Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Making a gauge pod need some help

Old 09-27-2011, 08:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Making a gauge pod need some help

My buddy is trying to put together a gauge pod for his C5 that will sit on top of the steering column cover that will hold 3 gauges. Can anyone provide some pointers in how we can wrap it in fiberglass or any other recommended material. He told me he was buying foam that we could trim and cut to the shape we needed but I had something different in mind. He ended up buying the green foam that is used like at a floral shop.

He took a stab at it the other day and he covered his rendition in fiberglass but I guess there is some kind of reaction that maybe causes the glass to heat up a little and it looks like it maybe melted or distorted the foam. I took one of the foam blocks last night and carved it to what I want it to look like. What would be the next step to ensure when it's being wrapped with fiberglass it retains the same shape or should I be making this out of something else?

Old 09-27-2011, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cover it in tin foil or plastic wrap or even masking tape. The solvents in the resin eat the foam. Ever try to spray paint styrofoam of the pink foam insulation? Same effect.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Can't say that I have this is the first time I'm trying to do anything like this. I was thinking about maybe covering it body filler but that seems like a lot of work. I think I'll try the tape route.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

use cloth...
Old 09-27-2011, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Can you elaborate please?
Old 09-27-2011, 12:17 PM
TECH Resident

If you can make a wood frame of it that'd be a lot better. Foam and fiberglass do not play well together. If you can somehow make a wood face that the gauges sit in and then have some small thin wood pieces running to the backside piece. Then stretch some cloth over the entire frame and glue or staple it to stay in place. Then you can start the fiberglassing procedure.

If not, try and put some thicker cloth over the foam and glue/staple that in place and see if it will adhere. It's kind of hard to explain over the computer, but I will try and make a little drawing if need be.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:19 PM
TECH Resident

You can also just take a new piece of foam and shave it down to the shape and size you want for the pod and then wrap it but I'm unsure as to how you would mount it and well as get the material to adhere to the foam.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1badWS6
If you can make a wood frame of it that'd be a lot better. Foam and fiberglass do not play well together. If you can somehow make a wood face that the gauges sit in and then have some small thin wood pieces running to the backside piece. Then stretch some cloth over the entire frame and glue or staple it to stay in place. Then you can start the fiberglassing procedure.

If not, try and put some thicker cloth over the foam and glue/staple that in place and see if it will adhere. It's kind of hard to explain over the computer, but I will try and make a little drawing if need be.
I've seen that done on of the custom car tv shows before. I'll look into that as an option.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:02 PM
TECH Resident

Let me elaborate on my last post. You can either wrap the foam pod you make with vinyl or whatever material of your choice. Or if you'd like to glass that, you can try wrapping thicker cloth like a heavier t-shirt around the foam. Then you can glass over the cloth and see how well that works out. The only thing I can think of to make the cloth adhere to the foam is some m90 adhesive glue. It's the extra strength glue in the aerosol can.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:04 PM
TECH Resident

I've done the first method I've mentioned quite a few times actually. It works the best IMO.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Staging Lane

sent you a link for a site that elaborates with pictures....the stretching cloth over the frame bit works really well...depending on what your using to hold the gauges in place, some guys used pvc pipe I believe.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I made pod for nitrous/fuel gauges for cowl maybe similar. First be patient I have a few hours into but its different! What I used was a couple of old rattle can lids and taped together (tape will get gooey)and the top makes good flat surface to mount gauge. I laid everything out except back then popped out lids after it set up then used piece of plastic for back then laid more glass and pulled out plastic after setup. we used to use clay and spray with this release film but used what I had. Good luck and can't wait to see.
Attached Thumbnails Making a gauge pod need some help-our-bay-2.jpg   Making a gauge pod need some help-sunp0009.jpg   Making a gauge pod need some help-sunp0014.jpg  

Last edited by 01badbird; 09-27-2011 at 02:46 PM. Reason: wriong pic
Old 09-27-2011, 04:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the info fellas. I'll probably mess with it again today or tomorrow I need to work on my car now.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

Just out of curiosity for those of you saying to use cloth...

Won't the resin seep through the cloth and cause the same effect, perhaps not as severe? Unless, of course, you used a dense fabric.

I've always used clay for 'glassing, so am not entirely sure as to the exact issue you're going through. But, in essence, the resin does tend to heat up. The severity of the heat depends upon the amount of resin used.

You could always try coating the foam with some clay. Just wax it before laying the glass. That way you can get into every nook and cranny without worrying about wrinkles and uneven deformities.

I'm not a pro, so I may be wrong on a few things. I've only ever used it for a few projects, but nothing significant.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:33 PM
TECH Resident

I'm not exactly sure what would happen in that instance. But I'm sure once you get a couple coats of glass on it should be good regardless.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, the resin WILL soak the cloth and deform the foam. Just use the tape and be done. Making a wood frame will make you start all over from scratch so just go with what you have because it IS a used and proven method. Covering in body filler would work but you'll just be adding WAY more work to the project. Once the piece is made over the foam, leave the foam inside to hold your gauges in place nicely. You may need to pick out access 'tunnels' vertically to route the wires. Very simple and quite quick. You're on the right track!
Old 09-28-2011, 02:04 PM
Staging Lane

Wrap it in aluminum foil.then glass it.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you get some modeling foam (I like the blue stuff) you can just mix up some resin and brush it onto the foam and it won't deform. After the resin is dry you can bondo it, sand it smooth and paint it. I've done it before on a couple of design models and it'll be plenty strong for a gauge cluster.

Regards,
Ryan
Old 10-05-2011, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks man. I found some epoxy resin at a local hobby shop and it didn't deform or eat or way at the foam. I tried my best to fiberglass it but I definitely need some practice. It's all good now though. I ended up putting body filler over the glass smoothed it like I wanted it and then tried wrapping it. Not the best wrapping work but it will do.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

Looks great!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Making a gauge pod need some help