it/install as well if they are reasonably priced. I am not real confident in pulling/installing all that suspension stuff... But on the other hand I can't afford to dump $3k in this thing either so....
Old 09-24-2011, 11:34 PM
On The Tree

Terry wallace at VettTech in katy. He worked for corvettes of houston for 30 years. 281-391-8388
Old 09-25-2011, 09:53 AM
Banned

<------- is in San Antonio if you are down for a little weekend trip. I am available on weekend by appointment if needed.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Would all of the places suggested be good for my 01 SS rebuild as well? I've known for a while that my clutch was on it's way out, but it started really having problems going into work today, almost has nothing left, and I even killed it once at a light.

I'm interested in a stock rebuild, but with other possible LSX parts. I have heard/seen of several combos of LS6/LS7/LSX parts, but would be looking for the installer to help guide me in the correct direction for my replacement parts. Not sure that I want to go the Spec route, as for the time being, it's my daily driver. I've heard lots about England Green, but always referring to Corvettes. I'm on the NW side of town, around 249 and Louetta, so something up this way would be best.

I don't mean to thread hijack, OP, but this thread saved the board from having another tranny thread for the Houston area.

I appreciate any and all help, as I need to start making some calls today or tomorrow.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HoustonSS
Would all of the places suggested be good for my 01 SS rebuild as well? I've known for a while that my clutch was on it's way out, but it started really having problems going into work today, almost has nothing left, and I even killed it once at a light.

I'm interested in a stock rebuild, but with other possible LSX parts. I have heard/seen of several combos of LS6/LS7/LSX parts, but would be looking for the installer to help guide me in the correct direction for my replacement parts. Not sure that I want to go the Spec route, as for the time being, it's my daily driver. I've heard lots about England Green, but always referring to Corvettes. I'm on the NW side of town, around 249 and Louetta, so something up this way would be best.

I don't mean to thread hijack, OP, but this thread saved the board from having another tranny thread for the Houston area.

I appreciate any and all help, as I need to start making some calls today or tomorrow.
I am guessing your car isn't going to be making a lot of power. I would go to any one of these guys and tell them that you want a LS7 clutch installed in your camaro. Its going to cost a little due to needing a new flywheel but you will still have that stock feel to the car and it can handle a bit more power. Like I said I am sure any one of the shops listed above can handle the install without a hitch.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Circle D. Those are the dudes, hands down.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:04 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HoustonSS

Do you drive on Huffmeister often? I think I have seen your car. I have a Onyx Black 01 Z/28 and an 03 Torch Red Z06
Old 09-26-2011, 05:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My car is just a bolt-on car, with headers and exhaust. I don't have have plans for it making huge horsepower numbers, so I believe a LS7 replacement clutch should have plenty of holding power for me. It did 347/358 when i had the headers installed, so no biggie there.

As for it being on Huffmeister Snake, I only started daily driving it again when the A/C when out on my Caprice, so I tend to doubt it was me. However, would love to see the stable sometime if I'm in that area.

Time to start making some calls.

Thanks all, I greatly appreciate the help.

Justin
Old 09-27-2011, 01:26 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you guys need a T-56 built still, I can help you. I'm not in Houston, but am in D/FW and have been building these and other tranny for many, many years at a high performance level.

Give me a call even if you are seeking advice, I don't mind helping out one bit.

g
Old 09-28-2011, 05:34 PM
Teching In

McAfee standard transmission right here in Houston. They have been in business since 1965!!!! See Danny
Old 09-29-2011, 07:47 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NVUSZ28
Circle D. Those are the dudes, hands down.
Those guys build/ rebuild T-56s?
Old 09-30-2011, 06:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bad Blu Formula
Those guys build/ rebuild T-56s?
No sir!
Old 09-30-2011, 09:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
. . . I am not real confident in pulling/installing all that suspension stuff...
I beg to differ . . . I've seen how you had the green Vette all blown appart a few times . . . can't be that hard