General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What car is right for me ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 12:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What car is right for me ?

Hello to all ls1tech members

First off to give you a background sort of..
I am SPC Colvin, ive been in the army for almost 2 years, out of ft campbell ky stationed in ramadi iraq.

I have owned a long list of cars ranging from s-10, h22 crx, dakota rt's, and my favorite a procharged 97 cobra, and now my current car a rather gay 2010 mazda 6, not to include about 5 more.

My question is what car is right for me and my needs/wants.

ive tossed the idea of buying a second car but i really dont care for my mazda so i want to get rid of it and get something different.

These are the things i need being in the military lol..

1. room to haul at least one full size tough box, trunk or back seat doesnt matter.
2. from campbell i live about 420 miles from home.. so id like to get at least 20mpg hwy.
3. comfort as ill be riding in the car for about 7 hours at a time.

this is what i want.

1. low 12's with little work.
2. a good handling car cus im not only a straight line guy but im about 80drag /20twisties
3. capable of running low 11's high 10's later down the road.
4. last but not least the car needs to have low low millage and cost around 20k

I know im asking this on svtp and here as well but im not biased to any car except id like to have a v8 and a manual.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for your service.

If you're willing to spend $20K then maybe look at a C5 Corvette. But if you want to spend half that, an LS1 F-body would fit all your needs just fine.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:04 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by Latch

If you're willing to spend $20K then maybe look at a C5 Corvette. But if you want to spend half that, an LS1 F-body would fit all your needs just fine.
Agreed on all counts.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:15 AM
On The Tree

Get a vette.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:47 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Latch

Yep to the comment above, and on to my next question. Is Ramadi still a complete shithole? I remember how crappy it was when I was in Fallujah in 04.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:46 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Vette like said above, but personally I'd go for a GTO-I need that backseat...
Old 09-29-2011, 02:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ramadi was a shithole when I was there... Hopefully they "built" it up.

Agreed above. C5 Vette. 98-02 F-Body, or maybe a goat (GTO).

The only reason I have a F-Body is the Solid Rear Axle. Yes you suffer on cornering, but I can deal with that... I like going in a straight line.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:26 AM
12 Second Club

You can get a decent C5Z06 for around 20K if you look hard enough. That's what I'd go for if I had it to do all over again.

Be safe over there. I did 2 tours in Iraq but I was at Bahqubah and Warrior in Kirkuk for mine
Old 09-29-2011, 04:50 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah thank you bud, ok my list would be c5 zo6,03,04 cobra, there both nice cars but honest you can find a 03 cobra with a kenne bell and a slew of other mods for around the price range you have posted, a few of my friends have 03 cobras with kb blowers and there just nasty street cars, i love the c5zo6 and heads n cam will get you a good amount of hp and meet your goals,but there isnt much room in them,with the cobra you have the backseats and a ok trunk space,my next car will be more than likely a 03 cobra but there is no way i will be getting rid of my ss, with winter headed this way there is going to be lots of great deals in the next few months,would be your best time to buy a car ,if your willing to travel to get a car that is your best bet, just have to look and find the car you want
Old 09-29-2011, 05:18 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks to everyone who responed and yes ramadi is a **** hole.. the company im with was here back in 08 and they closed it down then and were closing it down AGAIN lol

as far as the c5z goes.. there is deff no space for luggage in that thing or id already have one lol
ive been considering a goat but at the same time ive considered a 03/04 cobra and a ws6.. hell even considered s197 GT's.. but ive come down to a tie between the goat and terminator... i posted this on here and svtp so i can get both biased opinions lol
Old 09-29-2011, 05:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

GTOs are nice but trunk space lacks.

mine has 32000 on it and its yours for 17k.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:10 AM
Staging Lane

^ i unfortunatly have to be trading in my current ride (gay 2010 mazda6 ) wish i could but it outright but i cant. If i could buy a second car it would be a c5z but i have to buy my next car from a dealer to whom which ill be trading my car in on or if it ever sales locally that would work too.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you're looking for a car with a back seat, go with a LS1 Fbody or 03/04 Cobra... But the back seats in those aren't comfortable due to the lack of leg room.

They're very cheap to mod also.

I love my corvette, but the biggest down side is the cost to mod and maintain it. Sometimes I wish I would have just kept my 02 SS and modded that. I could have had a 1000rwhp SS with the money I have into mine alone, instead, I have one making about half the power for the same price.

With a 03/04 cobra, you can do a KB/whipple setup and make over 600rwhp for a very reasonable price and still get awesome gas milage.

Just go out and test drive different things and see what you like best. You can make anything fast with enough time and money.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:33 AM
Staging Lane

^ im no stranger to lsx or the svt and am well aware of the capabilities and cost

as i said its a tie between the ls2 gto and 03/04 cobra. both can fit a tough box in back im sure and idc about passengers and both have the capabilities of running deep into the 11's with fairly cheap mods.

i love ford but am just making sure i consider all options to include the ls2 gto and even the ls1 f-body's.

also the only thing left to do is test drive a 03/04 cobra, ive test driven a gto and loved it and ive owned a 97 cobra and loved it and test driven an 01 cobra.. im just trying to get everyones opinion lol trying not to be biased toward the cobra if you know what i mean..
Old 09-29-2011, 02:06 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by blake_colvin
^ im no stranger to lsx or the svt and am well aware of the capabilities and cost

as i said its a tie between the ls2 gto and 03/04 cobra. both can fit a tough box in back im sure and idc about passengers and both have the capabilities of running deep into the 11's with fairly cheap mods.

i love ford but am just making sure i consider all options to include the ls2 gto and even the ls1 f-body's.

also the only thing left to do is test drive a 03/04 cobra, ive test driven a gto and loved it and ive owned a 97 cobra and loved it and test driven an 01 cobra.. im just trying to get everyones opinion lol trying not to be biased toward the cobra if you know what i mean..

If you do get a Goat, get the 06. Better taillights, colors to choose from, and they fixed most of the problems that they had with the 04-05's. DONT get an 04, we had nothing but problems with ours.

Another thought; if you need luggage space why not a CTS V (Older gen) or a G8GT? I love my G8. I had a 2000 Trans am Almost the entire time I was in the Army and I had enough room for all my TA50 and duffels in the hatch with the backseat down.

I kinda vote Fbody on this one. And I've had 2 goats, 4 Fbods, A G8GT, a 99 Mustang GT, a 92 Fox 5.0 and my Ex had a Termi that I drove a lot so I am not too biased. With an Fbody it's easy to make power cheap, you can get one cheap, and if you halfway know what you are doing you can do a lot of the work yourself and save yourself some $$. A Termi is an awesome car too though. Just depends on what you want and which one you like better. I know I am definitely getting a C5Z06 here soon or a C6 after my truck is paid for.

Edit: You can get parts cheap for F bodies too, it's expensive to mod GTO's. A good Catback is around 600-800$ and headers are around the same
Old 09-29-2011, 05:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Strickly from a performance stand point I wouldn't want a GTO over an LS1 Fbody... The Fbodies are lighter, handle better (stock vs stock is a wash, but with the right mods the Fbody dominates the same Autox class the GTO competes in...), are cheaper to own/mod and arguably easier to make fast. Obviously the GTO is a better built car, and more comfortable.
4th gen Fbody is also going to outhandle a SN95 car (again compete in the same autox class, the SN95 doesn't even compare).
Old 09-29-2011, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

I put a tough box in my 98 z28 with lots of room to spare. And you can pick them up for half the price, then have 10k to play with.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd definately go with the 03/04 Cobra over a GTO. Nothing against GTO's, but I just like the Cobra's more.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:40 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wooddaniel
If you do get a Goat, get the 06. Better taillights, colors to choose from, and they fixed most of the problems that they had with the 04-05's. DONT get an 04, we had nothing but problems with ours.

Another thought; if you need luggage space why not a CTS V (Older gen) or a G8GT? I love my G8. I had a 2000 Trans am Almost the entire time I was in the Army and I had enough room for all my TA50 and duffels in the hatch with the backseat down.

I kinda vote Fbody on this one. And I've had 2 goats, 4 Fbods, A G8GT, a 99 Mustang GT, a 92 Fox 5.0 and my Ex had a Termi that I drove a lot so I am not too biased. With an Fbody it's easy to make power cheap, you can get one cheap, and if you halfway know what you are doing you can do a lot of the work yourself and save yourself some $$. A Termi is an awesome car too though. Just depends on what you want and which one you like better. I know I am definitely getting a C5Z06 here soon or a C6 after my truck is paid for.

Edit: You can get parts cheap for F bodies too, it's expensive to mod GTO's. A good Catback is around 600-800$ and headers are around the same
Im not much on the sedan thing but i will give them a look.
I will most likely take away from your statement that a Fbody ws6 preferd considering you say you had one and could fit a tough box with ease so thats a big relief lol (oh yea if i got a gto it would deff be an 06 )

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Strickly from a performance stand point I wouldn't want a GTO over an LS1 Fbody... The Fbodies are lighter, handle better (stock vs stock is a wash, but with the right mods the Fbody dominates the same Autox class the GTO competes in...), are cheaper to own/mod and arguably easier to make fast. Obviously the GTO is a better built car, and more comfortable.
4th gen Fbody is also going to outhandle a SN95 car (again compete in the same autox class, the SN95 doesn't even compare).
I am aware that the Fbody out performs/handles every car in its class and possibly then some but also the comfort of the gto draws my attention. while it is more expensive to mod, it is newer and will likely have less millage so it therefore appeals to me as well.

Originally Posted by T-Top
I put a tough box in my 98 z28 with lots of room to spare. And you can pick them up for half the price, then have 10k to play with.
Thanks for that confirmation. again a relief to hear about the fbody and tough box.

Originally Posted by Camaro_94
I'd definately go with the 03/04 Cobra over a GTO. Nothing against GTO's, but I just like the Cobra's more.
Its starting to look like ws6 and the 03/04 cobra

still cant shake the gto completly, just depends on how good of a deal i can find honestly.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:24 AM
12 Second Club

Im not much on the sedan thing but i will give them a look.
I will most likely take away from your statement that a Fbody ws6 preferd considering you say you had one and could fit a tough box with ease so thats a big relief lol (oh yea if i got a gto it would deff be an 06 )
Yeah, I bought my Trans Am in 04 with 24000 Miles on it for 14K. 6 Speed base model TA. (I bought a WS6 After my first deployment) It was cheap to mod, nothing ever broke on it major, I cant say enough good things about the Fbody platform. The difference between them and the GTO is definitely the comfort factor. The GTO is just built better. The interior is the best GM has ever produced and it's a smoother driving car. Wasn't for me though, as I sold my 06 and bought another Fbody. I missed the performance and the cheaper moddability of the Fbody. I always wanted a Termi and they have held their value well. Just go out and drive a bunch of cars, see what you like best.