Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4th gen radiator fans on 67 radiator

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 07:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4th gen radiator fans on 67 radiator

I have a new aluminum radiator for my 67 and have recently decided to do an lq9 swap and I want to be sure that I can securely fasten the 4th gen radiator fans to my 1st gen radiator before I buy the fans. Has anyone done this or know if it will work?

Thanks
Old 09-27-2011, 08:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Old_Yeller
I have a new aluminum radiator for my 67 and have recently decided to do an lq9 swap and I want to be sure that I can securely fasten the 4th gen radiator fans to my 1st gen radiator before I buy the fans. Has anyone done this or know if it will work?

Thanks
If they're the same double fans with a shroud, you certainly can. I used some aluminum L-channel and some small rivets to fasten the fans to the alum radiator. When I get home from work, in a bit, I'll post a couple of pics.

5 mins later....Ok, as I posted, I realized that the build thread for my car is just below. Check out the last couple of photos on the build.
You'll see the L-channel on top, and there is corresponding L-channel on the bottom of the rad as well. It was quite easy, after mocking it up and going over just where everything lined up and should be attached.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:42 PM
Teching In

Thanks man. That's what I needed to know. When you say stock fans with a Be Cool radiator, are you talking about stock 4th gen fans? I am not sure but I think the 4th gen fans I saw were offset from each other. Maybe yours are too and I just missed it. Car looks great by the way.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks!
Yes, they are the stock 4th gen fans, and they are offset. In the last photo of the build, the lower fan is out of view behind the rad hose & CAI.

Here is a writeup....The stock fans were reused from the 98LS1.
A bit of trimming on the left and right black plastic of the fan support is required. Some aluminum 'L' channel from Lowe's and a rivet gun will attach those fans to the top edge of the rad, and three or four screws and couple of bolts and nuts on the bottom.
The 'L' channel on top will be 1/2" (into rad panel) X 3/4" (into upper fan panel) & riveted. You'll see how this fits.
I used 1" x 1" on the bottom with screws into upper side of alumin 'L' & lower rad shroud. Then, 1 bolt/nut apiece on either side of lower alum 'L' & car frame.
Notice that alum 'L' is two pieces on top!

The ports on the BeCool have different sizes than those on the stock rad. If you're using a rad with the same sized ports as the BeCool, this might be useful...

What radiator hoses did you use?
Quote: gMAG For application of stock radiator "1998-00" (LS1), Classic Industries listed these..Goodyear MH585/upper (cut to fit) & MH1235/lower (cut to fit). When the hoses arrived, I then realized that the ports on the BeCool "exact fit" radiator were larger than the stock LS1 rad, which made these hoses unusable. They would have fit perfectly on the stock rad though!
For the BeCool, a 2 hour foray @ PepBoys led me to these...upper (E)71911 & lower (D)71426CS.
No matter which of the two upper hoses were used (stock rad or BeCool), there was a little bending involved to make them fit, and I thought that the hose might suck closed at the bends. Another trip to Advance Auto for a hose containing a long spring. You can buy the cheapest one...the idea being that the spring is removed from THAT hose, then cut in two sections, then each section of spring worked into each bend in your new upper hose. This worked well.

Last edited by gMAG; 09-27-2011 at 11:09 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:57 PM
Teching In

Appreciate the help. Guess I am good to go.

Quick Reply: 4th gen radiator fans on 67 radiator