Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need help with H.I.D's please

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with H.I.D's please

Ok so my girlfriends car is a 96 mustang (I know) she has these cheap *** lights from eBay and the low beams are horrible so I wanna replace them with H.I.D's but I know nothing about H.I.D's so I need help with which ones I need for low beams her car is dangerous to drive at night now and I'm looking to get this done as cheaply as possible so any help is appreciated here is the lights she has now

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Smoke...ht_5220wt_1302
Old 09-27-2011, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

What do you expect for that price? A miracle?

Kidding... Kidding...

What you'd need to look for are simple HID Kits that include the ballast, the bulb, wiring harness preferably, etc. You'd want to match the bulbs requested for the headlight. In this case, H3 Lows and H1 Highs.

You'd have a choice of 35W and 55W. Look into the differences between the two. It comes down to power necessary and heat.

Pretty much all sub-$100 kits are the same and work pretty well and usually carry decent warranties.

Note: The cutoff may not be the best, but what can you expect from cheap projectors? Also, the projectors aren't made for HID's, so as a result there's a high probability of light scatter.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:32 AM
TECH Resident

Dont bother getting thoose. You will be better off restoring her lights and going with good halogen bulbs. Those are going to be made for halogen bulbs anyways.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

She already has the lights that what I was saying
Old 09-28-2011, 06:43 PM
TECH Resident

Put the stock ones in or put better projectors in. Check out hidplanet for extreme lighting info
Old 09-28-2011, 07:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know it was posted above about the High's but there kinda pointless themselves. I mean you use your lows more than you do you high's so by you swapping back and forth between HID low and HID high, you'll be killing the high's and they will last no where near as long as the low's themselves.

If your gonna go forth and put HID's in her headlights, the highest bulb temp. I would go would be 6k since to me, anything after that, you'll be loosing light more than you would be using.

Like said before I would just either put in the factory lights or buy some new factory head lights cause the eBay projectors are shitty unless you wanna spend the time/money on upgrading the actual projector part themselves. Just my $0.02 though.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:19 PM
11 Second Club

6k or 8k HID's are the best IMO

the $40 ebay ones work just fine and have a great warranty, ive only ever had one problem and they sent me a whole kit as a replacement for one part.

as long as the bulb is the same type (i.e. camaro are 9006) then they will plug in the housing and then its a matter of 2 connections to the stock wiring, usually plug and play. all you have to do is get the + and - going the correct direction, since, like LED's...HID's only work one way.