Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Veterans: College residency question

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 01:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Veterans: College residency question

For those of you that got out, stayed in the state of your separation for a while and moved home.

I've spent a total of about 10 months out of the military going to college here in California. I plan on moving home after this semester is over putting me out of the military in Cali for 13 months. My car is registered to Cali and the same for my drivers license.

The reason i stress over this is I want to avoid paying out of state tuition.

Key notes:
My Parents live in Texas
DD214 says Texas
Paid taxes up until last year in Texas

I did establish residency here in Cali with the school because of the change in the post 9/11 Gi bill no longer paying for out of state tuition.

Should I fly back home before the 1 year mark and get a Texas license?

Any advice or loopholes helps..
Old 09-28-2011, 02:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is your home of record?
Old 09-28-2011, 05:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NVUSZ28
Where is your home of record?
home of record / birth cert is Texas
Old 09-28-2011, 06:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

On your ERB/ORB (different acronym if you're not in the Army) Where do you pay "state" taxes. On that form, via mypay/ERB, it says Texas or California?

Couple of things. If it is Texas then you don't have to pay out of state taxes. If it is California, all you have to do is have an address in the state that you want to go to college at. (i.e. I want to go to the university of east jesus nowhere. I change my address of my bank statements to: Random City, East Jesus Nowhere)

I've lived in Virginia, and had a Virginia license, but still had my truck registered in Texas. My ERB states my home of record is Texas. You can always change your home of record with your S1 shop.

Also, you can have dual residency. i.e. 2 drivers licenses, one in Cali and one in Texas. But you cannot have more than 2.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NVUSZ28
On your ERB/ORB (different acronym if you're not in the Army) Where do you pay "state" taxes. On that form, via mypay/ERB, it says Texas or California?

Couple of things. If it is Texas then you don't have to pay out of state taxes. If it is California, all you have to do is have an address in the state that you want to go to college at. (i.e. I want to go to the university of east jesus nowhere. I change my address of my bank statements to: Random City, East Jesus Nowhere)

I've lived in Virginia, and had a Virginia license, but still had my truck registered in Texas. My ERB states my home of record is Texas. You can always change your home of record with your S1 shop.

Also, you can have dual residency. i.e. 2 drivers licenses, one in Cali and one in Texas. But you cannot have more than 2.

I dont think it's possible to change any of that with it printed on my hard copy dd214
Old 09-29-2011, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was in the same boat - two years in CA, moved back to TX and registered for classes. I had a temporary license with my parents address (in TX) and thats all they needed. One lady in the admissions office tried to give me ****, then her supervisor saw my military ID and told me not to worry
Old 09-30-2011, 08:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KrisXpc
I dont think it's possible to change any of that with it printed on my hard copy dd214
It's always possible to change your home of record. Talk with your Human Resources Shop.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VinR1
I was in the same boat - two years in CA, moved back to TX and registered for classes. I had a temporary license with my parents address (in TX) and thats all they needed. One lady in the admissions office tried to give me ****, then her supervisor saw my military ID and told me not to worry

So 2 year out of the military in CA then moved back home?

By temp license do you mean when you got back to TX you got a new license and showed the temp to the registration office?

Quick Reply: Veterans: College residency question