Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My new fog hids :) Until the passenger side blew :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 10:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new fog hids :) Until the passenger side blew :(

These are some pics of my fog hids. The passenger side bulb was flickering pretty bad and i checked both ballasts and they were good. please excuse the paint on the front end. just got this car and the owner before the guy i bought the car from had a low speed crash. oh and here are my new decals. 8000k by the way for the hids. i got them locally and the whole kit with a 2 year warranty is 55.
Attached Thumbnails My new fog hids :) Until the passenger side blew :(-390.jpg   My new fog hids :) Until the passenger side blew :(-391.jpg   My new fog hids :) Until the passenger side blew :(-399.jpg   My new fog hids :) Until the passenger side blew :(-397.jpg  
Old 09-27-2011, 12:45 PM
Staging Lane

Any opinions?
Old 09-27-2011, 03:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anything higher than 5000K IMO is rice and low on actual lumens output compared to the whiter colors. 4300-5000K is what you need for optimal lighting output. Now for fogs, 3000K (yellow) is also acceptable.

Add to it the "fog" pattern on these lights is blinding with HID's. I'm a lighting *****, so pardon the stern remarks. I enjoy the highest output possible, but also safety for oncoming traffic and myself. You should look at retrofitting some projectors in the fog light housings, or find an aftermarket light with a better cutoff. Check out http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/ for a wealth of information regarding HID's, projectors, LED's, and then some.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:24 PM
Staging Lane

I didn't think the fogs would be blinding lighting *****
Old 09-27-2011, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HibachiZ28
Anything higher than 5000K IMO is rice and low on actual lumens output compared to the whiter colors. 4300-5000K is what you need for optimal lighting output. Now for fogs, 3000K (yellow) is also acceptable.

Add to it the "fog" pattern on these lights is blinding with HID's. I'm a lighting *****, so pardon the stern remarks. I enjoy the highest output possible, but also safety for oncoming traffic and myself. You should look at retrofitting some projectors in the fog light housings, or find an aftermarket light with a better cutoff. Check out http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/ for a wealth of information regarding HID's, projectors, LED's, and then some.
I agree. The 8000k ones look like a beam of light you'd see in dragonball z. Might as well said your power level is 9000.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jacobsoup
I didn't think the fogs would be blinding lighting *****
The problem is that they are Example shown here - note the high amount of glare into the camera lens even though the camera is not directly in front of the vehicle:

But, I'm just here to help. Not here to berate you or anything just for the sake of being a dick. I'm just trying to prevent you from being cited by police and blinding oncoming traffic. I've been in the Fire & EMS service for nearly a decade. Several friends a LEO's. I've asked several times regarding HID's and many other items. Matter of fact, check out this post here with a LEO on my local forum being asked about HID's from a ricer:

Ricer: What are the chances of getting pulled for the 8k hids in the headlights, they are not tinted heads just the bezel is black but the housing in the front is clear..Now the fogs will likely get me pulled for them being tinted but I hardly drive at night and its not necessary to use them.

LEO: The chances are 50/50, you either will or you won't. I stop cars for HIDs all the time, have never written a ticket for it but have gotten DUIs and drugs out of them

Ricer: Not being sarcastic or anything but how do u know who has oem hids and who doesn't? And is it legal to pull someone just for hids I always thought it was like a two for one violation. Like if u pull someone for speeding you can be like oh yeah ur lights. *Me: This is a stupid question. If I know which cars come OEM with HID's, then a LEO definitely will.*

And since I'm not a drinker at all and dont use drugs I'm good in that department if I should be pulled.

Thanks for the response as well.

LEO: OEM hids are extremely easy to spot, I do lots of traffic stops just from having so much interaction with all makes and models of vehicles I have come to know which cars are factory and which are not. And then there the drivers who I stop with 12000K lights in a 1991 Civic hatch who try to say they are OEM. 8000K HIDs stand out especially if they are just installed into a stock halogen housing. Beam pattern, light dispersement and beam cutoff are all easy was to spot a car that has aftermarket HIDs.

Yes I can stop you for just one equipment violation, which is what lights would fall under. There are several sections just relating to inspection procedures that aftermarket HIDs violate that make it a lawful stop, there are also tables for total candlepower and light beam color that I can use for the stop to be lawful and finally there are sections for "ornamental lighting" I can use for the stop to be lawful.

Use said information for what you will, there is no clear answer I can give you whether you will be stopped or not other than maybe you will maybe you won't, but yes the situation you describe provides and officer with a lawful reason to stop you.

Ricer: I take your advice seriously..I was just kinda wondering how you could tell and if it was something I could be stopped for.. In no way shape or form am I being sarcastic or anything these were just questions I wanted to clarify with myself.. I hope that I don't get stopped and if I do hopefully the police will be a nice guy/woman like yourself and not give me a ticket..

Thanks again for the time you have taken to answer my questions I really appreciate it..
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...ion-With-a-LEO
Old 09-28-2011, 02:28 PM
Staging Lane

Well if it helps any I returned the 8000 and got 6000s cuz that's all they had. I will definitely be ordering some projector housings
Old 09-28-2011, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jacobsoup
Well if it helps any I returned the 8000 and got 6000s cuz that's all they had. I will definitely be ordering some projector housings
That's what I like to hear. YOU will be happier with the 6000K as well. It puts out more lumens and isn't as annoying. You will also be able to see better in inclement weather than with the bluer setup. Just watch the glare until you get a projector retrofit in there or some decent e-code or similar housings.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:48 AM
Staging Lane

Ya i will watch it. one thing. so i plugged them up and had everything tested. the lights work well in their shop but when plugged into my ta one of them flickers. like i will turn it on and it might go out, so i turn off my fogs and switch them pack on then it will stay on. the guy said i might need to run a relay because they arent getting enough power. the one likes to flicker.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You may need to upgrade your wiring harness. Stock wiring harnesses are typically in the range of 16-20 gauge. A thicker wire is going to have less resistance thus allowing more battery voltage to make it to the ballasts. The ballasts do require a fair amount of power to ignite. Did you try swapping the ballast sides, though, to see if the flicker follows the one ballast? If that's the case, it may be a bad ballast.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:42 PM
Staging Lane

ya i had to return the one bad ballast they gave me and the ones i have now are fine. the shop told me to try a relay. would that work ok?
Old 09-30-2011, 09:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A relay will help, yes.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

Aren't even 10K HID's more Lumens than a regular low beam bulb??? I always wonder why people jump on the "Usable Light" horse when even the 8K's produce more light than a traditional low beam bulb. I have 8K's on my Sportbike (Not only did it open a new world of night riding, it also helps me get seen on the road).
Old 10-01-2011, 02:50 AM
Staging Lane

Well since I bought the hid kit for an 880 bulb, is there any projector housing that will support this bulb? will the hella 90's take that style bulb? any suggestions hibachi?
Old 10-02-2011, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just save your money and get this http://www.blackbirdlighting.com/ for your low beams.

Then, buy this for your fog lights. http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Ap...Raptor-HID-Kit
Old 10-02-2011, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pimpjames
Aren't even 10K HID's more Lumens than a regular low beam bulb??? I always wonder why people jump on the "Usable Light" horse when even the 8K's produce more light than a traditional low beam bulb. I have 8K's on my Sportbike (Not only did it open a new world of night riding, it also helps me get seen on the road).
This explains it very well.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Staging Lane

true blood i already have hids for the fogs i just need a projector housing.

Quick Reply: My new fog hids :) Until the passenger side blew :(