Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

what spool for my 8yr old moser 12 bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 08:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default what spool for my 8yr old moser 12 bolt?

My moser 12 bolt was installed in 2003. I want to replace my eaton posi with a spool. I have heard since then they have changed the spline design on 33 spline axles and the moser spool will not work on axles that are as old as mine. it will actually fit sloppy. I dont trust that at all. anyone know anything about this? the moser rep actually told me to use a strange spool. the lady at strange said she was unsure if they have anything that will fit my axles. so what the hell spool do I buy?
Old 09-28-2011, 09:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will need a Strange spool. Eaton does not make a 33 spline posi. The performance aftermarket industry used Eaton's 30 spline posi housings and machined them to work with the 33 spline Strange manufactured side gears. I hope this clears up your confusion.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:30 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

after more research I found the reason there is 2 differnt 33 spline designs is because the eaton true track was introduced as a moser option some years later. they made all of there axles differntly from that point on. back in 2003 when I bought mine the only option was eaton posi clutch style. so as long as I order a strange spool that is made to go with axles that also fit an eaton posi everything is perfect. strange customer service verified this. they have delt with this before.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good news, seems all parties are on the same page regarding your need for a Strange spool.

Quick Reply: what spool for my 8yr old moser 12 bolt?