Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a 100k mile 01 SS tonight, need basic help with maintenance and my first mods

Old 09-29-2011, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Buying a 100k mile 01 SS tonight, need basic help with maintenance and my first mods

Well I pretty much summed it up in the title, I'm buying my brothers 2001 Camaro SS w/ 105k miles on it tonight. I know he hasn't really beaten on it, he drives like an old lady, but what would be the basic maintenance I should do upon bringing it home? I'm also going to have about $1,500 for some mods once I get it so what would you do to get the most out of the LS1? I'm not opposed to getting a cam or anything, I have a shop and can perform all the work myself.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Headers, y-pipe, and your choice of catback. You'll probably have enough for a lid and few other small goodies.

OR, you could go heads+cam combo. That would run you close to 1500, if not over. Your choice. I'd think it would be more beneficial to do boltons before a h/c though.

Your car, your choice, your decision.

Congrats on the SS. Is it an M6 or A4? Post some pics up. Welcome to the world of tech. You'll learn a lot here.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

good for you man, 01' SS is a nice ride. as far as immediate maintenance goes. change the oil, oil filter, check/replace brake fluid, check clutch fluid, check tranny fluid, i even go as far as to make sure the differential is filled up. Change your fuel filter. you got $1,500 you say hmmmm..... cam $400, what heads do you have? if they are 241's or 243's port them yourself ($350 includes materials, pressure testing, decking and a valve job), LS7 lifters $150, new push rods $175, new valve springs and retainers $300, valve seals $40, new adjustable timing set $175, new power bond or slp balancer w/under drive pulley $250, new spark plugs $50, new wires $100, new gaskets $200, Fluids $100... just blew the budget that was a total of $2,290... doing it right gets expensive quick

damn i forgot exhaust..... do you have $3,500 b/c then you would have a money winner
Old 09-29-2011, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

headers, exhaust and cold air...also lowering springs. dont get heads or a cam untill you have your boltons out of the way. btw, a head and cam combo will run you alot more than $1500
Old 09-29-2011, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

It's an M6 Black on Black T-tops, the paint is shitty cause my bro had it in college at UC Santa Barbara, Isla Vista is a packed party town full of drunk haters so its been nicked here and there. I'm not too worried about cosmetics right now.

When you guys mention I need headers first what exactly should I be getting? Obviously long tubes, but there are like $1000 Kooks and then some $200 eBay headers. How shitty is the eBay stuff? Is the cold air intake any different then getting an SLP lid and K&n or something or is it a whole cold air kit? And yea I wanna get some lowering springs, I'm usually a bagged and body dropped truck guy, this is my first real car. Thanks for the help so far, could you guys give me brands that I can trust with reasonable pricing? Where do you guys buy stuff online? There is a guy selling FLP Headers for $400 not too far from me on Craigslist, can I buy something like that used.

Search this Thread