Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Wheel bearing help

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wheel bearing help

So I have had a humming noise from my passenger side rear for a long time now and its getting annoying. I think its the wheel bearing. The sound gets louder the faster I go, and when I turn left the noise gets louder. I'm guessing because all the load is forced to that side, then when I turn right the sound completely goes away. I wouldn't think it would be anything in the rear end cuz my car only has 58k miles on it. How would I go about diagnosing it and how to replace a wheel bearing? I hope to god I dont have to pull out the axles and all that to do it, hopefully just the hub. Help is much appreciated.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CamaroManLS1
So I have had a humming noise from my passenger side rear for a long time now and its getting annoying. I think its the wheel bearing. The sound gets louder the faster I go, and when I turn left the noise gets louder. I'm guessing because all the load is forced to that side, then when I turn right the sound completely goes away. I wouldn't think it would be anything in the rear end cuz my car only has 58k miles on it. How would I go about diagnosing it and how to replace a wheel bearing? I hope to god I dont have to pull out the axles and all that to do it, hopefully just the hub. Help is much appreciated.

I'm on the same boat as you.

It can be either your wheel or axle bearings.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:33 AM
On The Tree

I had to replace my right rear axle when my 2000 Z28 had about 85 thousand miles on it. The humm kept kept getting louder, and the axle had what appeared to be a heat imprint from the rollers in the bearing. New right axle, and 2 new bearings and seals and no more problem. The right side must be oil starved for some reason, as I have only heard of people having problems on the right rear axle.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:30 AM
Teching In

I am getting noise from the driver rear only. Looks as though I maybe checking bearings. How bad of a job is it to change the bearings?
Old 10-26-2011, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just had the wheel bearings and u-joints replaced in mine last week. Car has 65K on it. I took it in to get aligned after installing lowering springs and shocks. They took it for a test drive and the alignment was great. They mentioned a lot of noise coming from the rear. It has made that noise for a while, but the car doesn't get many miles on it. I had the gear changed in 2003 (about 10K ago) and thought that might be the problem. Turns out the ring and pinion were the only thing worth saving Bearings were chewed up pretty good. Thought about upgrading to a 12 bolt but decided just to fix this one for now. Mine got louder over time, but since I don't put many miles on it, it was never a priority. I got lucky I wasn't out when it decided to let go. It needs to come all apart to check it all.

Quick Reply: Wheel bearing help