Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Bleeding the clutch fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 02:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bleeding the clutch fluid?

Is there a write up or walk through on this. Ive never done it and im thinking i need to do it since its been pretty hard lately to shift into 2nd and 3rd. Ive had the car for a year and a half and have never changed this and im sure the previous owner didnt either. Yesterday i ordered a MityVac since i read that that is the easiest way to go about it. I honestly dont even know where to start...
Old 09-25-2011, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

search for JMD method. its the most complete method I've seen so far.

Bleeding on our cars without a remote bleeder is pretty tough, so just incase you ever have your transmission out, at $50, its a worthwhile investment.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I bled mine yesterday when I put my new tick master cylinder on. You'll need two people to do it. I drove my car up on ramps, then my dad got in the car and pumped the clutch pedal. There is a bleeder screw on the side of the trans right above where the master cylinder line clips into it. You can't really see it but you can feel it. You'll need a 1/4" drive ratchet, and a shallow well 7/16" socket. Basically the process is just like bleeding brakes. Pump the clutch pedal a few times, then hold it then crack the bleeder screw open to let the fluid out. Close and repeat until the fluid is clean and clear. I had to do it about 20 times to get all of the old crappy looking fluid out of my slave cylinder.

Take your time when bleeding it. Don't get in a hurry. If the socket falls into the bell housing, you know what that means. To me, if gm would have made that screw a little longer so that it stuck out and you could get an open end wrench on it, that would be perfect.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:34 PM
Teching In

have you guys heard about the mityvac method?
Old 09-25-2011, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

Make sure you keep the reservoir full during the bleeding process. Failure to do so will introduce air into the system. The TICK speedbleeder is a very worthwhile investment, takes >5mins to bleed the whole system.

If you aren't uneasy about cutting into your car, you can turn the job into a one man operation by using a hole saw bit, cutting an access hole into the tunnel, then bleed it by yourself. ill have to find the write up. There are tons of threads about this.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lunatikgixxer
have you guys heard about the mityvac method?
Yes, & you will be glad you did. Works great IMO.
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13170172132561
Old 09-26-2011, 07:00 PM
Teching In

hey thanks flintwrench thats what i was looking for! How exactly do you set up the mityvac though?
Old 09-26-2011, 08:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by lunatikgixxer
hey thanks flintwrench thats what i was looking for! How exactly do you set up the mityvac though?
Its in the link. Theres a few pics of what you need to do.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:46 PM
Teching In

ok cool thanks man
Old 09-27-2011, 12:27 AM
TECH Addict

If youre just wanting to bleed your system with the mity vac I would skip past the first section where he talks about the slave sim. Scroll down to about the 13th pic, where theres pics of the mityvac hose with cone adapter stuck in the reservoir bleeding the system.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
If youre just wanting to bleed your system with the mity vac I would skip past the first section where he talks about the slave sim. Scroll down to about the 13th pic, where theres pics of the mityvac hose with cone adapter stuck in the reservoir bleeding the system.
yeah i seen that, the whole first section is the bench bleed, thanks for the tut its really gunna help. BTW i looked at my fluid yesterday and it looks like pure black ****.. lol definitely needs a change.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:36 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Am I reading this right in that I won't have to tinker with the bleeder valve near the tranny using this method? So this becomes a one man job as long as I can see the vac as i pump the pedal?

Quick Reply: Bleeding the clutch fluid?