Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

going to switch from borla to true duals?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default going to switch from borla to true duals?

hey guys, i got a set of lanes true duals from a friend of mine and im gonna put them on my car this weekend to see what i gain at the track. they were to loud for him. he thinks my car will pick up enough to dip into the 7's at the track (1/8). the best ive run is an 8.09@90.95mph. i run the middle plate in my borla now. as far as weight is concerned im not sure if the lanes is lighter or not. i will weigh them both and let you know. the lanes is the one with the x pipe and they dump before the axle. anyway what do you guys think? should i see any gains?
Old 03-08-2004, 10:44 AM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

should be lighter due to less piping and no big muffler and tips like the borla, should be a good bit lighter, i know my old true duals setup(no x pipe though) weighed nothign compared to a catback.

if you've only been running a middle/half way open plate in the borla you will gain some hp from the duals, and the tq will prolly stay around the same.

should be a good move.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks i hope so. he is letting me try them out to see if i like them. if i do he wants to trade me for the borla.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:26 PM
TECH Regular

you should gain a lot of power under the curve with the duals, and they are lighter than a ypipe/catback setup
Old 03-08-2004, 02:40 PM
On The Tree

Most of the duals i've built weighed about 35 lbs. That's much lighter than a catback and ORY. I had a SOTP gain when I put my duals on.
Old 03-08-2004, 04:49 PM
TECH Resident

When you install the Lane'd duals please tell us how the install went. I am curious as to how easy the install will be as well as the quality of the pipes i.e. proper bracket locations, ground clearance issues, etc.

Thanks
Old 03-09-2004, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

im going to try and put them on before friday. they look good but they are all black.on the website they look stainless but i guess not. my buddie said thats the way they came. i can't wait to hear and feel the difference. ill keep you guys posted.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:17 AM
Teching In

How did you like the Borla, Hooker Longtubes, and ORY set up? How was the sound and what ORY pipe did you end up using? Thanks and good luck with your new set up!
Old 03-11-2004, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

hey silver beast, i noticed you live in ruffin. you're the guy everyone mistakes me for when they see me (people i don't know wave at me all the time). your car looks pretty bad ***, when you get the duals on, pm me so i can meet up and here that thing! i thought i had the only silver Z around till i saw you about 2 weeks after i got mine!
Old 03-13-2004, 02:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

hey guys im back. well i finally got the exhaust put on. i started out trying to do it myself with my car on jackstands, wrong. that didnt work. so i took it to a local muffler shop and they only charged me $40 bucks to switch it out.well worth it. anyway putting them on was easy, it was harder getting the borla off than it was putting the lanes on. my first impressions are i really like the deep sound. but it isnt louder than the borla. the borla has a higher pitch. the drone in the car is worse than with the borla. but hey now my car sounds like a race car. every one that has heard it likes it better than the borla. as far as the difference in power i really cant tell a whole lot. it feels good though. i weighed the duals and they weighed 34lbs. i havent weighed the borla yet but its got to be over 50lbs. ill let you know what it weighs tomorrow. im going to the track (peidmont) sunday to see if it made any difference. i dont expect alot of gains but ive got my fingers crossed.

hey meso, thanks for the compliments, like i said im going to the track sunday so you ought to come down. if you see me in town flag me down and ill let you hear my car. but you will probally hear me before you see me.

6speed, i liked the borla hooker set up alot. the borla has alot of rasp though.that was the only thing about it. the best part was you could change the sounds by changing plates. i used the hooker ory. well guys gotta get
Old 03-13-2004, 03:05 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by silverbeast
hey guys, i got a set of lanes true duals from a friend of mine and im gonna put them on my car this weekend to see what i gain at the track. they were to loud for him. he thinks my car will pick up enough to dip into the 7's at the track (1/8). the best ive run is an 8.09@90.95mph. i run the middle plate in my borla now. as far as weight is concerned im not sure if the lanes is lighter or not. i will weigh them both and let you know. the lanes is the one with the x pipe and they dump before the axle. anyway what do you guys think? should i see any gains?
How much do you want for your Borla?
Old 03-13-2004, 03:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

the guy i got the true duals wants them. sorry, but there is one in the parts for sale for like 175 dollars. it is missing the pipe over the axle.maybe you could call borla and get that one piece because that is really cheap!!
Old 03-14-2004, 01:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

i finally weighed my borla exhaust. with all the clamps,brackets,and bolts that came off my car it weighs 64 lbs! the lanes weighed in at 331/2 lbs. that blew my mind. so far i like the sound but the drone in the car is about to drive me nuts. i might have to run them out the back. my wife hates them. she likes the borla better. i will find out tomorrow at the track if it helped any. ill let you guys know.