Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Full suspension??

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 12:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full suspension??

ok so I'm wondering what would be need to be done to my car.. All it has aftermarket is in my sig.. I'm wanting to build my suspension up before I even think about my motor.. money is an issue but it will come in time lol.. Incase you didn't know it's a 2002 Z28 A4.. She's got a hard 175,000+ miles on her..
Old 09-27-2011, 08:04 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Since it is an auto with a good sized stall I imagine that you are mostly going to be drag racing with the car. If this is the case I would start off with the basic parts like rear lower control arms and lower control arm relocation brackets. From there I would look into a tubular torque arm and torque arm relocation crossmember which will get the torque arm off the transmission tail shaft housing. From there you can look into sway bars, shocks, and tubular front suspension.

If you are doing more handling oriented stuff I would look at shock, lowering springs, and sway bars. These are the parts that really set the foundation for a good handling f-body.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 09-27-2011, 11:40 AM
Teching In

She is my good ol' DD... lol so not really a drag car..
Old 09-27-2011, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

With the amount of miles on the car all the stock rubber bushings are more then likely bad.

1 You could buy new stock type frt control arm bushings , anti sway bar bushings, shocks and ball joints. The pros are low cost and decent ride. The cons alot of labor to change the control arm hardware.

2 The rear. New control arm and panhard bushings and again shocks, and bump stops. Lots of labor and again low cost.

3 New trans mount and T. arm mount bushing.

You'll have a new stock riding car again.

For a small performance gain less labor, but more cash. New frt arms with a poly bushing or a bearing . New Koni or Bilstein shocks frt and rear. New 1LE anti sway bar bushings and end links. I'm not sure if you can get them from GM any more.

Poly trans, and torque arm mount bushing.

New lower control arms with poly or rubber. New panhard bar and new bump stops.

If the budget allows an aftermarket torque arm is a major improvement over the stock piece.

Last edited by 1lejohn; 09-27-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:45 PM
Teching In

right now i do not have a budget but cheaper with the better preformace is always good lol.. but yea next spring is when i should have about $2000 rolling around to play with..
Old 09-27-2011, 02:10 PM
Teching In

I am firm in saying, I would never put anything except hard rubber bushing on a street car.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:48 PM
Teching In

I have been told that poly motor mounts were ok just don't use the Polly trans mounts..
Old 09-28-2011, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check the rubber tranny mount and see if its ripped. They do it all the time. Aleast the poly has a captive clam shell to keep the tranny from hitting the floor pan etc.

2k would just about do all the suspension minus the Koni shocks $$. If you went with the Bilsteins you might fit the T arm into the budget.

Don't over look frame connectors they make a big difference. I've had bolt on ones on the car for 11 years.

Last edited by 1lejohn; 09-28-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slowside
I am firm in saying, I would never put anything except hard rubber bushing on a street car.
It depends on what type of roads you drive and the level of NVH you can stand. There are alot of choices such as the roto joint bushings, poly , full rod ends, teflon etc.

Many people agree with the rubber.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:29 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Shocks and bushings, those are your first moves. You can't build a house on a shaky foundation. Well, you can... it's just not smart.

Bushings I think are self-explanatory, it's bad when control arms and suspension parts can move around too much.

Shocks, because they are the single most critical part under there for almost everything you want. Most folks hate the floating, the bobbing, the impact harshness, and the generally disjointed feeling that abounds. All shock issues.........

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!