Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Broken torque arm mount, couple of questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken torque arm mount, couple of questions.

Ok so my torque arm mount came apart/broke while i was driving. Happened saturday night and didnt realize what had happened til just now. I was able to limp it home with occasional banging noises from what im now assuming to be the torque arm banging up and down. When i jacked my car up i noticed there was tranny fluid spewed all over the underside of my car, but i dont know where it has come from.

Could it have come from where the driveshaft sticks into the the tranny? Maybe from the driveshaft becoming **** eyed somewhat after it wasn't held straight to the tranny no more?

And is there a potential that something could have broke in the tranny from this happening? Or are there other areas i should be concerned with?

Or can i put a new mount on and refill the tranny then be good to go?
Old 09-26-2011, 12:52 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

remove the driveshaft; inspect & test fit the slip-yoke to the output.
triple check the tailhousing casting for cracks.
buy a crossmember w/ divorced tq. arm hookup.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

k i'll pull the driveshaft and check things out, and is the torque arm setup you mentioned a tunnel mount style im assuming?
Old 09-26-2011, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_M
Ok so my torque arm mount came apart/broke while i was driving. Happened saturday night and didnt realize what had happened til just now. I was able to limp it home with occasional banging noises from what im now assuming to be the torque arm banging up and down. When i jacked my car up i noticed there was tranny fluid spewed all over the underside of my car, but i dont know where it has come from.

Could it have come from where the driveshaft sticks into the the tranny? Maybe from the driveshaft becoming **** eyed somewhat after it wasn't held straight to the tranny no more?

And is there a potential that something could have broke in the tranny from this happening? Or are there other areas i should be concerned with?

Or can i put a new mount on and refill the tranny then be good to go?
Theres a good chance the trans tailshaft housing is cracked, thats why youre seeing the trans fluid. Best thing to do to prevent it from happenning again is get a relocation trans crossmember for the torque arm.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

So i have cleaned the tailhousing and looked it over for cracks. So far it looks fine. The bolt holding the top of the mount broke causing the mount to open and fling up out of the slot. The right half of the mount is still attached.

I did a bit of reading and came up with the tailshaft bushing going bad can cause a leak. And so far it looks like alot of people have trouble with the fitment.

Is there a replacement bushing option that doesn't involve honing out or any other trickery to make work?

Quick Reply: Broken torque arm mount, couple of questions.