General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Anyone else frequently change their exhaust setup?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 04:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone else frequently change their exhaust setup?

I know I do. So far been through Flowmaster, Magnaflow and TSP Rumber catbacks with a few Header/Y pipe combos in there over about 3 years. I've been thinking of ditching my TSP for something else. Told some people that and how many I've been through and they just didn't get it. I like to keep it fresh and try new setups, plus they hold their value pretty well so it's not that pricy.
Anyone else change frequently, or am I just still searching for that special setup?
Old 09-24-2011, 03:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm with ya! I don't change a whole lot or out of boredom, just looking for the perfect setup.

I went from stock with a flowmaster to LT'S, ORY, LM1. That was crazy loud so I added moroso spiral flows at the tail pipe. Then I replaced the crappy ORY with a SLP cat pipe with a good merge and it sounded great, many compliments etc.

The cats eventually blew out and my high mileage exhaust smelled bad so since I needed to replace the cats and I also wanted louder I went with true duals over the axle, cats, 3 in 2.5 out X, glasspacks. I love it now and I think i'm finally done!

Last edited by mikedamageinc; 09-24-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:28 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

I used to do this many years ago, until I'd finally heard/tried most setups and figured out what I liked best. These days, I never change it, because I know what I like now.

I'm not the sort of person that likes change just for the sake of change, so I don't change anything unless I specifically don't like it or have encountered something that I like better.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know A LOT of Mustang owners that do this, seems like they change their exhaust every month ...all of that money spent could have went towards useful mods.

Your money though, you make it so spend it however you want!
Old 09-24-2011, 02:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Its your car, if you want it to sound certain way then you have to find the perfect setup.

I know i'm chasing the deep rumble with a choppy cam or a totally opposite screaming super car sound.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Switch to a nice setup and you will stick with it.

Get away from crap ypipe setups. At minimum switch to a quality merge... If not that, go true dual.
Should be happy with either. Rasp will be virtually non existent and much smoother sound quality.

For me, one chambers are it. Nice and deep at idle, scream more like NASCAR at wot... It's a modern muscle sound to me.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

In 6.5 years I've had 3 setups. Stock, if you count that, for 1 year. GMMG for 3.5 years and duals dumped with Spiral Flows for 2 years now. Looking to switch SFs to 1 chambers in the future, then I'm done. Bought my Kooks headers nearly 5 years and have had no need to switch those.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:37 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
Get away from crap ypipe setups. At minimum switch to a quality merge... If not that, go true dual.

Just about anything sounds good with true duals. I've had a few different dual setups on my Nova, and they all sounded nice. Of course, running duals on a car like that is easy since they were designed for it.

On the F-bodies, it took me several tries to figure out how to get a ORY setup to sound really nice under all conditions. You are correct about the Y-merge, it does seem to effect sound quality. I had a really nice one from Bassani, and then matched it up with a Bassani catback that I believe has been discontinued for a while now. That setup, with headers and no cats was shockingly rasp free but still screamed at WOT, and sounded incredibly deep at idle. It was the best sounding system I've ever heard on an LS1 that still used a Y-pipe.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:21 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

There was a thread like this in the External Engine forum a few years ago. I think at that time I posted up about six different setups that I've had. I won't even try to remember them all now.
My basic story is that I was happy with my GMMG till I went to LT's, then tried a bunch variations with ORY, cats, powerstick, resonator tips, Hooker Aerochamber, etc. Finally got rid of all that stuff and settled on a Hooker Max Flow with ORY. It's been great except for a buzz at idle with A/C on.

Thinking about a 3.5 Mufflex/Magnaflow setup, though ...
Old 09-27-2011, 10:50 AM
11 Second Club

1.) stock
2.) long tubes, catted y pipe, Loud Mouth (too loud)
3.) long tubes, catted y pipe, stock catback (too quiet)
4.) long tubes, ORY with a good merge, SLP Dual Dual with a cutout (current setup)

Old 09-27-2011, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I run the Hooker catback with a DMH 3" electric cutout. I bought the Dynotech Supermaxx SS headers and catted Y when they first came out about 8 years ago. It was a $1500 set and the Y actually does have a good merge. It gets anywhere from super quiet to louder than hell in about 3 seconds. If I changed I would buy the 17/8" headers ane run duels. But for right now its still kinda fun watching the guys face when you hit the button.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula_LS1
1.) stock
2.) long tubes, catted y pipe, Loud Mouth (too loud)
3.) long tubes, catted y pipe, stock catback (too quiet)
4.) long tubes, ORY with a good merge, SLP Dual Dual with a cutout (current setup)

Which was louder 2 or 4?
Old 10-08-2011, 08:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

I am guilty of this, haha. Since march I've been through at least 3 or 4 different setups... and today I'm putting on a hooker catback. Started with stock when I got the car, then cut the muffler off. It was like that for a while till I had to do a clutch and broke the rusted cat->y pipe bolts, then it was manifolds and cats only, haha. Then I did headers and ORY with a turn down off the y, sounded cool for about a month then I was sick of it. Got a magnaflow catback and liked the sound, but I could never make it look right... so I welded in a spiral flow in the I pipe and dumped it with the over-axle pipe. Tired of that so here goes a hooker catback today, lol I got it for almost free trading some other parts. Hoping this will end my spree for a while...