Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What Alignment Settings For Koni/Strano Setup???

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 05:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What Alignment Settings For Koni/Strano Setup???

Hey,

So as the title said, I have a Koni/Strano setup on my car. I also have an adjustable torque arm, but my car definitely feels like something is off driving on the highway -- it drifts a bit to the left and it literally feels like the car is stuttering over broken pavement driving on the highway above 70 mph.

I got the car aligned by a local speed shop, but something tells me they didn't quite know what they were doing. I was just curious if stock alignment settings would work for this setup or are there better settings out there?

Thanks
Old 09-28-2011, 05:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

I guess my first questions are what did they set it (or supposedly set it) to? Where are the shocks set, and what are the tire pressures and sizes (it matters).

Has it always felt this way, or changed after the alignment?

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 09-28-2011, 06:02 PM
TECH Regular

Stock WS6 tire size and pressures.

-1.2 camber
+5.5 caster
1/16" toe in

I forget the term but the tires are set to 0, whereas from the factory they were angled outwards a bit (can't recall that actual term sorry)

Shocks are set at soft

I don't recall whether or not it was this way before the alignment honestly.

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I guess my first questions are what did they set it (or supposedly set it) to? Where are the shocks set, and what are the tire pressures and sizes (it matters).

Has it always felt this way, or changed after the alignment?
Old 09-28-2011, 08:27 PM
TECH Regular

Thoughts?
Old 09-28-2011, 11:37 PM
11 Second Club

did you reajust the TA angle ?
the camber is lower than I like ( I like + setting on camber for street running, if auto-x I might go a little -) I like close to OE specs wheter lowered or OE heigh. With that caster setting you should pull a very littie to RIGHT,what is your rear thrust angle? do not think it would cause your problem. how is your tires ? and pressure ?

:.....it drifts a bit to the left and it literally feels like the car is stuttering over broken pavement driving on the highway above 70 mph. "

I think a tire with a broken/twisted belt is problem
even a new tire sometimes will act up try crossing the 2 FRONT tire and see if any differance in driving( better or worse) IF no differance try crossing the REAR tires ,check for differance , this will NOT damange the tires for a short time

just my 0.02' Johnny

Last edited by SS SLP2; 09-28-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:17 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You kind of left out some details that I asked about, and that do matter.

If it's a street only car, then I'd not run the -1.2 camber. That will make it more prone to following ruts. As for the shock settings, how did you end up at full soft, particularly on the front. It's not what I recommend, though if like it best that's cool. However too little damping for the springs is a bad as too much (worse actually). And I run my Koni's higher than that by a good bit in front.

Details, let's have the details.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-01-2011, 02:15 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
You kind of left out some details that I asked about, and that do matter.

If it's a street only car, then I'd not run the -1.2 camber. That will make it more prone to following ruts. As for the shock settings, how did you end up at full soft, particularly on the front. It's not what I recommend, though if like it best that's cool. However too little damping for the springs is a bad as too much (worse actually). And I run my Koni's higher than that by a good bit in front.

Details, let's have the details.
What did I leave out? As far as the rate, it's basically a daily driver at this point so soft seemed logical as I don't want my teeth jarring on my commute to work. But, if you are now telling me that this is bad, then what exactly are your recommendations?

Last edited by Xtreme57; 10-01-2011 at 02:16 AM. Reason: b/c
Old 10-01-2011, 03:07 AM
TECH Regular

And again, would stock settings work for this setup or would the car drive poorly?
Old 10-02-2011, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Xtreme57
What did I leave out? As far as the rate, it's basically a daily driver at this point so soft seemed logical as I don't want my teeth jarring on my commute to work. But, if you are now telling me that this is bad, then what exactly are your recommendations?
"soft" rebound doesnt = soft ride, and stiffer rebound doesn't = stiffer ride. Turn your shocks all the way up and count the number of sweeps you have, then back them down half of what you turned up, that will be a good starting point. I personally drive around the street with them 3 sweeps from full hard in the front, and full soft in the rear.
Also what tire pressure are you at? Don't say "stock", actually go out to the car and check it out, it may be way too high, some shops for whatever reason like to crank it up. Should be around 30psi on all 4.

And again, would stock settings work for this setup or would the car drive poorly?
Stock camber may make the front tires wear on the outsides, I know mine did. Im running -1 camber and loving it.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:00 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

In both my previous posts I asked specific questions.

The shocks adjust rebound. A lack of rebound to control the springs is the same as running a worn out shock on a stock spring, and can ride worse. Turn it up some, particularly the front. See what happens.

I'd be happy to give you more specifics, but I need answers to do it, and I'm not getting those.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
"soft" rebound doesnt = soft ride, and stiffer rebound doesn't = stiffer ride. Turn your shocks all the way up and count the number of sweeps you have, then back them down half of what you turned up, that will be a good starting point. I personally drive around the street with them 3 sweeps from full hard in the front, and full soft in the rear.
Also what tire pressure are you at? Don't say "stock", actually go out to the car and check it out, it may be way too high, some shops for whatever reason like to crank it up. Should be around 30psi on all 4.

Stock camber may make the front tires wear on the outsides, I know mine did. Im running -1 camber and loving it.
Why full hard/full soft? What advantages does that have?

As far as tire pressure, I said stock b/c stock rate is 30psi on all four tires, which is the first thing I check before coming on the boards to ask this question. I didn't just presume they were stock.

I've read the -1 camber works on other threads as well. What about the other settings? Are they stock with camber being the only difference, or is everything different on your setup?

Quick Reply: What Alignment Settings For Koni/Strano Setup???