Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this rasp you all speak of?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question What is this rasp you all speak of?

I hear lots of people say their car has rasp. I currently (not for long) have a 3.8 V6. Now there is a rasp problem. I just cant fathom that a LS1 can sound bad. The sixxers rasp is compared to a Honda. What does V8 rasp sound like? Anyone know of a clip that has noticible rasp? Thanks,
John
Old 03-08-2004, 03:47 AM
TECH Resident

It is hard to describe but is annoying as hell. When money permits I am ditching my SLP LM and going with a true dual setup to allieviate the problem. I guess it could be described as something like what glass packs do, they just make an annoying sound.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:58 AM
10 Second Club

Ha this is going to be a tough one... it is not a clear deep exhaust note like you would get from most v8's... it just sounds like shyt... and is like said above like the glass packs make
Old 03-08-2004, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

think of for about 2 seconds, just around where your muffler or resonator would have a slight drone, and instead of that drone you have the sound of an import with a 6 inch fart can. and know the sound that makes...sounds like a gay man passing gas. air just kinda flobbles out of it. for a couple of seconds you have that sound, just 4 times more powerful. it sounds just fugly, even if it only lasts for a couple of seconds across the power band...that is enough to completely ruin the overall soun dof the car.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats the thing, Since I have a V6, I would think "Ahh, I cant wait to get a nice sounding fast V8", then I hear they have a rasp too and obviously its not as bad (well, hopefully, that would really suck). Is it only when running a free breathing exhaust (headers, hi-flo, etc..)?
Old 03-08-2004, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

rasp usually comes when you remove the catalytic converters. I haven't heard too many cars even with long tube headers and the loudmouth with cats that have rasp. sometimes they have a little bit but its negligable at best.

highflow cats or a bullet style muffler in the I pipe seem to be the cure for rasp. so its not necessarily an expensive fix.
T
Old 03-08-2004, 01:53 PM
On The Tree

I would describe it as a really loud buzzing sound, in addition to the normal exhaust tone for the vehicle.